“Priced for Tourists”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: 022555025
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Didn't try the food, so no comment there. Had a pint of Kilkenny (250bht or about $8) for myself & a (happy hour) small bottle of Singha (80bht or $2.5) for my wife. The plus in rating is to the prices (though pricey), at least they didn't charge the Service charge (purely would of been an owner's fee). The staff was to be expected, serve & disappear; and the atmosphere rather bland for an Irish Pub, though not without some...more or less intolerable tourist types, overall will avoid next time.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Took 5/6 of my friends here who were on holiday from the uk for a drink before levels.

We all ordered food and drink which was overpriced but ok- what you expect from an Irish bar in Bangkok.

But one of my friends then accidentally knocked over and broke a cocktail glass. She was very apologetic but the waitress came over and rudely demanded that she pay for the glass.

I asked how much the glass was and was told this was 200 baht. I then replied "oh sorng roi baht lor? ja glap tee nee boi na khrap", playfully but sarcastically saying "200 baht right? Ok, I will be coming back here often". The waitress seemed to panic when she saw that I could speak thai, realising that she was not just ripping off a tourist. I asked for the bill there and then as I didn't feel like drinking there any more (might otherwise have stayed for at least a couple more overpriced rounds). The 200 baht fee for 'broken glass' was included on the bill. I did not want to start an argument so paid the bill in full (about 2000 baht).

I asked to speak with the manager but was told that he had already gone home to bed.

There was an entry for a broken glass on the bill so the inflated 200 baht charge was clearly a policy. However none of us were drunk, there were 3 farang girls, 3 farang boys (all lawyers incidentally) just eating and drinking and the break was clearly an accident and we had already spent a lot on drink or food so I would have hoped a bit of common sense could have prevailed and the fee could have been waived in our case.

Needless to say I will never go back to this place. If you want to drink in an ex pat English/Irish bar on sukhumvit I would recommend Robin Hood and the Irish bar on sukhumvit soi 33/1 instead. These have more of a regular ex pat crowd and i would think would be less likely to charge an artificially inflated broken glass charge to rip off tourists.

The thing that disappointed me the most is my friends whose first visit it was to Thailand were left with a very bad experience from the city and country that I love.

3  Thank Rickosound
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Mulligans doesn't try to be too oirish, so there's not so much of the usual clutter and fake historic adverts, compared with many plastic paddy bars.
What it does, and does well, is straight-up pub food and cold beer, with an outdoor terrace to take in all the usual sites of Bankgok nightlife. We had a good selection of food and the starters in particular were very good. There is a range of accessible thai and regional dishes.
Food arrived very quickly and the waiting staff were very friendly and smiley.

1  Thank Shedheadabroad
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Trust, had a great lunch there along with friends. Really food is tasty but service needs to be improved. I had the best chicken buffalo wings in Bangkok. They've a wide selection of Beers and Spirits and really good one to drink at outdoor area. Food & drink is little bit pricey but tasty. The ambiance and decor is fantastic. For me it's a must visit place in bangkok for a meal at least. Cheers !

1  Thank Shohagepyllion
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Usually when in Bangkok I stay in a hotel across the street. Although I've lived in the region for many years, I do occasionally enjoy a pint of Guinness and Irish style bar food. I've always found the staff friendly and the food good at this bar. The manager has always been friendly.