“Central hotel if you want to visit Khao San road”

ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai
Ranked #165 of 884 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in 2009 for the first time. If you are visiting Khao San road then this location is really central. The surrounding areas are quite interesting, which is another bonus.

The rooms have not changed since 2009, they are a little dated. The bed was comfortable, we asked for an extra pillow for my wife and the staff were happy to oblige. The bathroom was fairly small, but clean and functional.

We needed to leave our bags in lockup, the concierge charged 30 Baht per day and the staff were extremely helpful. When I returned to fetch my bags 2 days later I handed in the slip and got my bags back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the parking lot side are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Viengtai, Manager at ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We are definitely listening carefully to our guests. It is in our 2013 plan to refresh our standard rooms to provide value and comfort to our guests.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at the Viengtai for 2 nights at the end of January we were pleased with our room; it was clean and comfortable and was at the back of the hotel so was very quiet at night (we stayed in a deluxe double room) The location is great on the Rambuttri Road with some really nice restaurants just opposite the hotel and lots of relaxed bars and restaurants all around it's also just a couple of minutes away from the Koh San Road. Breakfast was really good too. The pool area was nice, the pool was quite cold but looked nice, the best time to sunbathe is in the morning as by early afternoon the pool area is in the shade - still nice to relax in though. I would say that this hotel is a good 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel so you don't hear the noise from the street.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Loula43

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for giving us a positive review. We are happy to learn that you have enjoyed our accommodation and services.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We first stayed here in 2007 as part of a group tour. This time we syated here for 3 days on our way back from a trip from the Middle East.

We chose a standard room but it was extremely big with a big bathroom including a full sized bath and very nice furnishings. i have not seen some of the better rooms but they must be amazing.

We did not make use of the breakfast as we woke up too late but i remember it was fabulous when we stayed here before.

The location is great just near the food stalls, and restaurants ; however it wa extremely quiet.
Free WIFI was available in the lobby and was fast and efficient.

Staff were very nice and friendly.

The only downside was that I requested a double bed when booking and were given twin single beds. My husband and I did not say anything as we were too tired after the flight. It is a very big hotel and we booked well ahead so you think they could hve accomodated our request,

We arranged a airport transfer before we left and although I sent them an email at least a month before we left -that is two and a half mothns before we wre duue to stay there, they only replied back while we were away and expected me to confirm by email. It was lucky we took our laptop but it was not possible to reply for a while . they need to have asystem where they reply quickly to all emails.
The airport transfer was on time and was great ;however, it was quite expensive and going home we did an airport transfer for so much less.

On the whoe it was an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but a rrom on a higher floor is probably quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl255060

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for taking time to review our hotel. We appreciate your constructive comments and would definitely take them into consideration to improve our services, especially how our reservation team can be more efficient in replying and confirming guests’ bookings.

We look forward to welcoming you back in a near future.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Just woken up after our 2nd night sleeping here.

The first night, I woke up with bites all over my body after spending the night scratching. I assumed I must've been bitten outside.

It is the morning after night 2. I am dead-tired as I had to get up, after 2 hours trying to get to sleep, put on my jeans and a cardigan to cover my body. Grabbed a towel from the bathroom,slept on that in my clothes as the itching was unbearable.

I look like a drug-addict scratching at imaginary bugs. My body is covered in bites.

Hotel staff said they cannot see anything with their naked eyes so that's that.

My friend who has bites on her face said this morning how 2 bugs crawled out of her book.

Disgusting.

Awful ending to a memorable trip.

Stay here for proximity to Khao San and nightlife attractions BUT bring spray AND your own sheets.

• Stayed: February 2013
Viengtai, Manager at ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Mandi Tripping,

Firstly, thank you very much for bringing to our attention about the bedbugs. We hope that you had alerted our staff about it and that they had immediately given you a new room. We would appreciate more information from you ; please send details of your stay to info@viengtai.co.th

We truly apologize for such inconvenience. Our hotel has taken preventive actions through a service from the very best pest controller in the country.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

i have rated this hotel well previously, but there has been a change in direction by management since then.

The lobby was filled and i mean filled with backpackers (60+ people + luggage) on several occasions when i stayed there in January 2013. Also the WIFI is free in the lobby area, so rather that sit in the internet cafes and sweat it out and pay (very cheap amounts), all the backpackers freeload in the lobby. The feeling is like a teenager hangout and awful. Empty drink bottles, stinky feet on tables, stinky backpackers everywhere.
The lobby is not a peaceful retreat from the madness of Khosan and Rambuttri Roads as it previously was. If you have to wait for a room/ flight or a hotel pick up, the lobby now feels very restless and noisy, finding a spot to sit not so easy. Having to ease past sloughing university students while they play games or check emails in between Contiki Tour pick ups and loudly swapping gossip and slurping and burping and recounting drunken tales from the previous night or action from the last tour or the best place for washing, the best exchange rate etc. It was awful actually.

The security door man is not so quick opening the door anymore as the backpackers wander in and out constantly. They have worn down his Thai pride and warm smile. Several times we were watched as we entered backwards with full loads of either shopping or bags while he sat and looked on.

Business hotel for small business people and family stopover, medical traveler's i am not sure anymore.
The location is great, the old staff great, the new staff unsure of the rules.
The staff have a heavy feeling that is not as it was previously was. The morale feels low and smiles feel forced, something i have never experienced there before.

The room price has also increased and then been discounted. Which might fool some travelers', but actually just looks cheap and fake. Depending on what you are looking for this might still be good value for you. The location is great. Worn out but clean. The TV static overbearing, and the lights in the room very dim. Wonderful food and music right at the door and a not so low price. But this comes with a comprise now, backpackers and backpacks galore.

Sadly I will be looking for elsewhere to rest my head when in bkk. i have been staying this hotel for over 8 years, so not an easy review to write,

The pillows are like mounds of hard puffed bags of washing and just when you think you are comfortable you roll off the pillow...also the cleaning lady swapped my low flat pillow for a puffy hard number each time the room was cleaned, very helpful.

Depending on what you want this might be perfect.
Khao san - tick
Clean - tick
secure - tick
breakfast - tick - before 9.15am
sleep quality - tick - only at the pool or back side
value - no ticks from me

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nonduplume
Viengtai, Manager at ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review of our hotel. Your review is very meaningful and constructive and we thank you again for the chance to service you over the years.

January is indeed a busy month for us. We feel sorry that the commotion at our lobby did cause you some inconvenience. Recently, we have made major efforts to improve our services.

Firstly, wifi is now free and available for guests anywhere in the hotel, not just at the lobby or at the cafeteria. Secondly, for those guests seeking peace and comfort, away from the noises & the party festivity of Rambutri Street, we would recommend that they reserve rooms at the pool & garden side. Such information is now posted in our website.

We feel sorry to have lost such a loyal client and wish to thank you again for staying with us in January. We hope we would get a second chance to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Great location, easy to get to tourist attractions and shopping areas, clean and comfortable rooms, nice though small pool, friendly staff, great buffet breakfast. Rooms at the front of the hotel are subject to street noise at night.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback to Viengtai Hotel on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed our location, room, buffet breakfast and our staff.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on my first trip to Thailand and had no problems so decided to use it again. When I went to check out i realised they have employed a new guy to check the rooms on checkout. Apparently my towels and bed sheets were dirty (they had been used but were absolutely fine) but he said I needed to pay well over 1000 bhat to replace them and threatened to call the police even though I had not even argued my case. If this guy is still there - which I am sure he is I would stay well clear of this hotel. He is terrible and ruined my whole experience. I would never stay here again and fully recommend avoiding it at all costs.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel not this one
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Valued Customer,

We thank you for your review. Your report on the 1,000 Baht fine has alerted us to investigate on the case. We would appreciate more information from you on details of your stay. Kindly send them to us at info@viengtai.co.th .

We feel sorry that your experience with us has been unpleasant.
Thank you again for staying with us.