“Clean, comfortable and convenient”

ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai
Ranked #122 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in February 2012. We arrived at 11am, but had to come back after 12pm to check in. I noticed that there are signs on the counter saying check in is from 2pm - which is quite late.

Our room was clean and comfortable. Nothing fancy, but what you'd expect for the price. It's definitely one of the nicer hotels in the immediate vicinity.

We had a room on the "noisy" side of the hotel on Rambuttri Rd. It didn't really bother us, because we were so tired after big days, that we just fell to sleep. I'm also pretty sure it stopped around 1am. It definitely didn't go all night.

The hotel breakfast was really good - good variety and price.

The swimming pool was also well maintained and clean - however, you have to go down a very steep outdoor staircase to access it.

There is a cute little restaurant downstairs (next to the breakfast buffet room), and I enjoyed a quiet afternoon wine here on most days.

If you're looking to stay near Kao San Road and want affordable, clean, non-hostel accommodation, I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room away from Rambuttri Rd.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 17, 2012

This is definitely the better hotel we found in the near vicinity of Khaosan road (2 minute walk) except the Nuovo Hotel which was way better but a ten minute walk. Directly located in the action of restaurants, shopping, bars. Nice, clean rooms, nice restaurant. Decent buffet breakfast. Free wifi. I would stay again.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2012

This place is in a great location, but is a little overpriced. Breakfast buffet was excellent value. Some people are concerned about the noise from the street below, but I didn't find that to be an issue.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2012

This hotel instantly gains appeal by being one of the few "quality" hotels in the Khao San Rd area - for those that want the touristy, alcohol-fueled Khao San Rd experience without slumming it in a hostel.

Similar to another reviewer, we arrived at 6am and expected to have to leave our bags and check in later, but we were instantly shown to our room. We thought we might have made a mistake and booked from the day before, but that wasn't the case! They had us in a twin room on Level 3 - the smoking level, so we spoke to the porter and we were changed to a double on level 5 - non smoking.

The A/C in the room was noisy, but it was a nice white noise in the end that drowned out the noise of the bars on nights when we just wanted to sleep instead of go out. The bed was comfy, the room was always made up neatly and prompty, and the A/C worked well. The included breakfast was vast and mostly of good quality.

Our main complaints were that there was no in-room safe - essential in our eyes for Thailand travel. They could provide secure storage at reception, but that wasn't convenient. I only just fit under the roof in the shower, and I'm not exceptionally tall. The wifi wasn't free either, and when we paid the exorbitant price it was super slow.

Despite these complaints, they were pretty minor when considering the cost paid (2000B/night) for the location and otherwise cleanly nature and welcoming staff.

Room Tip: Avoid level 3 - smoking rooms. Get a room at the back of the property if you want to avoid the noise...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matt D
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Just returned from a weekend stay at the Viengtai and the hotel has improved since my previous visits... not that I had anything to complain about then though.
There's free 24-hour internet in the room - no need to buy vouchers any more - and I was given a free one-way limousine transfer to or from the airport as part of a package staying for two nights or more.
The too-warm aircon was fixed in 5 mins by maintenance even though it was late evening and nothing was too much trouble for the ever-smiling professional staff.
The Viengtai also supplied a wider range of toiletries than the (supposdely 5-star)JW Marriott Bangkok that I stayed in last week.
Only possible negative is
Am looking forward to returning to the Viengtai next time I want to stay near the KSR in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the hotel to avoid street noise - the bars opposite are noisy from about...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Nice hotel. This time the first impression was excellent. I arrived after a long flight at 7am expecting to be told I could only check in later. I was expecting to pay for another day to get a room so early. In fact not a word was said. They just checked me in and gave me a key. By this they won my heart. Well done.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel is much quiter than the front which is on a street which is noisy all night.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is it's great location, just behind the khao San road- the road which has everything a backpacker could possibly want. There is noise from the street, but this tends to fade by 2 am. Breakfast is decent and there is a large swimming pool for guests to use. My one criticism is the beds were too hard for me- although this is becoming a theme in Thailand!

• Stayed: February 2012