“Fair place but could have been cleaner”

Somerset Park Suanplu
Ranked #134 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The hotel is situated some 10 min walk from Silom Road and Sala Daeng Sky train station. The distance is easy to walk but the hotel has also a free TukTuk transport service to Sala Daeng.

The appartments are spacy and well equipped but cleaning could definitely have been done better. It was quite dirty around swithches and door handles, they probably weren't wiped for a while.

The service when having problems with AC worked fast and problem was fixed directly. Staff friendly towards Europeans but somehow less pleasant towards Thai citizens.

Breakfast was average and the Thai courses were not refilled although asked for. It seems like the breakfast restaurant is outsourced to other company and several of the staff is obviously Burmese. Just hope that that staff is fair treated, unfortunately not so common. for Burmese guest workers in Thailand.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear LasseBromma,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay.

Whilst overall I read you enjoyed your stay, I do wish to apologise for some shortcomings with our housekeeping cleanliness. I am discussing the marks you point out with our team to see if these can be removed.

I will also share your comments with our restauarant operator to improve their efficiency when refilling the buffet line.

Finally, I can confirm that both the Thai and Burmese staff working at Panya Restaurant are paid more than the Thailand Goverment minimum wage introduced last year.

Once again, thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Somerset in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Somerset Park Suanplu

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Nice staff. Ok rooms but in need of renovation. Noisy. Can hear everythng from hallway and through the walls. But the internet is atrocious. Forget any kind of useful internet, it is abysmally slow and cuts out repeatedly. The hotel falls back on its statement that they do not assure a constant connection. Go to the neighboring Marriott and pay a bit more and get a real business facility. A shame.It has taken over 30 minutes to post this since the internet keeps cutting out.

• Stayed: June 2013
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear 24Hour,

It was a great pleasure having you stay at Somerset Park Suanplu.

While we strive to maintain the highest customer satisfaction standards, monitoring our effectiveness can be a challenge at times. We welcome suggestions such as yours as they indicate the areas where we can further improve.

I have noted your observations and recommendations for improvements to the internet and am pleased to advise we have recently changed ISP supplier and in process of more than doubling our current bandwidth from 1st August 2013 to meet the ever growing demand for higher speed internet. Our complimentary internet is limited to basic emails and surfing however a premium connection is available.

We will continue in our improvement efforts to provide excellent service and products to our guests.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here 25th May until June 8th 2013. The apartments are spacious with all the facilities you require. The gym and pool are great. I smashed a fair bit of time out in that gym. This hotel is really good value for money compared to the prices for hotels you'd get in Melbourne. Really not even comparable. I enjoyed the buffet breakfast immensely, especially after my morning work outs. The staff are ALL so friendly and helpful from the gatehouse, to lobby, restaurant, reception, housekeeping and gym/spa. Well done. I'd definitely stay here again and recommend to people travelling to BKK. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the beautiful tranquil garden below. The twinkling city lights are mesmerising...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Mar lene D
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Mar lene D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with us.

We are happy to have met your expectations and endeavour to continually delight our guests whenever they stay with us.

Thank you for your valued patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I try to stay at Somerset Hotels if they have a deal on etc - I joined their list so I get the offers - saved over 10,000 bhat on a 2 bedroom over 4 nights so saved lots!

One thing - taxi's don't know this hotel so well SO tell them is right by the Marriot Hotel AND keep saying Suanplu AND print out the address and once there get some cards from hotel front desk to show taxi drivers!

This room had carpets - kind of old - I didn't care - should tile it but whatever.

Was a 2 bedroom and was all good - amazing really - 21st floor - view of city day and night! Amazing pool and workout facilities.

Best Part - the Breakfast! I paid 300 bhat per person per day BUT at hotel was 250 Bhat so not sure why cheaper if not pay ahead =)

Location - a 50 bhat tuk tuk ride to McDonalds and Sizzlers - and then 120 Bhat to any mall downtown - Terminal 21 was my favorite - MPK I think was the other big one with TONS of bargains - in both malls the higher you go the better the price!

OH = the best massage - I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and went 4 times - was amazing - you can Facebook them to message them to book etc - Ruen Nuad Massage - again its a 50 Bhat tuk tuk ride - is very near this hotel!

Also - if you go - don't buy bhat at the airport - I got 29 bhat per $1 and at any mall I got closer to 31 per $1 so ya on 1500 I would of been 3,000 bhat - goes far in Thailand!

I ate at Sizzlers - amazing! Also Tony Romas at Terminal 21 - loved it!

I did the world's largest Market Chatuchak Market in Bangkok - took a tax i - you can do the train if you want but taxi's don't cost much!

Oh - and the train from the airport to downtown - did it - skip it - take a cab - lets you off at the end with nothing there but a busy road and taxi guys driving by - says taxi stand but that means this way to the street - trust me - take a taxi!

Enjoy! Amazing City and I live in Asia so I will go back and do it again and bring an extra suitcase!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dean P

Dear DeanP,

Thank you for your great review on your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time, we are happy to have met your expectations in service and quality standards. Receiving such positive feedback from our guests motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service. Yes, becoming a member on our website (and it is free) certainly allows you to receive great member discounts at certain times of the year.

Once again, thank you for your valued patronage. From all of us at Somerset Park Suanplu, we look forward to welcoming you again at any one of our serviced residences.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel-apartment block is situated along Thanon Suanplu just off South Sathorn Road in a nice peacefull garden. Arrival was welcoming, also check-in and out. The apartments are spacious and well equiped with kitchen and other amenities. There is a nice swimming pool and gymn on the 5th floor. Breakfast is adequate with a choice of Western and Asian dishes. Connections down town to the shopping areas are surprizingly fast by taxi considering the traffic along Sathorn. All in all this hotel should appeal to and satisfy most tastes, especially families, and is good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PeterHelsinki
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear PeterHelsinki,

Thank you for choosing Somerset Park Suanplu as your accommodation during your holiday in Bangkok.

It is always encouraging for us to learn that our valuable residents are satisfied with our service.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I love this hotel, and its the 3rd time that I have stayed there with my wife. The rooms are bright and spacious, the beds super comfortable, the staff warm and welcoming, and I was happy to pay for a weeks internet because the speed I got for it made getting things done very easy.

I only have one suggestion, and it's because I saw another hotel doing it in the area.
Regarding breakfast it would be great if the bacon was cooked fresh in smaller lots at the egg station, as what is in the bain marie gets very dry and isnt really that pleasant. Maybe cooked fresh in smaller amounts and served from the egg station might work?

I'll be back in late July for another 11 nights and look forward to seeing the staff who take care of me and my wife so well again.

Room Tip: High rooms for the views at night. They are also great if you happen to have a good storm come throu...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank auscotty1969

Dear auscotty1969,

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time, we are happy to have met your expectations in service and quality standards. Receiving such positive feedback from our residents motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service.

Thanks for your tip regarding the bacon. I note you are returning to us in July and would be pleased to meet you so we can make special arrangements with our restaurant operator.

Once again, thank you for your valued patronage. From all of us at Somerset Park Suanplu, we look forward to welcoming you back again in July.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I almost stayed here for a month... and have nothing to complaint about.

I felt like its my second home.

The staff is warm and always smiling and ready to help.

Rooms are huge, and very tidy.

The swimming pool and Gym is also good.

the restaurant offers good breakfast and also have few but good selection for Lunch and Dinner menu..

the 7/11 next to hotel was very very very convenient... :)

Also there is huge local market just down the street..... a good walk in the evening will lift up ur mood easily...

The only issue is massage parlour inhouse is very expensive.... but there is one really good one just next to the Hotel...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dhananjay P

Dear Dhananjay P,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay and feeling it was your home away from home. Our apartments are designed to give you that feeling and level of comfort expected.

Feedback such as yours inspire us to continually provide and improve the level of service that residents have come to expect and we are pleased that we met your expectations.

Our inhouse Day Spa offers top quality products like Jurlique and Spa services reflect product, service and surroundings. However, as you point out there are many options for massages within walking distance available that can suit all travellers budgets.

Once again, thanks for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.