“Huge Rooms!”

Ranked #149 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
San Antonio, Zambales
“Huge Rooms!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Great hotel with huge rooms. Large and airy sitting and dining area. Very comfortable bedroom with tons of wardrobe space. Bathroom with garden tub. Spacious outdoor terrace. Kitchen with microwave, oven toaster, electric water kettle, electric cooktop, plenty of cabinet and counter space. Washer/dryer in our room. Anyone can comfortably live in this hotel if they choose too.

Staff is friendly and easy to deal with. The room-cleaner is very accommodating. The restaurant waiters and staff are also good. Food is great! Love the Pad Thai!

They have a mini-mart inside the hotel compound and there's 7-11 next door. A bank with ATM a few meters away from the hotel entrance.

I definitely enjoyed staying in this hotel. I will stay again next time I'm in Bangkok. That is if I get it for less than 100USD/night... again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Roy R,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. I am pleased we have met your expectations. As a serviced apartment we can definately boast about our huge rooms when compared to most hotels.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not-to-distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Auroville, India
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I always loved the Suanplu property at Sathorn Bangkok. The rooms have an astonishing understanding of space and aesthetics. A regular resident at this place for the last 4 years, I always felt a surge of joy when I arrived there after a long journey.
From my last visit to this hotel/ apartments in January 2013, there is a marked deterioration in the quality of internet and the hotel staff's own approach to receiving complaints and redressing them.
The last time I stayed there, I had to raise alarm and even put the complaint on their parent website. Of course, the service manager responded with a denial. She said if I wanted better internet they had a paid premium service. I returned there in April. Of course I wrote an email to the reception of the hotel. They did not respond. I cant even make a call on SKYPE and thats all I am asking for, not even video streaming or anything like that.
I am disappointed. The reception staff dont meet your eye, they are evasive and even snub you. Maybe they can do nothing as they need to be evasive and skirt the issue.
Oh, so sad that I wont be returning to this in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Lata I
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Lata l,
Thanks you for your feedback.
I have personally followed the internet issue you rasie on your last few stays and have emailed you a response directly.
I sincerely hope that your favourite Bangkok property returns credibilty to you and you chose to return on your next visit.
Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Great hotel but my room had an inordinate amount of roaches in the kitchen area.

I didn't even bring in food but the filthy buggers came out in force after the lights went out.

I was only here for 5 days and then switched to another hotel in Bangkok that did not have a kitchen area.

The place is very nice and set back from the road, giving you a bit of peace and quiet in hectic Bangkok. It's also in a great location. I might consider going back again but would only take a room without a kitchen.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear BadBadMonkey

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to read this feedback and any inconvenience this may have caused you during your stay.

The residence has a regular insect control program as part of our continuing cleaning and maintenance. We also have the ability to request our contractor to re-spray any rooms that may have some insects. May I suggest in future stays, you please report this or other probelms, at any time during your stay so we can deal with any such issues immediately?

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Bangkok.
Germany
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I booked the Somerset Suanplu because we needed a moderately-priced and conveniently located hotel room big enough to accommodate a family without making everybody feel crowded. The 2 bedroom apartment we got at the Somerset was just perfect for our purpose. It consisted of one king bedroom and one twin bedroom for the kids, both with ensuite bathrooms. The living room was very spacious and the sofa set and the wooden floor seemed to be new. Thus we felt very comfortable during our stay. The apartment was clean and the furniture was modern yet showed some signs of wear and tear. The kitchen featured everything a family of four would need to cook a meal. An additional plus was the washing machine and dryer, which we made use of before we moved on to our next destination. Even a little sachet of detergent was provided.
Breakfast consisted of a good selection of Thai and western-style dishes, there was something for every taste.
There is a tuk-tuk service to the BTS station (but Silom station is only about a 15 minute walk away), it runs every half hour, however it can carry only six passenger, thus our family of four never had a chance to make use of it, since there were always at least three other guests waiting for a ride. Since taxis are cheap this was no big deal and the staff was very helpful when it came to arranging transport. However, the lady at the travel desk tried to rip us off when we needed an oversized taxi to go to Dong Muang airport. She wanted to charge us 900 TBH for the trip. We had a feeling that this was too much and instead opted for two metered taxis. The total for both taxis ran up to 610 THB, including the toll fee for both cars and the fact that the drivers took the liberty of a little detour. Apart from that all the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Mr. Ice, who speaks perfect German.
My only other - or rather my children's only other - complaint is the temperature of the pool water. Despite the roaring heat of Bangkok the water was rather cold. I assume that this is owed to the fact that the pool - though outdoors - is covered and does not get much sun.

We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Fragast Family,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your stay with us. I am pleased the residence met all your expectations and more. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Just got back from Bangkok on 23rd Mac 2013. Staying at this hotel for 3 nights starting from 20th Mac 2013. I've chosed this hotel because they have free hotel tuk tuk (some kind of transportation) to BTS skytrain Sala Daeng station which is the nearest skytrain station to the hotel. Actually the distance is not too far for walking but the weather in Bangkok is not acceptable. Walking around the city by foot under the hot shiny sun especially when you have kids along are not recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Hanee,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay, the facilities and found the Tuk Tuk transfer service convenient to Silom and BTS.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the not to distant future.
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Somerset Park hotel is a quite nice hotel with spacious rooms and fully equipped kitchen. The staff is smiling all the time, opening doors when available and saying hello almost systematically. The breakfast choice is vast and quite tasty. In brief, this hotel is comfortable : it is not the cleanest, but it is not dirty either; it is simply aging significantly.

The numerous incidents that happened during my 7 weeks stay are however annoying :

1. The toilet paper was not refilled every time. It is not a big problem and I simply thought that it was an isolated event. I went downstairs to the lobby and mentioned about it. The receptionist immediately picked-up the phone and made a call to “I don’t know who” to say “I don’t know what”. Then she hung up and didn’t even look at me or say a word. I assumed that she called the maintenance to order to bring toilet paper to my room. It never came. After several days, I just went to the convenient store and bought a roll because I was tired to having to take a shower every time I go for a big one. Later, I finished by buying a full pack because it was happening frequently.

2. The hotel is not so close to the BTS station. It is not a problem since the hotel rates are reasonable. There is a free tuk-tuk every 30 minutes that runs from the hotel to the station. Very often the tuk-tuk was not even running; I heard later that there was no driver.

3. A staff knocked to my room with a notice to advise the price for the repair of the washing machine door. Although the door was not closing smoothly, probably because of the low quality, it was never broken, it was never repaired as far as I know, and I never called anybody to repair it. At least they admitted their mistake after investigation.

4. At the end of my stay, I was charged 800 THB for using high-speed internet during 1 week. Of course, I contested. After investigation, the front desk mentioned that I indeed used a different password than the free wi-fi for exactly 7 days and then that I used the regular password again after the 7 days. Somebody was lying somewhere. I could not afford to spend the rest of the morning arguing, so I just paid. If at least the internet was faster during those 7 days …

During my stay, I also discussed with other guests about their bad experiences :

5. The fridge in the room broke. The guest advised the front desk. Somebody came into the room, simply increased the thermostat and left. So he called the front desk again and the clerk mentioned impolitely that it takes time for it to cool down and simply hang up. Finally, the fridge was exchanged with one from a nearby room because it was still cold when delivered and not cleaned.

6. Water leaked from the air conditioning unit onto the desk during the night and permanently damaged the laptop of the guest. He advised the front desk in the morning and mentioned about his computer. During his absence, somebody came to fix the leak and clean up all around his computer. Period. No excuse, no compensation, no nothing. He was still charged for his room as normally but ended up throwing his laptop.

7. In a previous stay, the bill was supposed to be charged directly to the company of the guest, but was charged to his personal credit card given only as security deposit at the check-in. Mistake can happen and there is no problem. But the hotel took over 1 month and several telephone calls before crediting his card.

This hotel is not bad. It is far from being a high class hotel like the website is suggesting, but it does the job. It is comfortable, relatively clean and affordable. If you are ready to encounter some potential problems, go ahead and don’t hesitate. If your vacations and spirit could be ruined by such incidents mentioned above, please avoid it because the probabilities are rather high. In my case, I was glad to leave after 7 weeks.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kevin S
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear KevinS from Tokyo Japan,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your 7 week stay at Somerset Park Suanplu.
I wish to sincerely apologise for the shortcomings you highlight in the review.
Whilst you advise the property is 'good but terribly annoying', I can understand the frustration when some items break down during your stay.
I can also add that many times it appears to be English communication that many Thai staff seem to struggle with, as English is not their first language. Whilst I read they do try to fix all issues, it can be annoying at times.
However, should you ever return to Thailand, please escalate any issues to the Department Manager or General Manager who normally would step in to assist resolve any issues or problems encountered.
Once again, thanks for your review and we will use this feedback to discuss with staff concerned to improve in these areas.
Barton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have stayed here over a number of years now as I have regular business in Thailand and just keep coming back!!Forget staying in a big impersonal hotel, these apartments are a far better option.The location will suit anyone who does not want constant traffic noise and throngs of people as you step outside.All you can need is located nearby ,local market just five minutes walk sell everything fresh to fill your in room refrigerator,dozens of good street food stalls all the way along Soi Suanplu.Haircuts ,clothing,pharmacies etc all within a short stroll.
The staff here are almost all long timers and always make you feel welcome.The front desk ladies and gents are always cheerful and smiling as well as efficient.The apartments are properly cleaned on a daily basis by the housekeeping staff who are always polite and happy to please..Some apartments had started to look a little worn,mainly down to wear and tear by a few inconsiderate guests.However a big refurbishment project is under way so the apartments will all be revamped.All are well equipped for self catering should you wish to do so.Having a washing machine and dryer is great-- washing powder even supplied. Breakfast is a good deal just eat all you can!The gardens are well kept and a peaceful haven to sit and relax ,no Bangkok traffic fumes here. Overall ,a great place to stay with easy access to explore the rest of Bangkok .Want to go anywhere in particular ?Just ask the front desk or door men they will sort it for you. I am looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear silverfox,

Many thanks for your review and your continued support of Somerset Park Suanplu.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.