“Quality at excellent prices”

Somerset Park Suanplu
Ranked #123 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Italy
“Quality at excellent prices”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Whenever I visit Bangkok I stay in Somerset Suanplu. Perfect service, spacious clean rooms and professional staff. though some 10 mins walking from Skytrain, taxis pass in abundance. There is nothing to complain about and if so the staff will fix it immediately. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All quiet, no problem.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear VittorioItaly,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with Somerset Park Suanplu. I am pleased to read we continue to provide you with excellent service and facilities that meet your requirements when travelling.
We look forward to your next return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We have been staying at somerset whenever we are in Bangkok for holiday since 2005. Rooms are still as brilliant, clean with excellent view and they are better equipped as the years go by. However, service seems to get worse every year. This year particularly, was here in June and recently in December this year.

In June, my fiance and I completely forgotten about our return flight date and got a call from the reception to check out, we were the ones who made a mistake, so after checking our flight dates, I told the reception it was our mistake and we will pack up and check out but she told us we had another booking for end of the month, I was so shocked because I was pretty sure I didnt make another booking, so she made me go all the way down to take a look, turned out that it wasn't even my name.

Recently, the experience just got worse. After checking in and going to the room, I realised it was a non-smoking room when I asked for a smoking one. I had to again, travel down to settle it at the reception. Next morning, the maid kept pressing our doorbell and eventually opened the door, I was in my PJs and i told her to just give us water and new towels, she pushed the door so wide, another male guest was peeping into our room! I merely wanted water and towels, not her whole trolley!

Next morning, I got a call for check out, I was too mad because I get disturbed every morning. Apparently the receptionist made a mistake and called to the wrong room!

When we went down to wait for the free shuttle tuk tuk, we were told that there was no driver and so one of the staff tried to get taxi for us but ended up having a big argument w a taxi driver and almost got into a physical fight. This is a major establishment and not some little guesthouse, it isn't very nice to see a staff having a brawl with a cabby just at the porch of the hotel. However another bell boy saved the day, he told the cabby to just drive off quickly and got us another cab and the hotel paid for it to make up for not having a driver for the free shuttle.

We requested for late check out at the reception as we'd usually be given because our flight was at night, instead of telling us politely, she gave us an annoyed look and said, "latest we can give you is 1pm, after that we will charge". I was so mad and almost wanted to lodge a complaint there and then! We were usually given till 2pm but this time it was 1pm, I had no problems with that but at least, speak politely as I said again this is no small guesthouse, hostel or b&b!

I don't think I'd stay here ever again, this December was my last straw. Perhaps it was our very high expectations especially when their service was brilliant from 2005 to 2011. If I could ever get to make a booking at lakepoint instead, I guess I'd jolly well do that, service here has gone completely down the drain. Very disappointing.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank shutterdust
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear shutterdust ,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am truly sorry to hear about your unpleasant experiences on this occassion. While we constantly strive to maintain the highest standards of customer satisfaction, regrettably, on this occasion, appears we have fallen short of our key objectivs in a few areas of our operation. I therefore wish to extend to you my sincere apologies.

Whilst our guest service is normally one of our strengths, I would like to assure you that I will be addressing the issues raised with the staff concerned and will ensure that they receive the necessary guidance to perform a much better role moving forward to avoid a recurrence of such incidents.

I can assure you that we value your feedback and your feedback will be used to improve our service and communication.

Once again, please accept my apology.
Pacific Northwest
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Great quality to price ratio for downtown Bangkok. Secured my room via Booking.com for 2200 THB per night during the XMas holidays.

Pros
- newly furnished and spacious apartments
- great value
- lots of cheap local eats 2 mins walk away from the hotel (head left towards the 7/11)

Cons
- traffic around the hotel is quite bad during weekdays as it is in the financial and diplomatic district

- top notch

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mattiasdad
Dear Mattiasdad,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay.
I was especially pleased you found great value and top notch service from our staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Happy Holidays.
Mumbai, India
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My 8th visit to Bangkok and my 6th stay at the Somerset Park Suanplu Hotel. I keep meaning to stay elsewhere to try out the options that this city has to offer, but each time this place just keeps bringing me back. Firstly the apartments are so spacious. I highly recommend this for families with children since you get to stay in lovely 2 bedroom residences. The area is excellent with all embassies around, so very safe. The free tuktuk service every half an hour was excellent as travelling by taxis is a complete waste of time. 2 stations are quite close (0.5 km walk - Chitlom and Sala Daeng) although the walk from Chitlom is better as it is on the main road. The breakfast thrown in is a huge positive, the minimart in the compound continues to be a huge benefit to all guests - altho I must add that one must check the receipt, we found out that the minimart person was overcharging us (small amounts 30-40 thai baht) everytime which usually went unnoticed. The doorman JIT welcomed us and actually remembered our names. Even the reception staff could learn alot from his warm hospitality. If the Hotel manager reads this - I'd really request him to applaud JIT - its people like him that bring us travellers back to this hotel. The only negative was that its our 6th stay and not once have we been able to get a late check-out. All in all, a super stay once again.

Room Tip: The Premier rooms are really well done, modern and on higher floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear nekzaad,

Thank you for your feedback and continued support of Somerset Park Suanplu.
Your heartfelt words and special mention of Khun Somjit will be shared with him and the entire Team at Somerset Park Suanplu.
Your compliments inspire us to continually provide and improve the level of service that guests have come to expect.
Your feedback motivates us to do better to ensure that our residents have a warm and pleasant experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We had stayed here for 2 nights as a family of 8 in 2 apartments of 2 bedrooms each. The location of the hotel apartment is in a quiet diplomatic/financial zone which keeps it away from the hustle and bustle that is Bangkok. The apartment is large, well equipped and really clean. The pool and gym are great. Service too is fantastic! Would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Bangkok and looking out a good night's sleep.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mangy_boy
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear mangy_boy,
Thank you for your review of your Family stay last May.
I am pleased to read we met your overall stay expectations with good service and products
and am happy you have recommended us to future travellers.
We look forward to welcoming you back to somerset Park Suanplu.
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Have been staying here for ten years and always a pleasure to go back. It is a home from home, refurbished since being taken over by ascott group, it has well decorated rooms a great pool and gym Internet ina ll rooms, tennis court and massage/spa areas. Loads of parking and beautiful gardens. They make you feel quite special. Studios ato two bedrooms apartments.

Room Tip: Just enjoy and get to know the staff.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear RobertB,

Thank you for your feedback and continued support of Somerset Park Suanplu and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us once again.

From all Management and Staff we look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.
Bangkok
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The spacey rooms are a good value. You stay in the middle of the financial district. A free shuttle Tuk-Tuk brings you to BTS, markets and shops are all around. The apartments come with washing machine, kitchen with dish washer and separate bedroom. Breakfast is fine, pool and gym nice. Staff is friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: higher floors have nice views over the city
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear GaryMuc,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay and am pleased we met your expectations.

Most of our high floor rooms are occupied by our long stay residents, however we will do our utmost to fulfill a request subject to availability.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.