“I love the Royal”

Royal Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #716 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed February 2, 2013

When my boyfriend and I went to Bangkok for the first time in 1998, we stayed at this hotel. Every time we return, we have to stay here. Maybe it's more nostalgia for him and I, but I love this place. Oriental hotel, it is not. It's nice and clean, a good price, food is fine. You are only a few blocks from major things, I love it there. The air conditioning is great. All I need. The people pretty much sucks, but it is good for a dip after a long day walking around.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scarnella
There are newer reviews for Royal Hotel Bangkok

Reviewed February 2, 2013

This 'royal' hotel is not so royal. I was a backpacker when I stayed there so as you can guess, I wasn't looking for a lovely place to stay.
I can deal with old furniture and decor but the least I could have asked for was some friendly receptionists. Every single time I spoke to them they were rude and unhelpful.
Then there's the issue of the leaking toilet and basin. After going to the lobby and speaking to the reception staff 4 times their response was "fine, change rooms then" as we had a new room key thrown across the counter to us. The second room we went had water leaking under the tiles and I am no snob, I can deal with some water on the floor but we were swimming!
Best tip...stay somewhere else. Close by because the location was A+++ but that was about as good as it got.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The positive thing about this hotel is that it is close to different must's for tourist.
It is an old builing and it must have been 30 years since they last did something else than cleaning. Yes, it's clean, but very old. The swimming pool fourniture is broke, the room is big but dark and basic. There is almost no light, neither in the bathroom nor in the room, how can one make up ? An old used matrass, a dirty window over one of the most busiest taffic roundabouts in Bangkok. It's extremely noisy. The homeless are installed around this hotel. The room where the breakfast buffet is installed remembers that this hotel must have been royal 40 years ago.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Have stayed here for years on our trips - it is old and tired and a bit musty but there is something about it that I love. A busy 24 hour hotel - taxi service and a good buffet breakfast. Excelelnt roadside restaurant Sky High - just round the corner.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

It probably used to be royal 20 years ago - now more or less falling apart. It's a shame because the location is really fantastic. The dining room is really ugly, although the food is good. The rooms are old, just like the furniture inside. The bathroom in our room on the first floor was large, so at least there was something to enjoy...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This my sound like a fussy review but after staying in some lovely (still cheap) hotels in Bangkok this is my honest opinion.

My massive bug-bare about this hotel was the staff! The reception staff weren't the most friendly and after 20 hours travel time you really want a warm friendly face!! The room was very out dated and not the cleanest I must say!

The most upsetting moment of our two night stay was on the second night when the hotel night club was open. We rang reception about 12 to ask when the music would stop and the receptionist hung up on us TWICE!!!!! The music was sooo loud that it was vibrating out room and windows! So much so that our alarm clock actually fell off the bedside table!!!!

I would say this hotel is bearable but don't stay more than one or two nights and personally I think Bangkok has a lot better on offer than this!! It was close to Khao San Road and China town but proximity isn't really an issue in Bangkok because the transport is outstanding!!!! I think the area was actually a little dirty and this was the only place in Bangkok that we sure rats on the streets.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sagey76
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I share the views of others that the location is good, but the hotel and rooms are not worth the price and are in dire need of a re-vamp and some maintenance work. My room and bathroom were large, but the decor is old, faded and tired. The curtains were falling down and did not fit to the end of the window - hence light cascading in to the room early in the morning. Breakfast was white bread toast and the usual noodles, rice and unidentifiable meat dishes. I expected a bit better for the price and the grand title.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangkok
Taris Art Hotel Phrae
Hotel Royal Bangkok at Chinatown
Buddy Lodge Hotel
Buddy Lodge Hotel
#176 of 879 in Bangkok

Been to Royal Hotel Bangkok? Share your experiences!