“Very near to Holy Redeemer's Church”
Review of Jim's Lodge

Jim's Lodge
Ranked #697 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Very near to Holy Redeemer's Church”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

The only purpose actually of staying in Jim's lodge is the church, nothing else. Staff are polite, with basic English but the rooms are quite old and need renovation. Very near to shopping malls but you need to take the train to avoid traffic. Yes that, correct near convenient sore is the 7-eleven just opposite Holy Redeemer's.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cristy-longbeach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Finnish first
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Reminds me of typical provincial hotels in the Philippines, smells quite old. Clean room, though. Not for those with heavy luggages since you have to go up/down a short flight of stairs after riding the elevator. Not really walking distance from the BTS. Staff are very friendly, accommodating, & helpful. Free Wi-Fi :)

• Stayed July 2013
Somewhere
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Recently I booked this hotel for my wife, she had business at the US Embassy. The hotel is in walking distance to Embassy so I thought it was a good location. Made reservation and received confirmation email. A few mins later received a phone call asking if I was a US citizen and if I live in Thailand. Told the woman on the other end that yes I was a US citizen but that I was in the US and my wife was a Thai citizen and that I booked the hotel for her. The woman asked me for my wife's phone number and I gave it to her. I thought they wanted to confirm the reservation with her. I found out from my wife the next day that the woman told her that the hotel does not allow Thai citizens to stay there or take reservations from Thai citizens and that they were canceling her reservation. I travel a bit and I will tell all my traveling friend to stay away from this hotel and I will ask them to tell their friends to stay away from this dump. It is up to you if you want to stay here and support such behavior.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Joe A
London
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed in this hotel back in 2003 when I was single. No good if you want a family hotel because walls seem thin and you can hear whats going on next door... Quite a few desperate westerners seem to use this hotel for adult fun so if you have children its a no no.
Room OK if you want something cheap but smells of cigarette smoke in most of the rooms.

Staff seem friendly and food OK.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank pisces1966
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 1, 2013

A convenient location in the city. Very close to the center of the city as well as some key parks throughout the city. Also (US Citizens) the Embassy is up the street. In the other direction is a 7-11 right on the corner of the street to stock up on any snacks or drinks. Overall the rooms and accomdation are average. A place to lay your head at night while being able to explore an awesome city. One of the perks of the stay was the nice breakfast that the hotel served. A lot of fresh fruit and fried rice. Overall a very nice experience for a good price. Please note my stay was in Jan of 2008. So I'm sure some things have changed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I really wanted to like this place. The staff were so nice and helpful and friendly, and I stayed there for more than a week so it had a nice air of familiarity. But my (twin) room had a musty smell of mold that wouldn't go away despite constant airing. I got used to it after a few days, but I'm sure it didn't do my health any favors. Slightly inconvenient if you have heavy luggage. There's a small flight of stairs between each lift level and each floor. Toilet was small, hot water a try-your-luck kinda thing (it doesn't really matter in Bangkok though cos the water's always kinda warm). The walk in from the BTS is also like maybe 3mins longer than comfortable. Although hopping on a motosai for 20baht between Phloen Chit BTS and the hotel is easy enough. If it weren't for the musty smell, I probably would have been a lot more charmed by the whole old world charm of the place.

Room Tip: Maybe the twin-bedded rooms are less-used, so maybe the double rooms smell better. I'm sure they...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Milolicious
Manila
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel itself is pretty nice, we just booked a standard room since we aren't staying in Bangkok for a day. We had appointment to US Embassy and my fiance and I would like to stay in a place where its only a walk away. Jim's lodge is about 10 mins walk to the Embassy, there's a lot of fastfood near the area as well. The room is okay, clean and pretty much okay for a standard room, Price is okay for a standard room. They have helpful staff, can speak good english, Security is good too. Bed is not that comfortable though, my fiance and I had a hard time sleeping, pillows aren't that comfy as well. Bathroom is fine, clean but no hot shower or maybe they have but unfortunately ours isn't working.

The place is okay for a short stay.

Room Tip: just get a suite room if you are staying for long, but if you just want somewhere to sleep overnight...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple