“Our standard place to stay when in Bangkok”
Review of Silom City Hotel

Silom City Hotel
Ranked #110 of 881 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Have known about Silom City Inn for almost 15 years. Stayed there once many years back and it was fine. My wife and I had been staying at a hotel nearby whenever we traveled for business to Bangkok. We finally got tired of the poor service and room conditions and outside noise for the other hotel and decided to try Silom City Inn again. If you are looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel, this is not for you. If you are looking for a clean quiet room, nice staff and a very good price, I cannot recommend a better place in downtown Bangkok. The upper rooms with a balcony are nice to sit outside and look out over Bangkok at night.

Also the doorman who goes by the nickname "Silom" is a fantastic guy. It is hard to believe someone can enjoy their job as much as he appears to.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank JUMandPAUL
There are newer reviews for Silom City Hotel

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I did not expect much from the hotel upon reading the comments here on TripAdvisor. As long as my minimum requirements of a clean bathroom, internet connectivity, and accessibility to a main street are met, then there should not be a problem.

Honestly, I felt kind of off upon arriving the hotel and discovering that there is a wet market almost across it. However, the establishment actually gave a more "local" feel to our vacation so it's totally fine. Contrary to what I expected, too, that this hotel is difficult to find, it isn't. We just told our cab driver that it's situated in Soi 22 in Silom and that did the trick. Again, it is not very far from Silom Road.

Let me point out the pros and cons -

Cons:
1. The wet market nearby (it's not very smelly yet of you don't like such thing near your home, this is not the place for you)
2. The rooms are kind of old and it shows with the furnishings. Maybe a little upgrade soon can help.
3. We stayed on the 5th floor and there isn't really much a view to see.
4. Not a lot of channels on the cable tv. But then again you weren't there for vacation just to watch the TV!
5. If you don't like walking that much, the nearest BTS station/s are about a 10-min walk away. Not very far but not too near either.

Pros:
1. Booking was a breeze. My sister and I were supposed to go to Chiang Mai but since flight from my home country has been cancelled, we decided to stay in Bangkok instead. We did not have a hard time adjusting the booking.
2. Most of the staff are very helpful and friendly, especially Jai and the bellboys.
3. Wifi connectivity is not an issue. There's a login provided but the connection is fast and consistent.
4. Breakfast have very limited options but enough to satisfy energise us for the activities for the day ahead.
5. It's in the quieter side of the Silom road so you won't get disrupted in your sleep while at the same time, almost everything you need is just within reach.
6. Aircon is working perfectly fine.

The rooms aren't that pricey as well. I see smaller and simpler bed-and-breafast places which pale in comparison to Silom City Hotel yet charge an almost similar price. I think this is a good deal.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank karixie
Reviewed September 1, 2013

On arrival at the hotel, I must admit I was a bit put off at the location. The narrow road and a wet market so close by. However all this just vanish into thin air as soon as you are in the hotel lobby. The lobby was modestly sized but the extreme friendly staffs that greets you immediately assured me that I will come to enjoy my stay here.
Checking in was handed charmingly and the receptions personnel spoke reasonably good english.
The room that i had was like any other hotel guestroom that ones will encounter with the price you are paying. Still I must add that it was well equipped. They even provide a safe box for your convenince in the room itself.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful beyond my expectation. When I was here, I need to travel to quite a few places in Bangkok that i must to go. The hotel staff will go out of the way to get me a taxi on each occasion and make sure the taxi driver comprehen exactly where i want t go before allowing me into the taxi. A real big pat on the back for them.
The breakfast was reasonably good with different offerings each day.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Wong W
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed 5 days ago and are very satisfied with all! the attention is kind and profesional. They helped us with a problem about our luggage and they offered us a lot of answers to organize the rest of the travel. Really, good service, good rooms and good price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank crisxqsi
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the Silom hotel in Bangkok, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised as firstly it was not too expensive, both the service and quality of service were 1st class. the rooms were well maintained, clean sheets and serviced every day. On the ground floor the restaurant had a very competitive and extensive menu. If you feel like a relaxing massage to relax you from you flight, the hotel has thai massage service also at a competitive price.

I really can not fault this property. When checking in/out the bell boys were extremely helpful, they can organize a taxi back to the airport for 400 baht. great value, it cost me 1400 baht from the airport to the hotel.

i have traveled to Bangkok on many occasions, Silom City Hotel is by far the best value for money.

Jean

Room Tip: The hotel is located on a quite street with several street stalls near by there is even a market...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank jean v
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. On the one hand, it's an old-fashioned full service hotel with many helpful staff, quite the fancy feel about it. On the other, it's seen better days and had quite a few flaws.

The room would have been wonderful when new, but the carpets are worn and stained, the TV old, and there's a bizarre lack of power outlets. The wi-fi was the worst of the 4 hotels in Thailand we experienced, with an irritating redirect log-in system rather than just letting us log into the wireless router like normal. It was constantly requiring us to log in again, and was often slow to the point of being unusable.

The head receptionist seemed a trifle condescending, though all the other staff were great.

The location is great, lots of attractions within walking distance, real thai restaurants frequented by locals just a street across in the fresh food market, delicious grilled frogs from the street vendor right outside the hotel, and many fancier places in the area.

Overall I can't say we were truly disappointed by the hotel, which does seem luxurious for the price, but I would be remiss not to mention that it was the least pleasant room we had in our 2 week Thailand trip.

Room Tip: Our standard room had some shortcomings.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phasechange
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This hotel is fine, but a little old and not worth the price. I think you can find a nicer hotel with better customer service for the price. It's on a bustling side street with a huge butcher market (lots of dead hanging animals). It's a great location to get a feel for local Bangkok, but not if you want a fancy tourist location. A positive was the shower- hot and with excellent water pressure.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple