Atlanta Hotel
Travelocity
$440
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsrooms are basicbudget hotelswimming poololdest hotelquirky hotelno liftfourth floorhot waterrestaurant stafflaundry servicebusy citythai foodfoyeranonghammocksthailandpets
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 26, 2010

+ good price
+ friendly staff
+ location
+ prices in restaurant are friendly, good food quality and quantity :)
+ swiming pool open 24/7
+ library in restaurant in book exchange manner

unfortunately:
- some rooms should be repaired (you can find charisma in public places, but in private space (rooms are poor)
- one day we didn't find cold water, other day - no hot water in the bath. no pressure of water.
- no TV or fridge

recomended for people who choose Bangkok as trasition point (just to have bed).

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank whycher
Reviewed May 15, 2010

There is nothing that hasn't been written about the Atlanta so I will try to make it short: the Atlanta has it's own special charme, the lobby, the restaurant, everything is really special. but the whole building is literally falling apart, you can feel the house is wobbling when an heavy truck is passing by on the motorway next to the Hotel.

Have stayed there before but this time I think they overstepped the mark. We stayed there in February for one week, then went to an island to go back there again for one night. Everything was booked and confirmed by 1, the reception lady, 2. the reception guy and finally 3. Roger, the manager. When we arrived there again, they could not find the reservation, but they had one room left, that we could have. So the front desk lady went to show us the room, which had a broken AC and a non working shower. Finally she offered us a bucket with water instead of the shower, no joke!

So we went to find another hotel, ended up just across the street in Solo Hotel, which was awesome!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank igorkalayev
Reviewed May 3, 2010

as a result of the Icelandic volcano we were forced to find cheap accommodation to prevent my children sleeping on the airport floor, We picked the Atlanta from a guide book as their prices were ideal and one thing I can say in their favour is that they were able to provide adjoining rooms at very short notice!! After that I can't think of anything good to say.
I applaud their stand against sex tourism but since I was traveling with my husband and young children it should have been very apparent that I was not there for that purpose, However I feel that I was treated with utter disdain by the receptionist and pretty much every other staff member I encountered, infact the whole atmosphere was frosty, guests included!! I don't expect luxury at those prices but I don't expect to feel unsafe and disliked. There are signs everywhere including on the menus and drinks mats stating the fact that the hotel are NOT interested in your opinions, My particular favorite was the large one outside my bedroom that said "Complaints will NOT be tolerated!!"
We stayed the one night as circumstances made it necessary but we were dressed and ready to check out by 6am the next morning (nothing could have kept me there a second longer)
I made a polite request for a taxi at reception which was laughed at, so we chose to wait outside and hail one ourselves. Bizarrely 2 taxi's arrived but were sent away by the hotel staff ?! eventually my family and I walked our cases all the way to Sukumvit road and booked into the Bel Aire Princess!....which was heaven!!!!
In hind sight this hotel provided us with many amusing anecdotes and we will be talking about our night at the Atlanta for many years to come but nothing in this life or the next one would make me subject my family to that place again!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
21  Thank Viper8
Reviewed April 21, 2010

I stayed for three nights and then returned two weeks llater for another night. The suite was spacious and the linen spotlessly clean. I had a most comfortable stay with A/C and plenty of hot water. The swimming pool is large and a little run down but the water quality is excellent.

The beer in the restaurant was the cheapest I could find in Bangkok and the meals exceptional value - all beautifully cooked and presented.

All the staff I met couldn't have been more helpful (the red shirt demonstrations were on at the time) and gave me free maps and lots of advice. They were unfailingly polite and extremely efficient - and they smiled when you were polite and respectful to them.

I'll certainly return - I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in the city!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2010

My wife and I usually stay in 4 or 5 star hotels, yet we have stayed at the Atlanta four times in as many years. Why? Sure the price is right; in fact, it can’t be beat. But the rooms at the Atlanta are dark, spartan, and lack a view. The pool’s tiles are chipped, just waiting to stub a toe. Humorless Anong runs the restaurant like a stern matron and reserves the right to refuse admission. Signs are posted everywhere saying you are not allowed to complain. The sign near the pool threatens that if you made too much noise at night, you will not be served breakfast in the morning. “Miscreants” are tossed out, or even worse, referred to the police. The traffic noise from the nearby expressway can at times be deafening. The hike up/down Soi 2 to the Sky Train can be overwhelming in the heat of Bangkok.

Yet we always come back, and in fact, eagerly look forward to our return. Why, because it is one of the few hotels in the world that truly has attained category X, as defined in Paul Fussell’s excellent book from 1983, Class: A Guide Through the American Status System. The Atlanta Hotel defines bohemian.

The Atlanta was once a place to see and be seen. My wife lived at the Atlanta for several months as a child during the 1960’s, a time when U.S. military officers planning the Vietnam operations rubbed elbows with the widowed Queen of Thailand’s King Rama VII in the Atlanta’s then chic Continental restaurant. So, of course, her fond memories drove us many years later back to the Atlanta. The hotel didn’t keep up with things when the luxury hotels moved in, but it is still a favorite for and welcomes writers, academics, artists, eccentrics, and their families. Although everything outside the hotel has changed, nothing inside has. The foyer has the same art Deco furniture, complete with lounging cats. The gardens are thick and green with the same 1960’s fountain splashing water into their pool, which was in its time, the first pool on a hotel grounds in Bangkok. Still today the guests and other habitués at the hotel are fascinating. The food at the restaurant is excellent, and once one is in Anong’s good graces, eating there is like eating at one’s own home, except it is superb Thai food at incredibly low prices. The rooms on the first two floors, although indeed simple, are actually quite decent, the beds are comfortably hard, and the floor and walls are immaculately clean and spotless. And the a/c drowns out the expressway noise! Just travel with and bring your own feather pillow, as that is not part of the deal.

Those who are not welcome are sex tourists. And they are totally warned off. It begins at the entrance with a large sign reading: ‘SEX TOURISTS NOT WELCOME’ and never lets up. The restaurant serves drinks on coasters that proclaim the Atlanta as Bangkok’s bastion of wholesome tourism and warns that there is ‘zero tolerance for junkies, louts and other degenerates. Roger, the ever vigilant and (very) British hotel manager, would love nothing more than to toss out such types. And in fact the hotel does carry through on its threats, which other posts herein seem to have complained about. Think Fawlty Towers!

The flotsam bottom rung of humanity that floats through Bangkok is mind boggling, so many hotels have similar rules, although perhaps more discreetly written. But the hotels don’t really enforce the rules. For example, we had brunch one day in a 5* hotel, that had a posted dress code, which we scrupulously followed. Yet, the staff did nothing as an Arab sheik came in with a Russian hooker dressed in tight, ultra skimpy, hot pants. Anong would have tossed them both in a second, no matter how much money they were flashing. So yes, we highly recommend the Atlanta. But, as the negative reviews herein attest, it is not for everybody. And remember, if you decide to go, be warned that you are not to complain. “At the prices [they] charge, complaints are not allowed.”

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple