Atlanta Hotel
$124
$93
$65
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsrooms are basicbudget hotelswimming poololdest hotelquirky hotelno liftfourth floorhot waterrestaurant stafflaundry servicebusy citythai foodfoyeranonghammocksthailandpets
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 5, 2012

A difficult hotel to rate - it's not really what you'd call average, but neither is it very good. The main selling point is that it hasn't been renovated since the 1950s, so it's like stepping back in time. This has its good and bad points. The public areas are a treat, but our room was like a concrete bunker, with little ornamentation, and the beds have no blankets. They're not really necessary in Bangkok's climate, but it felt a little Spartan. The pool is great - not too many budget hotels in Bangkok have anything like this, and it didn't matter too much that some of the tiles were chipped and there was algae growing on the bottom - the water was clear and reasonably clean, apart from a few leaves from the wilderness-like garden.

The restaurant was again a blast from the past, and had an extensive menu with many vegetarian options, which our travelling companions appreciated, but several of the meals we had were distinctly ordinary - well below the standard we found almost everywhere in this foodie paradise of a country. Other negatives were the 600-metre walk to the train station (there are taxis along the street, but they laughed when I asked them if they were metered), and the obsession with sex tourists. Everywhere you go in the Atlanta - and even on the menu and hotel stationery - are signs saying "Sex Tourists Not Welcome". True, there are some dodgy places not far away, but we didn't see any obvious sign of them, and this seemed like overkill. On our return to Bangkok we stayed in another place not far away, which was perfectly respectable without all the signage. We got the feeling that the place is coasting on its former glory, established under its founder, Dr Max Henn, who died 10 years ago at the age of 94. As budget hotels in Bangkok go, it's something out of the ordinary, but could be better.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Number8Dave
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have stayed at the Atlanta 6 or 7 times and will happily be back. I love the restaurant as much for its atmosphere as for the food, and the manager there, Anong, is like a stern, kind Aunt. She remembers me and comments on what I'm up to when in the hotel (not in a stalky way!)

The other staff are generally lovely and if you have any awkward moment at all, it's probably down to that person being new.

The rooms are basic, but I spend all my waking hours either out or by the excellent pool/garden. The lobby is fantastic and people do gather there sometimes, though less since smoking was banned indoors. A certain strata of the clientele can be snooty in an academic way. Who really cares about that?

The location is good for SkyTrain and airport taxis. I like to walk to the Siam area sometimes for a browse. The Ploen Chit supermarket, downstairs from the McDonalds, etc, on the corner is very very good for picking up a few treats like wine, snacks, nice soap or whatever, and some souvenirs too. There is an ATM there that takes overseas cards.

The street restaurant on Soi 2 is great and I can say I've never had an upset stomach from the food there. I recommend a peice of fried chicken and a som tam salad, taken back to the pool to savour slowly.

When I leave the Atlanta I've always have staff members come outside and wave goodbye. It seems to be a place that rewards respect and humility.

I can't wait to take my wife there. I know she will appreciate the literary atmosphere.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 2, 2012

travelling with a family of 6 we chose this hotel BECAUSE of their stand on NO SEX TOURISTS. It was a quiet, ambient sanctuary in a busy city and we LOVED our stay there.
You pay a budget price but have the glamour, and ambience of the original decor. The rooms are in the process of renovation. The restaurant had a huge selection, and wonderful waiting staff, but small helpings for our large Kiwi appetites, so if you have a large appetitie...order more servings. Easy walk to skytrain, and shopping, and local food vendors for snacks.Because there were so many of us we just used a taxi from here to Chinatown etc.
Lots of useful info available here...wifi downstairs and a pool for the children.
Will definitely stay here again on our next visit to Bangkok. Why stay somewhere with a stark hotel interior when you can have this kind of character!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Dear fellow traveller,
The Atlanta Hotel off the Sukhumvit Road in Central Bangkok is an institution, loved by its many many repeat guests. "Party Central" it is not, but a retreat from the hurly burly Bangkok streets, maybe better appreciated by the more discerning, mature traveller. Guests either "Get" The Atlanta or they dont ! It is NOT luxurious and the rooms are very spartan with NO frills, NO WiFi in the rooms (there is FREE WiFi in the lobby, garden and restaurant), NO TV's, NO fridges and often not a lot of hot water ! BUT the history of the place is a delight, the staff are great characters and very helpful, the garden and slightly tatty swimmimg pool are a joy and the food from the restaurant is AMAZING and inexpensive (as are the rooms inexpensive). Another great joy is that seedy "Sex Tourists" are not allowed at The Atlanta Hotel and the bringing into the establishment of sex workers is strictly forbidden. The management of The Atlanta Hotel is ably assisted by a wonderful Brit, Mr Roger LePhoque, a former food & wine writer and an old University friend of the hotels owner. Roger goes out of his way to assist guests with their myriad questions, queries and problems. I consider myself very fortunate to stay at The Atlanta in an inexpensive second floor, C class A/C double room, every January/February and I very much consider The Atlanta Hotel to be "Home from Home".
Haste me back,
Andrew Bruce
Dumfriesshire
Scotland

Room Tip: Book early as very popular and often running at 100% capacity. NO Email booking so you must either telephone, write or Fax.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank andrewbruce
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We LOVED this hotel! It looks as though nothing has changed here since it opened in the 50s, but we loved the antique decor. The staff are friendly and helpful - they carried our bags, offered us a welcome drink, and gave us plenty of useful transport and sightseeing advice. We ate in the restaurant on our first night here and the food was excellent and very reasonably priced. There are very strict rules at the hotel, with signs up everywhere saying that sex tourism is banned, but as we weren't sex tourists, we were more than happy with this policy. The pool also has a large outdoor swimming pool to relax in, which although, like the rest of the hotel, was a little dated, was lovely and clean and great for relaxing in after a hard day's sightseeing. The hotel is pretty centrally located, and the rooms are basic, but large, comfortable and clean. The room rates at the Atlanta are very reasonable indeed - this unique, quirky place is excellent value for money, and also offers discount to NGO workers. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends