“La Residence - a pleasant surprise”

La Residence Bangkok
Ranked #377 of 881 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Because I was travelling with 3 children below 12 years, I needed to find a nice and convenient place to stay during our last trip to Bangkok. I found La Residence with the help of TripAdvisor and was not disappointed at all. We loved our family suite - it was spacious, clean with a nice warm feel. My kids loved the fact that they had a DVD player in the room with a vast selection of DVDs to choose from downstairs. Good job on the place, I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for La Residence Bangkok

Reviewed December 6, 2008

Our first stay at Le Residence was in November, 2008. We arrived very early in the morning and very tried from India; the staff at Le Residence were friendly, helpful and gracious. They even got us into our room early. The room was comfortable and VERY quiet.

This small hotel is located near the Skytrain, and pretty close to the train station as well. They also have a great selection of videos that you can watch in your room at no extra cost.

Since we had planned to stay in Le Residence a second time after traveling around Thailand and Cambodia, we left a bag there. But due to the political protests and closure of the airport, we were unable to return to Bangkok. The manager at La Residence was kind enough to ship the bag and its contents to us (on the Andeman Coast). We highly recommend La Residence; all in all is is a great place to stay in Bangkok. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed December 3, 2008

La Residence is a great little boutique hotel in a very convenient location. We were lucky to get Suite 7 on the top floor, which has an enormous leafy balcony.

The Skytrain is about ten minutes walk away, and Patpong about the same. You can switch from the Skytrain to the Metro at a couple of stops, and they are both a great way to get around most places.

To get to the main temples, it's best to get the Skytrain to the river terminus, where it's two minute walk to the ferry. Don't bother getting a tourist pass, just jump on any Express heading in the right direction and pay on board (much cheaper).

Just around the corner from the hotel we found our favorite restaurant in Bangkok "Take a Seat". Pleasant leafy garden and cheap excellent food. La Residence staff will direct you, it's half way to the Skytrain.

We checked out a few other rooms at the hotel, and the single rooms are very small. However the location and the friendly staff make up for this. There is free a DVD library and book swap.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2008

I spent a couple nights here and had a good experience. It is close enough to the river and BTS skytrain, and lucky for me, close to the Jim Thompson silk outlet. No complaints. The room was small but quiet and clean. The staff accommodated, suggesting restaurants and giving me a wake up call. As a single female traveler, my three requirements are clean safe and cheap or at least reasonably priced. This one met all three.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Fabulous hotel. We had a great suite, very large and clean. Staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Breakfast came with the room and it was great.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed May 8, 2008

In the first five months of 2008, I happened to spend a considerable amount of time in South-East Asia (Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia), and used La Residence, an extremely pleasant boutique hotel in the Silom district of Bangkok, as a base to return to on several occasions. The highly attentive and considerate staff even joked that I'd stayed in almost each of the 26 rooms, and on the various visits I stayed in singles, twins and on the last occasion even in one of the suite.

Starting on the rooms, let me agree with a few of the previous reviewers that the singles are indeed a tad on the small side, but still comfortable, spotlessly clean, and tastefully designed. The double rooms are a lot more spacious and yet again, the owners have done their best (and succeeded in my view) in making the rooms feel unique and special. However, for some real luxury though, and the “home-away-from-home”-feel, try one of the suites: they're enormous, with a bedroom and a separate enormous sitting area, complete with CD- and DVD-player and a kitchenette. The bathroom was spick and span and looked as if the tiles had just been put in two weeks earlier, such a fresh feel. Throughout all the rooms of the hotel there's WIFI-capabilty at an extra charge of 150 baht a day. For those without a laptop, there's two computers next to the lobby for any internet-junkies (again at 150 baht a day), a wide collection of DVD's and a sizable library of books in the lobby.

Location is wonderful, about a 7 minute walk away from Patpong night market, and I'd say about the same distance to the Skytrain or metro (which I consider to be close by, in contrast to one of the earlier reviewers). Ten minutes walk gets you to one of the oases of green in the concrete jungle of Bangkok: Lumphini Park. There's a wide span of different restaurants, cafes, shopping centres and ATM's in the direct vicinity, but you're far enough to keep you away from the hustle, bustle (and noise) of the busier parts of the district. An almost constant flow of taxi's passes by the hotel and about 90% of them don't need any extra push to put on the meter. Give the tuktuk's a miss, I haven't met one who I didn't consider a scam or cheat, and why give up the comfort of airconditioned cab? A maximum of 80 baht should get you a taxi to just about anywhere in central Bangkok. And for returning to the hotel, just mention Somboon Seafood on Thanon Surawong, as the closest landmark to the hotel

Staff, as mentioned earlier, was highly attentive, courteous, knowledgeable about the surrounding (giving tips on places to eat in the neighbourhood). I really can't compliment them enough. From the very first time I stepped into the hotel and was greeted with a “sawat-dee-ka!”, I knew I'd made a good choice. Very quick to respond to queries by email, and highly considerate of your every need.

Breakfast, included in the price, is served in the hotel restaurant, and contrary to some of the earlier reviewers I have absolutely no complaints: tea or coffee, fresh juice, a selection of fruits (pomello, lychee, grapefruit, pears, I've seen all sorts), toast, eggs in any shape or form you would like and bacon). I always left the breakfast table nicely satiated and satisfied, ready for another day.

So in summary, I can only say that next time I come to Bangkok, I will definitely be staying at La Residence and look forward to seeing the staff here again. I'd have no hesitation at all in recommending this place to anybody seeking a nice place with a more intimate atmosphere than any of the “big-chain” hotels.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed April 20, 2008

Stayed in this small hotel over the week end. Location is great. The rooms were simple, clean, and generally ok.
I had booked my room through internet, directly with them, and eventhough they were very nice by email, it was not so once we got there.
The stay was ok, convenient, eventhough no so welcoming, and I was rather enoyed when it got to the check out time, and that my bill was twice what was agreed on. They tried to make me pay for transfers which I had not requiered nor used, and they tried to charge me an extra night in a rather cheeky way ( by withholding my deposit, and charging the room as If I had not given one!).
Just thought I should post this up!
Enjoy bangkok, Its a great city!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple