In the first five months of 2008, I happened to spend a considerable amount of time in South-East Asia (Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia), and used La Residence, an extremely pleasant boutique hotel in the Silom district of Bangkok, as a base to return to on several occasions. The highly attentive and considerate staff even joked that I'd stayed in almost each of the 26 rooms, and on the various visits I stayed in singles, twins and on the last occasion even in one of the suite.
Starting on the rooms, let me agree with a few of the previous reviewers that the singles are indeed a tad on the small side, but still comfortable, spotlessly clean, and tastefully designed. The double rooms are a lot more spacious and yet again, the owners have done their best (and succeeded in my view) in making the rooms feel unique and special. However, for some real luxury though, and the “home-away-from-home”-feel, try one of the suites: they're enormous, with a bedroom and a separate enormous sitting area, complete with CD- and DVD-player and a kitchenette. The bathroom was spick and span and looked as if the tiles had just been put in two weeks earlier, such a fresh feel. Throughout all the rooms of the hotel there's WIFI-capabilty at an extra charge of 150 baht a day. For those without a laptop, there's two computers next to the lobby for any internet-junkies (again at 150 baht a day), a wide collection of DVD's and a sizable library of books in the lobby.
Location is wonderful, about a 7 minute walk away from Patpong night market, and I'd say about the same distance to the Skytrain or metro (which I consider to be close by, in contrast to one of the earlier reviewers). Ten minutes walk gets you to one of the oases of green in the concrete jungle of Bangkok: Lumphini Park. There's a wide span of different restaurants, cafes, shopping centres and ATM's in the direct vicinity, but you're far enough to keep you away from the hustle, bustle (and noise) of the busier parts of the district. An almost constant flow of taxi's passes by the hotel and about 90% of them don't need any extra push to put on the meter. Give the tuktuk's a miss, I haven't met one who I didn't consider a scam or cheat, and why give up the comfort of airconditioned cab? A maximum of 80 baht should get you a taxi to just about anywhere in central Bangkok. And for returning to the hotel, just mention Somboon Seafood on Thanon Surawong, as the closest landmark to the hotel
Staff, as mentioned earlier, was highly attentive, courteous, knowledgeable about the surrounding (giving tips on places to eat in the neighbourhood). I really can't compliment them enough. From the very first time I stepped into the hotel and was greeted with a “sawat-dee-ka!”, I knew I'd made a good choice. Very quick to respond to queries by email, and highly considerate of your every need.
Breakfast, included in the price, is served in the hotel restaurant, and contrary to some of the earlier reviewers I have absolutely no complaints: tea or coffee, fresh juice, a selection of fruits (pomello, lychee, grapefruit, pears, I've seen all sorts), toast, eggs in any shape or form you would like and bacon). I always left the breakfast table nicely satiated and satisfied, ready for another day.
So in summary, I can only say that next time I come to Bangkok, I will definitely be staying at La Residence and look forward to seeing the staff here again. I'd have no hesitation at all in recommending this place to anybody seeking a nice place with a more intimate atmosphere than any of the “big-chain” hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Résidence is an intimate, yet hip boutique hotel in the heart of Bangkok. Located on Suriwongse Road next to Silom Road, it enjoys easy access to all the major shopping areas and is only minutes away from the Chao Phya River which is the best shortcut to all the famous temples via river taxis. Patpong Road, the notorious entertainment area which converts into a shopping bazaar from 1700 until 0200 is only a few blocks away. Major shopping centers as well as souvenir shops at the Silom Village are also within walking distance.Well known for its beautifully decorated rooms and delicious, authentic Thai food, La Résidence is a rare find in a city full of cliched decor and banal rooms.Each of our twenty six luxurious rooms and suites are equipped with all the amenities and charmingly furnished with lots of little personal touches and each with it's own unique theme.Best of all, rates are very reasonable coupled with impeccable service. Most of the guests are regulars who could afford 5-star hotels, but wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your La Residence Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Residence Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- La Residence Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok La Residence Hotel