“A home away from home”

Ranked #392 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Bangkok
“A home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2008

In the first five months of 2008, I happened to spend a considerable amount of time in South-East Asia (Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia), and used La Residence, an extremely pleasant boutique hotel in the Silom district of Bangkok, as a base to return to on several occasions. The highly attentive and considerate staff even joked that I'd stayed in almost each of the 26 rooms, and on the various visits I stayed in singles, twins and on the last occasion even in one of the suite.

Starting on the rooms, let me agree with a few of the previous reviewers that the singles are indeed a tad on the small side, but still comfortable, spotlessly clean, and tastefully designed. The double rooms are a lot more spacious and yet again, the owners have done their best (and succeeded in my view) in making the rooms feel unique and special. However, for some real luxury though, and the “home-away-from-home”-feel, try one of the suites: they're enormous, with a bedroom and a separate enormous sitting area, complete with CD- and DVD-player and a kitchenette. The bathroom was spick and span and looked as if the tiles had just been put in two weeks earlier, such a fresh feel. Throughout all the rooms of the hotel there's WIFI-capabilty at an extra charge of 150 baht a day. For those without a laptop, there's two computers next to the lobby for any internet-junkies (again at 150 baht a day), a wide collection of DVD's and a sizable library of books in the lobby.

Location is wonderful, about a 7 minute walk away from Patpong night market, and I'd say about the same distance to the Skytrain or metro (which I consider to be close by, in contrast to one of the earlier reviewers). Ten minutes walk gets you to one of the oases of green in the concrete jungle of Bangkok: Lumphini Park. There's a wide span of different restaurants, cafes, shopping centres and ATM's in the direct vicinity, but you're far enough to keep you away from the hustle, bustle (and noise) of the busier parts of the district. An almost constant flow of taxi's passes by the hotel and about 90% of them don't need any extra push to put on the meter. Give the tuktuk's a miss, I haven't met one who I didn't consider a scam or cheat, and why give up the comfort of airconditioned cab? A maximum of 80 baht should get you a taxi to just about anywhere in central Bangkok. And for returning to the hotel, just mention Somboon Seafood on Thanon Surawong, as the closest landmark to the hotel

Staff, as mentioned earlier, was highly attentive, courteous, knowledgeable about the surrounding (giving tips on places to eat in the neighbourhood). I really can't compliment them enough. From the very first time I stepped into the hotel and was greeted with a “sawat-dee-ka!”, I knew I'd made a good choice. Very quick to respond to queries by email, and highly considerate of your every need.

Breakfast, included in the price, is served in the hotel restaurant, and contrary to some of the earlier reviewers I have absolutely no complaints: tea or coffee, fresh juice, a selection of fruits (pomello, lychee, grapefruit, pears, I've seen all sorts), toast, eggs in any shape or form you would like and bacon). I always left the breakfast table nicely satiated and satisfied, ready for another day.

So in summary, I can only say that next time I come to Bangkok, I will definitely be staying at La Residence and look forward to seeing the staff here again. I'd have no hesitation at all in recommending this place to anybody seeking a nice place with a more intimate atmosphere than any of the “big-chain” hotels.

• Liked — the staff, the terrific location and the spacious suite
  • Disliked — single rooms are a tad small
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2008

Stayed in this small hotel over the week end. Location is great. The rooms were simple, clean, and generally ok.
I had booked my room through internet, directly with them, and eventhough they were very nice by email, it was not so once we got there.
The stay was ok, convenient, eventhough no so welcoming, and I was rather enoyed when it got to the check out time, and that my bill was twice what was agreed on. They tried to make me pay for transfers which I had not requiered nor used, and they tried to charge me an extra night in a rather cheeky way ( by withholding my deposit, and charging the room as If I had not given one!).
Just thought I should post this up!
Enjoy bangkok, Its a great city!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank babsysingap
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2008

I ejoyed my short stay at La reseidence very much. I found the hotel staff very helpful and courteous. I stayed in two different rooms while there, one a single, and the other a double. each room is individually decorated with beautiful Thai pieces. The A/C worked really well. My double room had a nice view. The hotel was extremely clean. The breakfast was perhaps the only thing that might have been better...it was simple juice, eggs, white toast, and bacon with coffee or tea....but as it was included with the price of the room, quite reasonable. They do have wi-fi, for an extra charge of 150 Thai Bhat/day (USD approx 4.50). The location was very good for my needs - it's in Silom, on Sukhumvit Road, walking distance to patpong Night market, but far enough away to be quiet. I would stay here again.

• Liked — clean, good location, great price, great staff
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank mayalavender
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2008

We stayed at La Residence 2 nights as a stopover on our way to Koh Sumai and 1 night on our way back. The room was beautifully decorated and very clean. (All rooms are decorated differently) Reception answered all our questions and was very helpful. They even upgraded us on our 3rd night, after returning from Koh Sumai to a suite which was amazing. Both rooms had massive California King beds that were very comfortable. Internet in the lobby was very handy. We ate in the restaurant one morning which was good, but nothing great. I WOULD DEFINATELY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL and will stay there again on my next trip to Bangkok.. One thing beware of the Tuk Tuks they will try to take you to shops to buy something. One guy dropped me off in the middle of nowhere because I wouldn't buy anything from these shops.... SCAMMERS

• Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whistlerboy
chicago, il
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2007

I was in Bangkok just for a few days before headiing to China. This hotel was okay - my room was teeny tiny with a single bed. It thought it would be a little more "designed" based on reviews I had read, but it wasnt very interesting looking or having any specific redeeming factors other than that the airconditioning worked fine and the bathroom was clean. Nothing fancy.

There's internet available in the lobby, and a book exchange by the front desk. The subway system is very close by, so that made it easy to get around.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
5 Thank crazyhorse99
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

single rooms are too small but overall for location and cost it is a good deal.

• Stayed January 2007
5 Thank brendansfo
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2006

My girlfriend and I spent 4 nights in La Residence - 3 nights on a suite and 1 on a double room. The hotel was super clean, staff was very attentive, rooms were comfortable and nicely decorated and it was close to the Silom shopping and Skytrain (about 10-15 minutes on foot). The suite room was spacious and the double room was adequate in size. Both were decorated with individually; the decoration added life to the room. My only complain was that the breakfast could've been a bit bigger: only juice, coffee and 2 toast. You can order eggs and cereal at an extra cost. Still, this is minor compared to the overall experience and I would recommend this hotel to anyone that needs a good, clean, small, excellent price/quality ratio hotel in Bangkok.

• Liked — Service, location, rooms, cleanliness
  • Disliked — perhaps a bigger breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — book the suite. it's lovely and good price/quality-wise.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple