“G Adventures should find somewhere else now! Insect problems”

Bangkok Centre Hotel
Ranked #529 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was the last stop on our trip through Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. My view was that the hotel was very poor and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. For a start Wifi is a total joke. I have never heard of a hotel that does not provide free Wifi, and when you were able to get a code (each person had their own one for some strange reason) it didn't work. Their excuse is that it is just slow... well it simply does not work full stop.

Also the room was dingy and tired looking, and at the time we arrived there was workman carrying our repairs to the swimming pool so we couldn't use that.

The most worrying through were the insects I found crawling under my pillow. On the first night there I noticed a black insect at the top of my pillow, my husband got rid of it and I forgot about it. The next morning as I got up I pulled my pillow away and another one ran away from under it. I couldn't get back top sleep after that as it was clear there was an issue with insects in the rooms and the bed. Not what you need when you just want a decent lie in.

Last but not least we ordered a taxi to the airport for 9.00am. I was told by reception that there was no need to worry about this until the morning. On the morning we ordered a taxi for 6 of us but they wanted paying up front. We paid out the sum needed and waited and waited and waited. In the end we got fed up waiting and growing cocnerned about our flight time we went out onto the street and ordered our own taxis. Not what you need on your last day! We also had an issue getting our money back in full.

All in all I wouldn't stay here there are much better hotels in Bangkok (see my Banyon Tree review) and even if you want to stay in more of a budget hotel there are better ones for your money.

G Adventures... you really need to sort this out because you provide such beautiful hotels for the whole of your treks but this one on the last night was a real let down.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. Excellent location from Hualamphong Metro station. Only a 20 second walk to the station.

Service was good. Well looked after. English spoken by staff was reasonably good.

Hotel was clean with relatively modern decor. The room however was slightly dated especially the bathroom. The shower was usable, just.

Breakfast was terrible and I would not recommend it.

Overall good for the price but things to work on

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here as part of a G adventures trip and the location is perfect. We arrived by metro and the hotel is located just as you leave the station. The rooms were absolutely fine. The bathroom was not fantastic and was the biggest let down. It wasn't exactly spotless but was fine for just 2 nights. Staff in the hotel were very helpful, we inquired about a few things and had help instantly. However when we asked for a map, they pulled out a big cardboard copy and didn't have a copy to give us. The tourist information wasn't far though so we did get a map in the end.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel was the last stop on the G adventure tour. Plus points - it's close to the under ground station so you can get about easily and reception looks quite nice. However, the pool was closed for refurbishment, the rooms are tired, especially the bathroom which could do with updating and they charge you 300 Baht for wifi. We only stayed one night here before moving on to the shanghai mansion hotel in Bangkok (also reviewed by me!)

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night travelling independently through Thailand. The location is brilliant, easy walking distance from Hua Lumphong station via the underpass for the metro.
Most of the guests seemed to be travelling in large tour groups.
The room was large and had everything we needed, clean and comfortable bed, powerful shower and relatively larger rooms.
Not the place you would spend a lot of time in but absolutely perfect for an overnight in Bangkok.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Stayed for 3 nights and here are the issues surrounding my experience:
1-The reception area is 200% better looking than the rooms the difference will shock you. Rooms are one step above hostel status. I was wrangled in by G Adventures and wanted to not stay here, but they insisted as this is a "premier partner" of theirs and had to stay here (this poor choice in partners sadly reflects on G too)
2-no safes in rooms
3-HUGE communication issue between staff and customers; I heard a few arguments based on staff's poor communications (despite the high amount of English-speaking customers, they can barely speak English)
4-dead cockroaches on the floor leading to my room for days
5-my seizure medication went missing and I almost had to cancel my trip
6-someone else's hair was found on my bathroom floor
7-location is close to the subway, which was good; not a good part of town; not safe enough to walk around at night alone

If quality, cleanliness and safety are not an issue, this is the hotel for you!

Room Tip: Don't book here. You can find a better hotel on hotels.com. Mercure was amazing!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel was in poor condition and, despite the convenience of being near the train station, not worth the price. Stayed for one night at the end of a G Adventures tour (the hotel seemed to be filled with other G adv. groups). The room was dirty and hotel staff did not offer to change the room, rather sent someone to clean up the dirty floor. Walls were paper thin and you could hear the nearby rooms through the night. Bathroom was mildewy and old, with poor fixtures. Hotel pool was under construction and not usable. Buffet breakfast was poor quality. All in all, for only a few dollars more you could be in a four-star hotel in a better neighborhood. Would not recommend.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend the hotel at all.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends