“fantastic stay”

Ranked #20 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
Arklow, Ireland
“fantastic stay”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

The Shangri-La hotel was the most luxurious place we have ever stayed, and is at least half the price of the equivalent hotels in Europe or America and twice the level of service and attention to all your needs. Beautiful oasis.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,911)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2014

stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and had a fantastic time! cannot fault the hotel. Lovely location on the river - would recommend a river view room! We had interconnecting rooms also. Took us 25 mins to walk to patpong and it was a pleasant enough walk or £4 ish in a tuk tuk each way! Boat from hotel will take you to the temples and grand palace or in the opposite direction is asiatique (an old converted warehouse which are now trendy bars and restaurants)
Pool is a little small but i suppose with all the things to see in Bangkok we hardly got time to use it anyway! Had a meal in the Thai restaurant which was pricey but very nice with Thai Dance show during your meal. Breakfast was lovely with a huge choice including egg station. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: river view room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 24, 2014

As luxe properties go, the Shangri-La did not disappoint. We chose Shangri-La is was not quite as expensive as the others in the area. I was a little nervous that it would be nice, but it was. . . .it really was. Service was magnificent. We chose the (don't remember the nomenclature) upgraded level of rooms that gave us access to the lounge up top. DO THIS. The amount of free food and adult beverages you can put away up here will more than pay for the upgrade. Views from up top are really nice too. . . . .that is . . . .IF the smog isn't too bad.

Location was near shopping both local and high end, and only a few blocks from the L train (elevated public transport). Easy to use and not prob navigating.

Hotels on the river have free "shuttles" from the hotel docks that you can ride for free up and down the river. Take advantage of this too :-).

Over all, a great time!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to exec level access for the free lounge access. . . . .trust me.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I stayed at Shangri-La Bangkok for almost a month and so, I wanted to write a very detailed review of the hotel. It is truly a classic hotel with nice architecture and nice location. The view of Chao Praya river from the hotel is amazing. The rooms are nice and comfortable.

The service at lobby lounge, at their Italian restaurant Angelini and of the room service is excellent and they know how to treat the customers and hotel residents. However, some disappointment with Next2 Café and housekeeping.

• Next2 Cafe: (1 out of 5 stars):I was extremely disappointed with the service at Next2 Cafe. There were 2-3 times when I had to face their rude, inattentive and incompetent staff. First time, I went for dinner and they got my soup order wrong. After pointing it out, they gave the correct soup (French onion) and it was extremely salty. The main course took almost 40 minutes to come. People who came after me got their orders. The staff did not bother to apologize in earnest for the series of mistakes. They just waived the soup from the bill. Seriously, just waiving an item from the bill, doesn't absolve one of the poor customer service. I went back to my room extremely dissatisfied and ordered dinner again via room service and also raised my concerns with their manager. The good part was that I was listened to and they made it up by making the room service order complementary.
In another incident, I went for lunch and my order was taken by their restaurant manager. I asked for ‘Thai Iced Tea’ and he very rudely and curtly replied that they do not have it and if I want it, I should order it from the restaurant 'Salathip'. Come on, you are a five star hotel and can you not order an iced tea for your customer!!! I felt he did not bother to service their customers. There have been other instances also, but I choose to not mention here in order to not make the post extremely long.

• Room service ( 5 out of 5 stars) : As mentioned in above paragraph, room service always made it up for any bad service. They also were very meticulous in preparing my take away breakfast and putting it at the concierge every morning. Just amazing bunch of people! They really used to make my day whenever they greeted me with a warm smile.

• Housekeeping ( 3 out of 5 stars). Largely, the service has been satisfactory. However, sometimes I felt housekeeping needs more training on how to greet customers. 2-3 times it happened that when they came for cleaning of the room, there was no greeting and I felt they were just not happy doing their job. Also, sometimes I had to remind them to replace the toiletries as they forgot to do so on their own.

• Lobby lounge and chocolate room (5 out of 5 stars): True 5-star service and amazing view of Chao Praya river. Really liked the decor, the ambience and the polite staff. Just sitting there with a nice glass of wine/ champagne gave me a good peace of mind.

• Angelini (5 out of 5 stars): Classic Italian hotel and very good food. The head chef personally coming to you and asking about the food really adds a personal to the service. The quality of food and the ambience are the best one can get in Bangkok.

• Business Center ( 5 out of 5 stars): Very helpful and friendly staff

I just love Shangri-La as a brand and so if I come to Bangkok again, would love to stay here. I just hope that my feedback is taken in a constructive way so that the issues can be addressed in earnest.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Anshu R
Shangri-La_Bangkok, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Anshu R,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok and more importantly, for addressing all aspects of your stay in your review.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed our in-room dining, Lobby Lounge and Angelini services. We were, however, disappointed to read that our service at NEXT2 Cafe has fallen short in standard. For this, please accept our sincere apologies for the slow service at NEXT2 Cafe and our house keeping staff. Your comments are definitely taken constructively as it forms the foundation of our service improvement process as well as the training needed for our colleagues.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can personally assist you in any way at ed.brea@shangri-la.com.

J. Edward Brea
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I arrived at 11 am at the krungthep wing and we were warmly greeted with wrist flowers. The staff were more than obliging to allow us into our room in the krungthep wing early. Beautiful room, spacious, wonderful balcony overlooking the chaoprya river. Fresh fruit everyday. The krungthep wing offers a "happy hour (2)" normally however due to renovation this was in the horizon club on the 24th floor of the shangrila wing. For inconvenience we were given a free dinner.
The breakfasts - huge selection available from fresh breads to curry to sushi, just beautiful.

The pool is lovely and the private area at the krungthep is well worth paying a little extra. Staff are so obliging and helpful. Our 'butler' was lovely too.
We used the hotel boat to
Asiatique and it is handy, although there is a free service running past 9.30pm from
Just under the sky train.

Dinners were exceptional and no wonder such high accolades to Next2 . Huge selection and all fresh, just great.

Wonderful location to hop on the sky train or walk to the 'sky bar'.

The happy hour on floor 24 was wonderful. The nibbles fill you up and how we managed dinner is beyond me!! Always different every night.

Would highly recommend krungthep wing for those wanting peace and relaxation.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Vienna
Reviewed June 21, 2014

During our annual "around the world" trips Bangkok very often was a hub to refresh and recover
for 1 or 2 days, 2014 as well. A "hub" in BKK means for us since many years the ShagriLa-Krungthep wing.
And again: The room (icl the Bathroom) was excellent, service as well,smoking is possible on the little balcony with the amazing view to the river with the impressive traffic of the typical little boats as well the enourmous cargoships etc etc.
The restaurant (riverside) offers high quality of typical dishes and a good winelist (smokers welcome) and during daytime ( because of having been to BKK alreadry serveral times,not because of lazyness) we enjoyed the pool with riverview and very good poolservice.

The ShangriLa remains one of our hubs in Banmgkok1

Room Tip: Choose Krungthep Wing Deluxe balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 20, 2014

My husband and his aunt and uncle stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and what a hotel! For one, the location is perfect, right next to a bustling river. The hotel itself is elegantly decorated and the smell.... I'm not sure that it was, but every time you walked through the lobby, this very pleasant aroma filled the air. Perhaps it was all of the fresh orchids and lotus flowers. But wow! I wish I could have bought that smell!

Our room was excellent. We stayed in a deluxe room that had the perfect view of the river and city. It was fun to watch the party boats pass by. The only thing about the room were the beds, not the most comfortable bed in the world. A bit stiff. But overall, a very nice room.

The restaurants are excellent. We tried the outside lounge and the Thai restaurant. The one outside was quite a wait and not the best of service. But the Thai restaurant was perfect! Get the coconut ice cream! Only thing we didn't care for with the drink at the bar inside - tiny, tiny! My husband asked for Bailey's Irish cream and they gave him and a huge glass (wine tumbler) with a spit of Bailey's! It was actually more hilarious then disappointing! But yes - skip the drinks and go somewhere outside of the hotel for drinks.

And lastly, the breakfast buffet. Wow! What a spread! Anything and everything you could imagine. My favorites were the freshly made omelets and the fresh honey. Seriously, they have a honeycomb hanging, while the honey drips right off! Amazing! Would definitely stay at this hotel again! Thank you Shangri-La!

Room Tip: Must get a room that has views of the river and city
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family