“hotel review”

Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok
Ranked #22 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed December 31, 2013

we had wonderful view of river from our room and we definitely enjoyed location from sight-seeing point of view. We will definitely recommend this hotel for stay. only thing is there should be more choice of vegetarian food.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Reviewed December 31, 2013

If this was your first hotel stay in bangkok then you would probably think wow, it's amazing. However, we stayed at another five star hotel at the beginning of our holiday and that hotel blew this one out of the water completely. You would not call this five star after staying at the sheraton grande Sukhumvit. When we arrived at the hotel we were told our room had been cancelled.......what...how...I'd received an email from them on the 19th confirming my stay and wanting arrival times..... What they had done is booked me in with my name the wrong way round and therefore could not find my booking and so said we had cancelled. Completely unacceptable. We were told that a spare bed would be ready in our room on arrival......the bed did not arrive until 8.45pm and we had to sit up and wait to put our tired girls to bed. We stayed in the krungthep wing in a krungthep deluxe suite which was roomy. The afternoon tea and evening cocktails and canapés were nice but unfortunately my husband was eating some chicken satay only to find it was raw.... I did speak to the manager about being disappointed with everything and she offered me some fruit in our room....er no thanks! I did manage to get a trip to the airport out of them. I felt the hotel staff lacked genuine warmth and were not overly caring or friendly as we had found all other Thai people to be during the rest of our trip. The girls wanted to get in the pool when we arrived but sadly jumped straight back out again as it was absolutely freezing, all our other pools during the last two weeks had been gorgeous and warm so this was a massive disappointment. Overall I was so disappointed with our stay and really wished we had not chosen this hotel for our last two nights in bangkok. There is so much better for your money and I now know that there is only one hotel for us when we stay in bangkok - the sheraton grande on Sukhumvit, that truly is five star.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank emandmaddy
Shangri-La_Bangkok, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear emandmaddy,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok for your recent stay. I would like to apologize for the error in reservation, guest room challenges and the raw chicken satay. The service you experienced is not our standard and I hope that you will forgive us on this occasion. Your comments are valued and I look forward to the opportunity where we can demonstrate the services that we are renowned for. Please let me know how I can be of assistance to you in the future. kieran.twomey@shangri-la.com

Kieran Twomey

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Using Explorient to book our trips through Thailand and then, the next year, through China was the best thing we could have done. All details were taken care of. I spent a lot of time on the phone and exchanging emails with Kervin. Once he got a sense of how we like to travel he made hotel recommendations (and activities, restaurants, etc) to fit our needs. We stayed in several Shangri-La properties which were fantastic, especially in Bangkok and Hong Kong. I had my mind set on the Penninsula Hong Kong but Kervin convinced me that the special price he could get us at the Shangri-la would save us money and give us the view of the harbor that I was blown away by! Also impressive was the fact that when I was describing our room to our Explorient local guide Daniel, he informed me that he personally checked out the room before we got there. I only wish Explorient offered their services everywhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013

nothing but the best at the Shangri-La! After spending a week with family living in Bangkok, the wife and I ducked away for some five-start treatment and was not disappointed on tiniest bit. They upgraded us to a corner river view room with rose petals on the bed and in the bath.

The suite was spacious and ultra-modern

Their restaurants are available 24-hour to accomodate world travellers with differing dietary requirements and taste.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This place is simply the best hotel I've ever been to. Just to give some context: While we were staying there, an envoy from some government was there as well. Security, the whole 9.

Rooms: Perfect. Our room was overlooking the Chao Phraya River. Absolutely beautiful view. Cleaned to perfection everytime.
Service: Impeccable. There was nothing they couldn't solve or help us with.
Amenities: Whatever you wanted. The restaurants are a relatively pricey, but the food is awesome.
Nearby: You're basically downtown. You can do everything!

I compare all other hotels to this one. It's simply amazing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

They are too busy for the holidays. No time for the guests. Not the service I expected from a hotel of this caliber. Very hard to get their attention for anything. I am disappointed that only few staff members speak English. Won't stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Srinala

Dear Srinala,

Thank you for sharing your candid experience regarding your recent stay with us. Though being a big hotel, there is no excuse for our shortcomings on this occasion. Our goal is to provide impeccable services and facilities for all our guests. Your comments are taken in a constructive manner and effort is being made by those responsible to ensure repeat occurrences are prevented. Please contact me directly should you have any other valuable feedback for our improvement - kieran.twomey@shangri-La.com.

Best wishes,
Kieran Twomey

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We had scheduled a quick one night stop at the Shangri-la on our way back to the states after a 2 week vacation around Thailand. Of course it's a wonderful hotel, beautiful and the service is very attentive.
As we arrived in Bangkok we had noticed my dads foot had become very swollen. The concierge who met us at the airport took notice and called ahead to the hotel to make sure that a nurse could come to our room to check it out.
Unfortunately it turned out to be a cellulitis infection and my dad needed to go to the hospital. A representative went with my parents to BNH (a lovely private hospital) and walked them through the whole check in process.
In the end my dad had to stay on IV at the hospital for 4 full days before they let him go home but the hotel went out of their way to accommodate my mom over Xmas. They also called to check up with my dad and even brought beautiful flowers over to him.
Great service is expected at nice hotels but I have never experienced kindness like that and it made me feel at ease that my parents were in good hands when I had to head out a couple of days into the process.
Thanks again for making a potentially
disastrous situation so much better and for your thoughtful kindness!

Stayed: December 2013