“Great hotel, be careful with resevation”

Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok
Ranked #21 of 890 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is a very good hotel with an exceptional riverside location. Take caution with booking however. We booked through AGODA into the Krungthrup wing of the hotel. Agoda, without any choice or option made a reservation for a double room but for 1 person. On arrival we were forced to pay an additional TB560 per day for my wife. I suggest if making reservation use HotelTravel.com or an agent with a more open and honest policy

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EDCx
Write a ReviewReviews (8,627)

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Hello everyone !!! sawadeekrap.......
Just returned from the above hotel yesterday, the whole trip started from a flawless airport pickup. Shangrila staff was waiting for me once I stepped out from baggage collection area. He escorted me to the driveway where my Benz S class is waiting for me.
After a 40 minutes journey, we arrived in Shangri-La Bangkok. As a Shangri-La supporter, I try to stay back in the hotel chain as much as possible. The hotel is superb, luxury and exotic. I feel like stepping into my 2nd home.
Rooms were luxury and cosy, I opted for a room with a small living room facing the river.
Service was top notch, plenty of restaurant to choose from.
One of the night, I tried the famous Italian restaurant " Angelini ". Worth trying, they served great food. Spend your late night at Next 2 cafe beside the river, watching boats gliding along the river and sipping on a glass of cocktail. This is LIFE......lol
Conclusion:
Thou this is not my first trip to Bangkok, I had stayed in Pullman, St Regis, Hilton previously. What I can say is, Shangri-La Bangkok is a MUST STAY Hotel in Bangkok.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sirgoldencircle
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Shangri-La hotel is actually two hotels roughly joined by a huge banqueting suite and car park. If you want to walk between hotels it will take you over 5 minutes. I ended up staying in both parts, so you get a 2-in-1 review here.
MAIN HOTEL
The main hotel you’ll probably have booked is a good five minutes’ walk from the skytrain (BTS) which is not terribly convenient if you are carrying your luggage. This part of the hotel does have a free riverboat shuttle on the river from the waterside pier by the skytrain. It runs every ½ hour during the day and on the hour in the evening, but good luck finding which dock on the pier it uses. When I asked I was directed a very short walk to the entrance of the Krungchep Wing (see below.)
The hotel has a huge reception area on the first floor and a busy transport manager who is constantly organising taxis, limos or Tuk-Tuks for guests. There’s a ramp to bring vehicles and pedestrians up from street level to the reception. The ground floor does not seem to have access to the street. It has a big swimming pool and sundeck, a bar area (with shade or sun and smoking/non smoking tables) and two restaurants. This is also where you access the riverboat shuttle. There’s a timetable for BTS stop and the nearby river shopping mall, but no clues about when the boat will actually be at the hotel to take you to either destinations – I gave up waiting and walked (I get very impatient in 40C heat.)
I paid extra for a deluxe river view, so I was surprised to find I didn’t get a balcony, just a big bay window. This proved very frustrating due to reflections when I tried to take photos. There were maybe two rooms per floor which actually had a balcony.

KRUNGCHEP WING
This is where I arrived from the skytrain. As it was 8am I didn’t expect to be able to check in but it was worth asking. No, the room was still occupied and I was actually booked into the other part of the hotel. Could I change to this part of the hotel? But only if there was a room available now. There was so I paid an extra £25 and stayed the night in this wing. Far more convenient for the skytrain and I got to have my room immediately. This was all I expected from a luxury hotel. The room had a button for “Do not disturb”, also for “make up room now”, “refresh mini-bar”, and a few others. The room was slightly larger than my room in the main hotel. Bathroom was spacious, also nice big balcony.
There is a dining area down between the reception and the pool, where they serve breakfast and also a free afternoon tea (which I enjoyed, although I paid to have beer rather than tea with my sandwiches & fruit.) The pool was fairly small and rectangular. Seems only guests at the Krungchep Wing are allowed to use this pool.
I prefer the Krungchep Wing. The only downside is if you are meeting friends – which side are they on? The other one.

Room Tip: I prefer the Krungchep Wing.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DrVon2
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed here for the last 3 nights of our honeymoon. We had booked a room in the main hotel but received a free upgrade to the Krungthep wing which had a river view and balcony. The room was beautiful with a large bathroom ( shower and separate shower). The hotel had also left us chocolates, fruit and a congratulations card which was a thoughtful touch.

The buffet breakfast in the main hotel was the largest breakfast buffet I have ever seen which catered for every single persons needs. I would recommend having this at least once during your stay.

The hotel facilities were great and although the Krungthep wing had its own pool we preferred the main pool which had less shade and larger swimming area. The hotel staff were very attentive and even on a very hot day whilst we were there they provided free ice Lollys!

I only hope we get a chance to return in the future!

Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Cluggers1
Reviewed May 12, 2013

the room is very spacious, the view from the hotel is quite nice. the breakfast is excellent in terms of food variety and restaurant environment, the best i've ever had. the fitness centre was excellent too though the location is not quite convenient but it's good for vacation as it sits just next to the river.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cynthia1003
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed 6 nights on 11th floor of Krungthep wing. Excellent stay with good lounge extras. My butler arrived with a welcome drink when I first checked in. I did not see her again. Ice bucket is never filled, unless you call for it. Years ago I stayed in a deluxe room and it would be filled automatically. Bring a electrical adapter if you have a polarized three prong plug. Their outlets do not accept a US prong with one wider end , like in the US. I had a problem with my key card. They give two cards, but one did not work. I got it replaced, but had the same problem. Love the river view lounge, but it gets crowed during cocktail hour. Staff are very good, but when you pass some of the managers wearing the suits, they do not smile or acknowledge you like the service personnel. The manager in the Next 2 restaurant at breakfast was very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Rcgaijin
Reviewed May 9, 2013

we stayed in the Krungthep wing, which provided us with a large room with a river view and a balcony. The amenities that are included in this wing are top notch - breakfast is served buffet style with a choice of cooked-to-order options; happy hour (included) in the lounge for about 2 hours, with a selection of cocktails, wines, beer and hot and cold appetizers; afternoon tea with cakes. As others have mentioned, the hotel - especially the Krungthep wing - is directly next to the central ferry dock and a metro station, which are both great ways to get around the city and see the sites. The concierge was very helpful - we wanted to book a massage off property which they executed without any attempt to sell us the on-site spa offerings. They also secured a last minute reservation for us at Lord Jim's (next door at the Mandarin).

Room Tip: Staying in the Krungthep wing guarantees a river view, large room, and included club-level amenities...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple