“Simply Amazing”

Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok
Ranked #22 of 895 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had an wonderful time in Bangkok, and the Shangri-La Hotel was the the cherry on top of a delicious cake!! Our room was beautiful with a great view of the river. The breakfast was divine and the staff was so caring. Overall, we loved our stay at the Shangri-La.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yasi47816
Write a ReviewReviews (8,880)

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here for business in March. General impression is that it gives very good value for price.

Arrival and check-in: All good, and we were immediately offered a room upgrade to a balcony room for a very low price (200 THB per night...). Quick, helpful and efficient check-in.

Room: Great, a balcony with a view straight onto the river on one side of the bedroom, and a bathroom with a bathtub with a view over the city on the other side.

Staff and service: Mostly very good, but the service at the riverside bar was pretty slow and non-attentive. Shifted to the lobby bar eventually for evening drinks, even though we really would have preferred sitting outside by the river.

Food: Pretty good. Tried the Thai restaurant for dinner, and it was good, but you can find as good food for a lower price elsewhere. The Italian restaurant was also decent when we tried it, but I don't normally travel to Thailand to eat Italian... Surprisingly the buffet at the hotel was very good, as mostly hotel buffets that try to cover all the world in one sitting are pretty poor. Ate most meals outside the hotel, though. Didn't try breakfast, since time is short when I need to get to work in the morning, and I'm not up early enough when I don't have work...

Facilities and public areas: Big, high ceilings, nice lobby. Didn't use the pool as it was congested all the time I was there, and I mostly wasn't around during daytime. The gym is large and well-equipped. The lobby and bar and the riverside bar are really nice.

Overall this place is great value for money. Costs half what the Mandarin Oriental charge, and the differences in overall quality are marginal.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Saltcreep
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Just the most amazing hotel I have ever visited, from the moment you are greeted by the fantastic bell boys you are in the lap of luxury, nothing is too much trouble, travelling with three children in Bangkok is never the easiest but your every need is taken care of, upgrading to the Krungthup wing enables you to experience the full delights of breakfast, afternoon tea and early evening drinks and nibbles, cold drinks are served all day around the pool and in your rooms. The manager (Mr Laney) was always on hand mixing with guests checking everything was ok for you and every single member of staff never stopped smiling and everything is carried out as if you are the only guests staying. Pool attendants, bell boys, waiters and concierge are an absolute pleasure and the cleanliness and size of the rooms are second to none - thank you to all

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for Krungthup suite if you are a family of 4+
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Burgo8
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 days and I did not want to leave. The staff were friendly and competent. The service was amazing. My room was beautiful, clean, and spacious, with a fabulous view of the river (Chao Praya).
I chose this hotel because of the reviews and also chose the Krungthep wing, as recommended. As others have mentioned, there are plenty of extras on offer. The breakfast buffet was the best I can remember, with choices for American, European, and Asian guests. I don't think I've experienced that before. The afternoon tea, which is free of charge, is enough to be a meal. I didn't go to happy hour, but I'm guessing it was equally impressive.
My favorite part of my stay was sitting my the pool and watching life float by on the river. It was enchanting. I hated to leave and go sightseeing, it was that entertaining.
And I left some medicines in my hotel room, and with a phone call they sent it on to me at my next hotel. With no charges.
I, as most other guests, cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: Again, I think the Krungthep wing and most definitely with a river view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank dsm_99
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My family and i stayed here from 23rd to 26th March. The hotel is spectacular and the service is second to none. We booked a deluxe suite in the Krungthep Wing and a airport transfer. We were met at the airport by a 7 series BMW and whisked away to the hotel with fresh water and cold towels waiting for us in the back of the car. Approximately 50mins later we arrived at the hotel and this is where things started to seem a little surreal. Upon arrival the car doors were opened for us and we were met by two ladies in traditional dress handing out garlands of flowers. I was greeted by name and told my suite was ready and would i like to follow my escort. My family and i were given a brief overview of the K wing and before i knew it we had arrived in the suite and "check in" was conducted directly in my own suite!. Five minutes later our "butler" Ammy arrived with welcome drinks, cookies and macaroons! I have travelled to many hotels around the world but i have never experienced this level of personal service at check-in. Most of the time check in is a real pain and involves queues of people. Our luggage arrived 10 mins later.

Our corner suite had a double balcony providing views up and down the River.

Although the K Wing is part of the Shangri-la hotel they are worlds apart. The K Wing is quieter and has its very own vibe, despite every member of staff being extremely courteous it did seem a bit pretentious compared to the main Shangri-La hotel. This is not a criticism as i think its meant to feel like that, however i personally preferred the atmosphere of the main hotel. Having a suite at the K Wing gave us a host of benefits including a choice of breakfast restaurants. In the K Wing restaurant it was menu based compared with the excellent huge buffet style at the main hotel. We had Afternoon tea every day, Canopes and free drinks for two hours each evening in the riverside restaurant or in room, free soft drink in room and around the pool and as mentioned the use of our butler Ammy who was terrific.

The pool at the main hotel is awesome - without a doubt the best hotel pool ever. When selecting a sun lounger the pool staff woud insist on setting up the beds for you laying down towels and preparing ice cold water and ice lollies - again a really nice little extra

Being a 5 start hotel food and beverages were expensive but that is to be expected, we did have room service once and despite the cost the quality was excellent.

This hotel really is a sanctuary within the the big crazy city that is Bangkok. It was great to get out and see the sights of Bangkok but whilst out i could not help think what i was missing back at the hotel.

After 4 days we left the Shangri-la to travel to Phuket however we were so blown away by the service at this hotel no one wanted to leave.

Room Tip: 1. Pay the extra and get the krungthep wing benefits 2. River view is awesome
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Paul B
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Shangri-La Hotel is the best hotel I've stayed in Bangkok, the pools are wonderful right next to the river so you get the atmosphere of Bangkok but in a luxury setting. It is a great location near the Skytrain and river so easy to get around either by taxi or public transport.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jane3388
Reviewed April 9, 2013

easy check-in. all staffs welcome us with their smiles, and they are very helpful when we ask for information about shopping place and restaurants. He recommends me to go to Asia teak night market. From the hotel, it is very easy to go to Asia teak both taxi and public ferry. I prefer to take the ferry, so you can see a nice sight seeing along the river. my wife really loves this.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple