“Wonderful hotel and excellent staff”

Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok
Ranked #17 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Wonderful hotel and excellent staff, I would give this hotel five stars except they did not do well screening the taxi's and I had a very bad experience with a taxi driver. Had to convince him to eventually take me back to the hotel.

Great views all around

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Frank L
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I landed in Bangkok and only spent one night there. And knowing Bangkok a little bit, I wanted something clean, and safe. Shangri-La was appealing to me because of its location right in front of the river, and because of the mystics of the name (if you don't know about it, Google it!). Honestly, for this price, excellent service! I would come back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2012

hotel is amazing and the staff is really helpful and friendly, breakfast buffet has a great variety of foods, rooms have an amazing view, and all the recreational areas are very comfortable, the pool overlooking the river is amazing and you can have a drink by the pool while you watch the sunset,hotel is very close to most touristic areas and staff is really great at helping you find your way around the city, I loved this hotel, i would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: take advantage of their concierge, they are very helpful!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy Z
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Spent 4 nights before heading to Myanmar. The hotel is on the river next to the Mandarin Oriental and across from the Peninsula. Hotel has a free shuttle to River City and at night to Asiatique Night Market. it is a short walk to the BTS and on the river route for Chao Praya river express.
Best is to book a river view room with the Horizon Club breakfast and Happy Hour from 5:30-7:30.
This happy hour keeps on giving - all alcoholic beverages including VSOP Cognac and top shelf.

Hors d'ouevres are dinner itself including sushi- and desert and very thing in between

So good we may never get to Chinatown. Only negative is that the Spa and exercise facility is index renovation

Room Tip: Floors 23 - 26 are Horizon club. Better river view faces Peninsula
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Manhattansasha
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed in the Krungthep Wing mid-November for 3 nights. Reason for stay – Holiday.

I was really looking forward to staying in this hotel as I’d got myself hyped up into thinking that my wife and I were going to have a wonderful experience, possibly I was a little naïve.

I came away with the impression that this hotel really caters for international business as several well-known global companies were in residence. So I didn’t feel in was much of a tourist hotel.

The check in was handled in our room and was dealt with efficiently by a very charming and capable young lady called Samantha whom we saw most mornings for breakfast. (Intriguingly the Thai staff on their badges have their names anglicised. Probably just shot myself in the foot over that and perhaps they do have anglicised names!)

Shortly after check-in we were introduced to our butler who we had to call back within 20 minutes of meeting her as we discovered in the drawers a previous occupant’s clothes. Most amusing. After the Butler removed the clothing that was the last we ever saw of her. I did try calling for her on two occasions but gave up and soldiered on. Let’s face it, it was a nice idea but unless you’re used to have people at your beck and call it’s not really a hardship to do things for yourself.

The room was of a good size with all the standard amenities that you’d expect of a hotel this size. However, the bathroom was looking a little dated and may be in line for refurbishment, but hey you don’t live in the bathroom, so no big deal.
The view from the room overlooking the river was fantastic and it was bliss just to sit and watch the river traffic go by. Best bit was sunset.

Catering.
Breakfast was ok and nothing to rave about. The order for your cooked breakfast was taken at the table and when cooked brought to you. One morning we ordered our breakfast, mine was brought out to me and by the time I’d finished, my wife’s hadn’t appeared. We did ask for it several times and it still never materialised. (She filled up on croissants)

Staying in the Krungthep wing entitles you to afternoon tea which was very pleasant and for the chocoholics it must be the closest thing to heaven. Later on there is a happy hour where it’s free drinks of all types and canapés. If you box clever you could fill up on the afternoon tea and the canapés and not need to fork out for dinner.
Moving onto dinner. We went to the Next 2 restaurant in the main part of the hotel where we had the buffet. This had pretty much all the cuisines from around the world on offer and was well cooked and presented. The sweets got my wife’s vote, couldn’t get her out of the place. It was a bit like one of those all you could eat establishments.

Rightly or wrongly I got the impression that the Krungthep Wing was once a separate establishment. The architecture of the Krungthep significantly differs from that of the main part of the hotel and as you walk along the internal route (I say this advisedly) between the main part and the Krungthep there is a multi-storey car park.

Leisure
The pool in the main Shangri-La part is superior to the Krungthep’s. The Krungthep’s is more of a pool where you just swim lengths, whereas the Shangri-La proper is more of a leisure pool. Though, unless you are staying in the Krungthep you can’t access its pool.
The gym is currently being refurbished and this is well advertised, so not an issue. The makeshift gym was acceptable.

Now, earlier on in this missive you have got the impression I may be a bit uncouth. Well, during happy hour I asked for a beer and was surprised to have been presented with a bottle of beer sans glass. Now, I don’t mind drinking from a bottle, but, I’d never expected that in a 5 star establishment. Just didn’t see that one coming!

Adding up all the experiences I was glad I stayed at this hotel as it was a different experience from where we always stay (Marriott as was now the Anantara)
Would I stay here again? No. I was disappointed by the cumulative negative experiences which in themselves were nothing. This hotel didn’t live up to my expectations as I felt it really isn’t for tourists. I didn’t feel comfortable. This is a little unfair on the staff who were unfailing helpful (Butler excepted). I just believe I can get a better experience elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank doIhaveto_merseyside
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Great hotel. Fantastic location by the river. The best service I have experienced so far. Very convenient complimentary boat shuttle service up and down the river to experience the various river shopping and night markets.
Recommend the corner suites, preferably the 11th. floor. Fantastic vistas of the city.
Also recommend their Thai restaurant - Salathip. Fantastic food, great service and enjoyable classical Thai dances.
All together I would say that the hotel staff goes all out to ensure that your holiday there is an enjoyable experience.
Thank you Shangri-la. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: Higher floors, preferably between the 10th to 12th floors and definitely river view!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DGPNQ
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Today I check out of ShangriLa Hotel Bangkok. What a wonderful place to have spent the last 3 days. I booked an executive suite on the 10th floor and was very happy with my choice. This room gives you access to the Horizon Club which includes free breakfast and fabulous cocktails and canapés in the evening. The staff are wonderful and very friendly. The hotel is close to the river and Taksim train station so you can navigate just about anywhere. I decided to get the train here from the airport just because i have not experienced that before. I also had a massage at the spa here (Chi Spa) and it was probably one of the best massages I have ever had. I would thoroughly recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012