“Very special experience”

Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok
Ranked #21 of 884 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed in the Krungthep Wing in a Club room with a balcony overlooking the river with its traffic and sights both by day and by night. The service was perfect in every way. The club facilities included were excellent with breakfast and afternoon tea by the riverside pool,treats to look forward to. The location ideal with minutes walk to the ferry or the skytrain.
Our wing provided the very best of traditional excellence. Although any guests would be pleased for older couples it is ideal, every comfort and convenience and a real feeling of being looked after.
Only problem was not wanting to leave.

Room Tip: Riverside balcony rooms are the best possible but the whole hotel is more than first-class.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jandbhSydney

Reviewed June 24, 2012

If you want to be smothered with incredible service, this is the place. We were greeted by two or three people in the lobby when we arrived, including the Assistant Manager. Our room was five-star all the way and that evening, we ate in the hotel's "cafe", and were treated to a lesson by our waiter in identifying and opening the fruits of Thailand.

Asia has many more luxury hotels per bit city than North America seems to have. But as they each outdo their rivals in the realm of service, clearly, it's their customers who are the beneficiaries. We were there just one night -- having flown in from rustic Bhutan that day and setting off on a bike tour of Thailand the next morning. So the Shangri-La was the perfect luxury break between roughing. We'd absolutely stay at the Shangri-La again, certainly in Bangkok and hopefully in other cities as well.

Bob Ramsay and Jean Marmoreo

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob R
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed at the Shangri-La Bangkok for 3 nights in a deluxe river view room. I enjoyed my stay there and it was truly luxurious. The food was soo yummy. The view from the room was nice. location well was o.k. The hotel it self was a wonder. The staff were polite and very prompt. Want to go again. But prices are quite expensive. Breakfast spread at the 'next2' restaurant was so wide as well as tasty.

Room Tip: Get a room in the Shangri la wing. And also get a room with river views.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Hotelier8311
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The service here is really amazing. We had many random requests as we had a baby with us but all was dealt with perfectly. Great choice of food too.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Great hotel in an excellent location. Fantastic work-out facility - dont try to wipe down your treadmill - they do it. Breakfast is amazing. Typical great Shangri-La service. Can't wait to back.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave M
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed with my wife for two nights. Although we are regular visitors to Bangkok, this was our first stay at Shangri La, and after staying for two days and spending a few hours at the Lounge observing, I would rate the staff at this lounge absolutely the worst of all five star hotels in Bangkok and I have stayed in most.
If I was the hotel owner, I would change the entire staff at this Executive Lounge.

They do not do justice to the grandeur of the property and the investment that has gone into it or to the name that the Shangri La chain represents. As I observed, they were lazy, untrained, unmotivated and unmanaged with an attitude.

The room was great, the riverfront property truly five star and the breakfast spread and location by the river were fantastic.

I would like to go back as it is a great hotel and hope to see if the Exec lounge has improved. Mr Singh, a manager, whom we complained to was most responsive, concerned and went out of his way to make our stay pleasant despite the Exec lounge issues.

And if the same staff is still there when I return, I have a plan in mind. I would just ignore being ignored to be checked in, which is done in the Executive Lounge, if the only staff member is busy with another customer for half an hour. If I was to spend some time in the lounge enjoying the fabulous river view below and working on my laptop and helping myself to a few drinks and some snacks, I would just keep moving from one table to another table, as I would just not expect that anyone would clear the extra cups or plates or glasses from my table. And in the morning, if I get to the lounge after breakfast had been over one and a half hour ago and I still find small pieces of food and breadcrumbs on my table or chair I am sitting on, I would just take out my handkerchief and clean it myself. I would not bother Mr. Singh at all with these petty complaints. Of course, as this would be a return trip, I would not have to go through various hotel staff members who will walk with me a few steps and then hand gesticulate the direction of the Exec. Lounge where to check-in. I know the direction myself now.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Krisflyer13
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear Krisflyer13,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write us a review. We sincerely apologise for the unpleasant experience you went through at our Horizon Club Lounge and we have addressed the issue with the concerned department so that such an incident will not occur again in the future.

Kieran Twome

Reviewed June 22, 2012

It's not often you visit Trip Advisor and find a hotel where almost all the feedback results are in the Excellent range closely followed by Good.

For my first visit to a Shangri La, this hotel definately deserves the Excellent marks. Whilst the sheer size of the could be overwhelming, it really is something different inside, with the decor, garden and all the other features combining to make this somewhere special.

Everything was perfect. Service from the staff was faultless, the room (a Horizon Club Room) was stunning and all that you'd expect from a hotel with the reputation of Shangri La. Room had nice river view with window seats, large bathroom, with good sized walk in shower, and seperate bath. Impressive range of bathroom products - everything from toothbrushes to shaving kits. Also rooms had a couple of universal plug sockets which was very welcome. Wifi service in room pretty past. Has one of the best hotel pools I've seen in Bangkok with a great riverside location and plenty of sun loungers.

All credit to Shangri La for the facilities offered to Club guests. The service from the staff in the lounge was faultless, and the range of products/food/beverages offered through from breakfast to happy hour in the evening was one of the most impressive offerings I've seen in a Club lounge.

Only real complaint with the hotel, and it really is something minor - was housekeeping trolleys! Those hulking great housekeeping trolleys used to service the rooms were always in the halways, expect a more 'discreet' service for Club level guests. And it seemed to take them an age to service my room - it was almost lunchtime by the time they serviced it during the day and gone 9pm in the evening when they came to offer the turn down service.

Whilst there are plenty of taxis and tuk tuks touting for business outside the front of the hotel, you are just a short walk (through the hotel) to the Skytrain, so getting around the city is a breeze.

Only disappointed that my stay there was so short, this place is now on my 'must do again' list.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Constant_TravellerXX
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear Constant_TravellerXX,

We are pleased to hear you generally enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for pointing out our housekeeping service hiccup. We have addressed the issue with the Housekeeping Department who will do their absolute best to improve their overall service, particularly on the Horizon Club floors. We look forward to welcoming you in the very near future!

Best regards,