“Smartours hotel great stay!”

Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside
Ranked #137 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Canada
“Smartours hotel great stay!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Smartours exceeded all expectations with their Amazing Thailand trip. This was the first hotel and was very nice. I loved walking to the Asiatique Market, 10 minute walk down the street from this hotel. The only negative was that there was an excessive charge for wifi in the room so everyone was in the lobby using the free wifi. Breakfast was unbelievable with specially made omelettes.
Our guide, Ketsara made the trip exceptional. She was knowledgeable, kind, patient and efficient.
Our price for this hotel was very good. I rated it excellent based on a price of under $100.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank CanadaSuntraveller
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write this review.

I am so glad to hear that you had such an excellent stay with us. Your satisfaction is our first priority and we take pride in achieving that. We hope to have the honour of welcoming you again and we look forward to your next visit to Bangkok.

Klaus Sennik-General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Fujisawa, Japan
Reviewed November 21, 2013

As the hotel is a five-minute walk to a newlly developped shopping and restraunts area of "Asiantique," I chose the hotel this time same as last. The room rate is less expensive and I got an upgraded room, a suite room, on the Executive Floor. Enjoyed free evening drink and light meal, then went to Asiantique for shopping and dinner. What I most impressed was a support for transportation provided with concierge, Mike and Kelly. Both are so cheerfull and sincere to help me to arrange a taxi. I will stay again when I visit Bnagkok.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank ttoshi2013
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your continuous support and for sharing your nice review about our hotel.

It is great to hear that you were impressed with our services and that you were well taken care of during your stay. Your kind words about our associates have been shared to our team and they are delighted to know about your excellent feedback.

Thank you for being our valued loyal guest, and we all look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visits to Bangkok.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed two nights four people in two twin rooms in September.

Hotel
Beautiful lobby and lush garden.
The hotel river view bar and terrace was completely abandoned and under some kind of unclear construction, so no enjoying the river view really.
The hotel is definitely past it's golden days, external is worn and dated, interior is more modern but halls and common areas excluding the lobby are still very 90's.
Spa is ridiculously overpriced, you can get prime treatments in Bangkok for half price elsewhere. Gym was small but nice.

Pool is large, clean and with great sun beds,
Unfortunately most of the pool area is in the shade so don't expect great tanning possibilities
Nice service with towels, pool bar and shower bathroom facilities near the pool.

Rooms
Large and clean rooms, 90's almost ski cottage décor with weird bathroom setting featuring a Dutch door window over the bath tub? Making the twin room we stayed in little to the imagination what was going on in the bathroom, very weird.
We stayed in the right wing, compromising the river view only to partial view.
Clean and fantastic beds!

Location
Private shuttle boat from Saphan taksin pier was a great service. So was the complementary tuk tuk ride to the nearby asiatique night market well worth a visit. Not much else in the area. Either go by taxi downtown or go by boat, but be sure to have an early night since the last boat back is at 23h.

Hotel staff and waiters were very accommodating and friendly,
As of typical Asian manner, you'll be asked to repeat and re confirm your food order two to three times…

Only thing negative is the check in procedure, you're asked to give your credit card for any 'possible expenses, like the mini bar'
When we asked if it could be in cash instead, as I don't trust most hotels leaving them with my credit card details, the check in personnel assured us that it was only the details, no money would be withdrawn until checkout if any charges applied.ok so we left our credit card details.
Not only did the hotel reserve 3000baht on our cards the day of check-in, it took 10days and two calls to get it back! Lesson learned
DON'T EVER TRUST THEM WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD and make sure you have the 3000baht cash during checkin to avoid the problems we had.

Restaurant; I highly recommend the superb breakfast buffet definitely worth the 450baht per person, with a large variety of western breakfast items and hot cold dishes.

The pool Bar snack food was ok, tried sandwiches and desserts, overpriced but good quality and western portions.

Room Tip: If you want the best river view stay in the left wing (right wing if you have the river at your back...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jo W
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write us a review on TripAdvisor.

We highly appreciate your kind comments as we always value guests' impressions and expectations whether positive or negative as it is in the way that we can continue to improve our service standards. We sincerely apologize for the delay of your refund and we have carefully looked into this matter. The feedback receive from our guests is vitally important to help us grow and provide superior service to further enhance the guest's comfort.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and we hope you will give us another opportunity to welcoming you on your next visit to Bangkok.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I'm a travel agent and have been in this hotel with my group of 28 people last October in the beginning of our tour.
Two weeks I returned for more two nights (with my wife only) and asked for a late check out. They said yes, on the second day I've reconfirmed this information twice. But when I returned from my lunch outside my room door was locked them I've informed that I should leave the room immediately or my belonging would be confiscated in case I don't pay the difference. I've explained the case to some employees (they didn't care and insisted that I should leave as a STREET DOG).
I've also to speak to either a general manager or a duty manager again no one show up to talk to me.
I've been in tourism field for more than 30 years and never seen a scene like that. One client and his wife been treated like street dogs.
Apart from that I've requested a wake up call what never works. And in the end the taxi booked from the concierge never show up either.

Room Tip: DON't BOOK this hotel unless you want to be treated as a street dog.
Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank FabioElias123
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time out of your busy schedule to share your feedback regarding your stay with us.

I sincerely apologize for the adverse experiences you have encountered during your stay with us. I was very concern to read about the way you were treated and how your check-out was handled by us. Your valuable comments have been shared with the team and please be rest assured that appropriate measures have been taken to clarify and rectify the situations.

I will be writing to you personally with an apology note shortly.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to Bangkok.

Wirral
Reviewed November 16, 2013

The hotel is in a great location if you plan to use the river as your main access to the city. It has great facilities, the swimming pool, the restaurant, room service, and all of the things you would expect from a big brand hotel. The key to the city is the fact that the hotel provides a free shuttle boat to the Central Pier which then gives you access to the Sky Train and the tourist boats. We only had two days in Bangkok which was not really long enough. We took the shuttle boat each day from the hotel. On our first day we paid 150 THB for a day pass Sky Train ticket, the second day we paid 150 THB for the tourist boat which provides access to the main piers on the river. You can see an amazing amount in even a short space of time, and the hotel staff will provide you with all of the information you need......... you just have to ask ................ The added bonus is that it is in walking distance of Asiatique which is the new night time market. It has so many stores and restaurants and well just about everything you could need when travelling for business or pleasure

Room Tip: A Riverside room on the Executive floors gives the best value for money and the best views by far.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Edna_M0de
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this fantastic review of the Ramada Plaza Bangkok.

It was a pleasure to read that you had a wonderful time with us appreciating the hotel's location with easy access to the Sky Train, the tourist boats, other sight seeings and the “Asiatique”. Moreover, I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel facilities and services and that your short holiday was amazing. We strive to make each and every stay with us a memorable experience for our valued guests.

Once again thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next plans to visit Bangkok.

Oxford, UK
Reviewed November 15, 2013

In the past I stayed at the Holiday Inn Silom (see my review there) but my stay at the Ramada Plaza was more than a just pleasant surprise. I stayed at this hotel for business, however I do not feel that I had any different needs and expectations from the reviewer who commented that this hotel is only for “seminars and groups”.

When I travel, I expect a warm and hospitable welcome, a quick check-in, a clean room with decent workspace, a comfortable bed and a clean bathroom. From a hotel of this standard, would also expect a reasonable choice of eateries with good quality food and perhaps a bar where I can have a drink to relax after a long working day without being harassed by the various ‘dodgy’ personalities that one may encounter in large city hotels. I also expect good service from courteous and (preferably) smiling staff and an efficient check-out. These expectations were met 100%.

The hotel is well maintained in spite of its age and my room on the14th floor with a view on the river was spacious and spotless. More than enough supply of towels and a rich range of quality amenities. Lighting, air-condition and TV were in perfect order.

I used the swimming pool early in the mornings, had fantastic breakfasts throughout and had a lunch buffet at The Terrace@72 with a very rich selection of Asian and European dishes, a wide array of desserts and fruits at a very reasonable price. Some colleagues in my party had dinner in the Eurasian Grill and praised in particular the steak-menu – so this is a “must” for me in my next visit!

I opted to walk for 10 minutes to reach the near-by Asiatique, a massive modern shopping complex on the Chao Phraya river which –in my opinion-is the city's top entertainment destination. Enjoy there a beer from the wide selection offered by the “Beer and Brew” (opened just two weeks ago) and whole roast chicken at the “Fine and Dine” bar/restaurant.

Thinking more about the comments of other reviewers on the hotel’s location, the hotel offers a very convenient shuttle boat to the near skyline station from where one can travel almost anywhere in BKK. Also the hotel arranged (safe) taxis for me whenever I needed.

I left last what I found most impressive and important and this is the staff in this hotel. Every single person I encountered and dealt with was courteous and did whatever was needed to make my stay pleasant and comfortable. Some of them may be young and inexperienced but from my perspective they offered as professional service as possible.

All in all, I think that I found here a home away from home” and I will most definitely come back when again in Bangkok, for business or for leisure.

Room Tip: Ask for river view rooms. 14th floor between 1440's are excellent
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to write such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor!

It was an absolute pleasure to read through your review. I am glad to hear that you had a fabulous stay with us and that you were satisfied with the Ramada Plaza hospitality. It is always great to hear from our supportive guests and we are so privileged to have the opportunity to be of service to you. We take pride in offering our guests a high level of service and your satisfaction means a lot to us.

Thank you once again for your very kind comments and please let me know when your plans bring you back to Bangkok. I would be delighted to assist you with the necessary arrangements.

We look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I booked direct with the hotel sometime prior to our arrival as there was a total of 26 people.
Aphrida was very helpfull and all arrangements were perfect.
the rooms were excellent but Reception staff performance was very poor.]
Our room was OK carpets need replacement. Bed and pillows great. My account was OK.
Where people were paying next day for accounts these were not deducted of account.
Where 2 persons sharing and requiring 2 seperate accounts this was nearly impossible. It took over 1 hour prior to departure to correct the account.
We unfortuneatly had 1 lady sick who was not allowed to fly home with us. She happened tobe in the same room with the lady who had problems sorting out there account.
The reception spelt the sick ladies name wrong regardless that passports had been checked and each time the travel insurance company tried to contact her they were told she was not a guest. this caused a lot of worry to the travel insurance company and herself which meant she had to make expensive phone calls herself to Sydney. Ever though she went to reception on several occasions a requested her correct name be entered in the data.
Then on check out she had to spend another 1 hour plus to sort her account out. Still showed the other guest she shared with even though she checked out 3 days earlier.
Each day the lady left her room for cleaning her room key disabled and she had to return to the reception for re coding. AND remember this lady is not well. Her room meals were not edible.
So what do I rate the hotel, good rooms, great breakfast and special buffet OK

Room Tip: River view only
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mysticview
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your experience with us.

My sincere apologies on your dissatisfaction with your group's experience during your stay with us. I was very concern to read your review about the service you had received at our reception. I have since, shared your feedback with our team and I had called for a full investigation on all points you had shared with us. Please be rest assured that appropriate actions have been taken and further improvements will be looked into. It is our aim to try and meet our guests' expectations and I do apologize that this has not been the case. I would, however, like to thank you for your kind words about our associate, Ms. Aphirada and for the nice comment on our rooms.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you again on your next visit to Bangkok and please feel free to contact me directly should there be any opportunities for us to make your visit a pleasurable experience.