“acceptable, but not good”

Rembrandt Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #101 of 868 Hotels in Bangkok
london
“acceptable, but not good”
Reviewed November 28, 2007

I stayed with my wife and 2 children for 4 nights in total, on 2 separate occasions separated by a week. Each time we were given twin beds pushed together rather than the promised double bed. We requested 2 cots in advance but each time they denied any knowledge of this when we checked in. Room rate was increased (not by much) on checkin both times- this appears to be almost routine, going by previous reviews. Rooms are ok but definitely small for Bangkok. Receptionists surly/rude when busy. Poor TV reception, 400bhat for movies. "Business Centre" (2 computers, 1 fax and an angry attendant) officially opens at 7am but don't bother going until 8.30 if you want anything to be running. 260bh for 30 mins internet access, 4 free pages of printing included (oh stop, you're spoiling us). Pool bar is grubby. Good selection at breakfast buffet but nothing particularly nice, coffee is cold and bitter. Lobby bar is expensive and gloomy. Don't order international papers-they charge 300bt and promise delivery by 11am but 3pm is more accurate. On the positive side... room service is good and pretty reasonable, non-reception staff are friendly and charming, the location is excellent, the pickup from the airport is efficient (but negotiate with one of the freelancers outside for your return trip) and it's very clean.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — reception
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
NW England
Reviewed November 17, 2007

We stayed at the Rembrandt for 3 nights as part of a far east tour. Although we checked in at 1am there was no problems and we were upgraded to a VIP room to make up fo rthe fact there were no non smoking rooms available (in the end it didn't smell of smoke as teh air conditioning took any smell away). We didn't have to make fuss the hotel had already arranged the upgrade. The room was great really big, massive bed, sofa and really clean.. All the retaurants served great food and the entertainment in the mexican restuarant and bar was excellent in the evening with a live band. The pool ws clean and private with great views of the city.
The location waas good for sight seeing as the hotel is 100m from the sky train which will take you into the city centre, down to the river or to the bright lights of Papong. We loved it and would definately stay there again

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — the lobby
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Essex UK
Reviewed November 6, 2007

We arrived at the Rembrandt Hotel following a 15 hour journey via Dubai to be greeted with a very genuine and much welcome reception from the hotel staff. We entered our room and were greeted by a fantastic view over Bangkok from the 18th floor. Our room, and most important for me, the bathroom, was absolutely spotless. Our luggage was brought to our room within minutes of our arrival. The breakfast buffet was magnificent, catering for all tastes and included well known cereals, croissants and pastries, fried breakfast, waffles, omlettes to order, fresh fruit, yoghurt, traditional Thai breakfast and gallons of tea and coffee. We ate at the highly recommend Indian restaurant on the 26th floor with fantastic views over Bangkok with live Indian music as accompaniment. It was a little pricey compared to other establishments in the area, but a very well worth experience which we would defiantly recommend. We also tried the Italian restaurant on the 4th floor, again a little pricey, but the service and ambiance soon made up for this. Our taxi for the flight home wasn't due until 22.00 so we were able to extend our check out time to 18.00 for a small charge, and whilst we were waiting, visited the 24 hour cafe for a snack before we travelled. Don't be put off by the term 'cafe' as it was far more than a greasy spoon. The choice of food was varied from a bowl of soup or a sandwich to traditional Thai cuisine and the prices were very reasonable. A thoroughly enjoyable stay and would definately return.

• Liked — Helpful and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Hawkwellian
New York
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We really enjoyed our stay at the Rembrandt. It is a nice oasis for Westerners visiting Bangkok. Good business services, travel assistance, etc. Our room had a great view with a balcony. I understand the executive rooms are going through an upgrade and I can't wait to see them.

The location is good as it seemed to be conveniently located for us as tourists.

The complimentary breakfast is nice and the Indian restaurant on the top floor is absolutely fantastic (food, views, etc.).

For the money, it's a great hotel. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Nice room, great service, services/amenities, restaurants
  • Stayed August 2007
4 Thank J_Lebowski
Eric H, Director of Sales at Rembrandt Hotel Bangkok, responded to this review, February 17, 2016
Dear J_Lebowski

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us here at the Rembrandt Hotel during your recent trip to Bangkok and for taking the time to post your feedback. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated and we are so pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Thanks again and we shall look forward to your return.

Pullman, WA
Reviewed August 1, 2007

This this the second time we stayed here. We like the central location near the convention center. Both times the price increased 40-50 USD over the confirmed price. The people were nice- I am afraid I won't stay in a hotel anymore I cannot trust. We are planning to stay at the Weston or Sheraton Sukumvit Hotels when we have to come to the convention center next time.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank BWackier
Eric H, Director of Sales at Rembrandt Hotel Bangkok, responded to this review, February 18, 2016
Dear BWackerPullman_WA

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us here at the Rembrandt Hotel during your recent trip to Bangkok and for taking the time to post your feedback. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks again and we shall look forward to your return.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed July 20, 2007

The hotel is clean and well-appointed. The service is normal Bangkok service - polite and efficient. The room was a bit cramped. There was no broadband connection. The hotel is in a Soi about 100 metres from the main road, and 300 metres from the nearest skytrain station. There is no entertainment close by, just a few very small foot massage shops, nothing great. I would not stay there again. I can get better hotels in Bangkok for that money.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Sikri
Dear Sikri

USA
Reviewed June 26, 2007

I am from the USA and am a permanent resident in Phuket Thailand. I travel all over the world and stay at many hotels. The stay at the Rembrandt was one of my worst experiences. My company booked our reservation on-line with a credit card. I had a confirmation. When I went to check in it was a nightmare from the start. My family and I had just came from the airport and had stayed up all night at the airport. The front desk had trouble finding my reservation. But then because the reservation did not mention my two children under 11 years old the staff began to make a big issue of it. It was demanded that I pay in full, in cash, which I did but had already been booked. It took me two hours to finally get a room. I was charged for one extra person. My children had to sleep on the floor because an extra bed was never brought to us. After getting to the room within 4 hours I got a telephone call from the front desk wanting to know what time I would check out the next day. The next morning as I walked out the door after washing my hair with soap because there was no shampoo and in a wringled shirt because I was told I would have to pay to use an iron. At 7:00 am I was asked by housekeeping what time I was leaving. I was contacted 4 more times before check out time, what time are you leaving? When I went to check out I was informed to pay more for my 5 year old son. I expressed my concern and asked to speak to the manager. I was told the manager was not available. As I walked away my wife saw the staff laughing at me behind my back. I had ask for a taxi but ended up going outside to the side of the road and flagging down a taxi. I really felt the security guy wanted to help but he could not understand english. This is supposed to be a 5 star hotel. I had booked for two weeks but left the first day. I do not recommend the Rembrant to anyone.

• Liked — appearance
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business