“What you pay is what you get”
Review of Furama Silom

Furama Silom
Ranked #235 of 881 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We also didn´t pay too much for this hotel but the first room they gave us was disgusting. It was very big but the furniture and the carpet was from other era, dirty and smelly. We had to pay extra to change to lovely an renewed bedroom in floor 12. (If I am not wrong floor 12 and 11 were new)
This bedroom was big, the bathroom had a perturbating glass wall but everything was new and nice. The pool is in the top roof and it was a little bit small, but you will appreciate a pool in that warm weather. We couldn`t get towels in the roof. The breakfast was delicious (buffet) like a 4 star breakfast buffet (also as the second room (deluxe)), but the first room was like a 2 or 3 star hotel.
If I go again I will stay in Siam rather than Silom.

Room Tip: Stay in a deluxe, the supreme are awful
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pame2000
There are newer reviews for Furama Silom

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I booked a superior room , it was large , convenient and in a reasonable price .. It was near to Paptong Night market and with an amazing shopping mall that I really loved , MBK CENTER!

I think for all the tourists , it's better to book your tickets in this hotel if your saying here coz they at very cheap compared the real price ! As usual you need to bargain ALOT .. Sometimes they really exaggerate like 500 baht in taxi .. So you need to play it smart

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

A lot of what the guests reviews here is true, but subjective to how convenience or even luxury is viewed.

I got this hotel for a last minute trip, a hotel that I did some research on but I havent been in Bangkok for over 15 years so this was a "hit & run" choice, rather its cheap at only US$55 per night. Stayed for 5 nights.

The location was pretty convenient, for me that is ... its about 10 to 15 minutes walk to Nongsi station. From Nongsi station, you are only about 5 to 7 stations from anywhere worth visiting in Bangkok. The Chao Praya river is 3 stations away for your River Cruise tour.

Patpong is within walking distance and the food joints around the area are tourist friendly, so you can hop in any food shop and eat. Prices for me look affordable for these places.

The rooms are huge ... with a balcony. This hotel reminds me of past experiences of hotels in the 80s, where the corridor outside your room is not air-conditioned. Does it matter to me ? Of course not ... my room is fully airconditioned, that is what matters. However, this is the first hotel that I have been in, in a long time that I can find the aircon condenser hanging in your balcony. So all I can say is ... its not central air-conditioning.

Bed is wonderful ... again for me. Looks old but still a pleasure to sleep on. Did I mention King- sized bed ? But the bathroom needs some minor touches. Everything works but not a wonderful sight to observe. Well it works so no complaints there.

The breakfast is major ... i loved it. The only drawback ... Orange juice is not orange juice, its cordial orange syrup. The same for the Apple juice. The rest is great ... mostly Asian but they do provide the salads and croissants for those not used to the Asian porridge breakfast.

The hotel pool at the roof is a nice calm. Very relaxing to just sit by and watch the clouds go by whilst having a drink. Not a huge pool but enough to get you some fun. Internet is not fantastic but acceptable, unlike some bigger names hotel that I have been in.

TV programmes, mostly Thai channels but they have some English movies covered in designated channels. But I hardly watch TV anyway so I wont complain. But if you got kids, they probably will ... Kids channels are subbed in Thai.

Overall ... I expect it at the price I paid for it. Not too shabby really ....

Room Tip: Bring your own toothbursh and toothpaste.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShahrilHarman
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Good location on Silom Street close to the nightmarked, Patpong. We stayed her twice in june and july. First stay in a superior room. It need a makeover, but it was a big room for us. Next stay was in a delux room. Its a nicer room, but the glass bathroom is not for a family! Very good breakfast, and a friendly staff. I will stay here next time in Bangkok.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Unacceptable behavior from hotel's staff. They gave us a dirty room with a leaky roof and a stuck sink... they reffussed to change us the room till next day at 2pm. They accepted to take care of the room's problems but 12 hours later when we came back, none came into the room, which means that the stained/stinky towels were still on the floor as well.
They tried to cheat on us regarding the money, firstly with an early check in, the initial prize was 1000B, after 2 minutes, 500B, finally we didn't pay it. Also when we needed to call a taxi, they wanted to make us pay the phone call.

The bathroom was absolutely old dirty. Only when we decided to leave the hotel, suddenly they found a spare room for us... slightly better than the old one, far away from a 4-star hotel, closer to a one-star.

In conclusion, be aware before booking on this hotel, perhaps you'll be lucky and they'll give you a nice room and they'll behave properly, we were not so lucky, even though we begged them because of our honey moon.

Worst experience I have had ever in a hotel.

Room Tip: Not to choose this awful Hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank manuel s
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Furama and me got off to a bad start and we never really recovered from there. When I arrived the room was not ready and I was asked to take a seat and wait. This was fair enough as I had arrived before the magic hour where Housekeeping say that rooms will be available. The problem was that the Reception staff seemed to change shift and I was left waiting for a very long time before I had to return to the desk and ask again for my room.

After getting to my room I wanted to put some items in the safety box but this was locked. I called Reception and they assured me the Duty Manager would arrive in 10 minutes to sort it out (I was waiting to leave for an appointment). It was 30 minutes later and no Duty Manager. I called Reception again and was told to wait 5 minutes. 10 minutes later someone turned up, no apology but he did sort out the safe.

The hotel itself is situated in Silom Road about a 5 - 7 minute walk from Chong Nonsi BTS Station or 10 - 12 minutes from Sala Daeng (and Patpong). Not out of the way but not the most convenient location for either attractions or shops.

The room (which I think was a Superior Room) was very large but the decor was very uninspiring, functional and cold and the space was not very well used. The bathroom was relatively small with no separate shower. The room was clean, except for a very scruffy balcony, but the curtains, towels and bed linen had all seen better days. The whole hotel has a rather spartan feel to it with no real warmth either from the decoration, ambiance or the staff. It reminded me more of a dormitory block than a hotel.

The breakfast buffet selection was very good and all the food I tried was well prepared, replenished and presented. The restaurant where breakfast is taken, however, is very dark and dismal with hardly any natural light.

The one positive note that I can say about the hotel is that its rates are very competitive but then its location and service does not merit anything higher.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank geoffhoppy
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My brother and I checked in this hotel end of June for 4 days 3 nights. We were initially given the superior room but the room reeks of paint (even the porter also thought so and opened the windows for us to let fresh air in) and we weren't too happy with the room as it was quite old. So, the hotel staff was understanding enough to give us a free upgrade to the deluxe room which was much better. Deluxe room was new, without any weird smell and has lots of space.

Breakfast was good with a variety of choices - porridge, intercontinental, Japanese, Thai. Please he the black coffee machine for great tasting coffee, the silver one is not as good.

Swimming pool on the roof top was too crowded but gym was fine. My brother pulled me to the gym twice during the trip. It was a bit stuffy in the beginning but we got used to it after a while.

The grouse I have is the distance from major shopping malls to the hotel. We stayed in hotels near MBK and National Stadium BTS before and felt that it is really much more convenient to stay nearer to the BTS. It is not a long walk from Furama to the BTS (about 10 minutes) but from the BTS we still need to take 10-15 minutes to go to Siam Center and MBK area.

Key takeaway is that if you wish to stay in a hotel with good quality and is reasonably priced, Furama Silom is fine. But in terms of location and convenience, you might want to consider hotels near to National Stadium BTS.

Room Tip: Book deluxe room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family