“our favorite hotel in bangkok”
Review of Grand President

Grand President
Ranked #706 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
wailuku, maui
“our favorite hotel in bangkok”
Reviewed May 4, 2008

our family stayed for 5 days and 10 days at GP this march. overall 5 star family style (not 5 star oriental) hotel with good rooms, new appliances (the combo washing machine/dryer was different!). we stayed in tower 2 royal suite. the location and the staff attitude are the two best things about this hotel. pool is repaired and just great. GP now has its own "green taxis" so you can avoid the touts out in front. took us wherever, no backtalk, on the meter. the previous two posts just about sum it up. everything was smooth and pleasant. nearby restaurants including limoncello, rosnbieng, and tapas were very good.

• Liked — location, appliances, view
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank wemWailuku_Maui
GMGP, Resident Manager at Grand President, responded to this review, May 9, 2008
Good morning sir,

Thank you for your positive review. The team at Grand President is happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

See you soon !!!!!!!!

Have a nice day.

Affendy B Ismail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed April 15, 2008

We stayed here for 11 days in two separate stays at the beginning and end of our trip. both times we were in suites. The first time was in tower 1 and the second time in tower 2....the tower 2 room was larger and may have been a royal suite....not sure. Anyway, we found the entire staff friendly and helpful throughout our stay.....all help and questions were patiently received and answered. The bellmen were always there to assist or answer any question with regard to transportation or baggage handling. (We left one bag with them while we took a side trip to Cambodia.) Both rooms were worn and starting to show "wear", but they were always well serviced and clean. We loved having a safe in the room and a large refrigerator.....it was nearly 100F every day and a cool drink and airconditioned living room made our stay much more pleasant. There is a business center and both ladies that run it are competent, gracious and friendly. This hotel is well-priced and a real value.....considering the size of the rooms, the wonderful breakfast buffet and its superb location to the Nana Skytrain. There are loads of ATMs in the area and a good western style market a few doors away....called the Villa Market and it is open 24 hours. We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Staff, location
  • Disliked — Proximity to red light district....reason for not recommending for families with children....aslo Bangkok is not set up to deal with handicapped visitors.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank eurolady28
GMGP, Resident Manager at Grand President, responded to this review, April 17, 2008
Good afternoon sir,

Thank you for choosing Grand President. I am very happy that the staff have treated you in the way that a customer would expect. I have convey the message to the staffs.

Thank you for your positive review and hope to see you soon at HOME!

Alberta
Reviewed April 14, 2008

We stayed at the Grand President at the beginning and end of our trip to Thailand. What a great place to both start and end our adventures. We arranged a pickup at the airport as we got in late and from the time we were picked up, everything was first class all the way. Nice cold towels and icy cold water in the hotel van, and super fast check in when we got to the hotel. The staff was always pleasant, friendly and smiling. We had no problems at all with the rooms. The location of the hotel is great, just a 5 minute walk to the BTS SkyTrain. No problems at all getting around.
The food in Cafe 11 was always great, whether for breakfast (great buffet), lunch (again a great buffet) or supper. The rooms we stayed in were neat and clean. All in all this was a great hotel to get prepared for our Thailand trip and a great place to wind down from the trip.
Thanks to all of the staff for making our stay such a great experience.

• Liked — The excellent service.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Ken G
Good afternoon sir,

Thank you for the compliments on the pick up arrangement. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and the staff were helpful. I am also glad that you find the service was to your expectations.

Thank you again and see you soon at HOME!

Ontario Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2008

We, three of us, in two rooms stayed there at the beginning and the end of our trip in early and late March 2008, for a total of nine days.
We had booked the front end portion after we looked it over on TripAdvisor, and re-booked it after our first four days for the end our of trip across Thailand, because we were pleased with our initial stay.
Grand President has three towers.Main and tower # 2 side by side on one side of Soi 11 , and tower #3 across the Soi 11 street. Tower # 3 has a left and right wing A two minute walk.
Not a wide street. We were in tower # 3 right wing, third floor. No view. Did not matter. Access to tower #2 swimming pool.
We arrived very late, and had a good reception and set-up in our rooms quickly. Medium size rooms with plenty of storage space.
Not freshly paint but clean and quiet. Good bathroom with plenty of hot water. Good working A/C.Good service.

Excellent hot and cold buffet breakfasts, in a fairly large restaurant located in the main building. Great service.

For our second stay, we lucked out and arrived early in a chaotic day at the reception. Within five minutes we were upgraded to a suite ( two private rooms with a mini apartment c/w full kitchen and a washing machine and 3rd TV in between the rooms), this time in the left wing of tower #3, c/w an almost private pool on the ninth floor and open untill 10 pm. Used it daily.

Soi 11 has several good restaurants, 7/11, $$$ exchange, grocery stores, Thai massage parlors, all this between the hotel and Sukhumvit road where the Nana sky train station is, five to
seven interesting ( so much action) minute walk. SAFE.

We chose to return to the Grand President to complete our trip,because it's a good hotel in a good neighbourhood situated
close to Nana . The Sky train was our life line to explore Bangkok.

Do not miss the night market on both sides of Soi 11 on Sukhumvit road.And make sure you get at least a Thai foot massage. A good massage parlor is situated about tree minutes from the hotel on Soi 11.

Do not hesitate to stay at the Grand President for a short or long stay.

A world traveller.

• Liked — Good stat and location and value.
  • Disliked — Situated across the street from the main building , but not a big deal.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OntarianSenior
Good afternoon sir,

Thank you for your positive review on Tripadvisor. I have convey this review to the rest of the team.

Hope to see you soon at HOME!

Hawaii
Reviewed March 14, 2008

I go to Thailand on business about 5-6 times a year. I like the President Hotel chain because of the large rooms, reasonable prices and friendly management and staff. This trip, I started out staying at the President Solitaire which is where I have been staying for the last 5 years. I really love the hotel but over the last few stays I started to experience some serious issues with the Internet connectivity. Since I am CEO of an Internet Technology company, this simply was unacceptable and I finally decided to move up the street to the Grand President Hotel after running an equipment test first. I found the management and staff of the Grand President to be first class. The resident manager, Affendy Ismail and his assistant, Leo helped to make my stay at the Grand President a first class experience. It's the small things that really make a battle tested road warrior like myself happy. When I mentioned to Affendy that there was no decaf in the restaurant, about an hour later, Leo showed up with a large new jar of instant coffee, courtesy of Affendy. The next morning I also found out that decaf was newly offered at the restaurant. These are people who really care about making your stay at the hotel gratifying. The Internet technology at the Grand President while not perfect, was pretty good and allowed me to use my Vonage phone which is crucial since I work all night long in Bangkok getting on conference calls from New York to San Francisco. Without an IP phone my telephone bills would simply be preposterous. Also, the IT staff (Mr. T) was incredibly helpful in making sure my computer/vonage phone set up worked. I also must thank my dear friend, Khun Kwan who works in the GM's office and who has been like a younger sister to me over the years. I also must mention the effienciency and friendliness of the helpful lady in the business center, as well as an excellent team of professionals at the bell desk. The only hiccup that I experienced was that although on one short trip to Shanghai, the hotel limo which I had booked failed to meet me. They did make up for that by giving me a free limo to the airport when I left to go back to Hawaii. All in all, the Grand President is a great choice for a comfortable, reasonably priced and friendly BKK hotel. For the record, the President Solitaire is also a great choice once they address the tech issues. The GM there, Khun Nathalie is an awesome person.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — restaurant
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank vidkid
Good afternoon sir,

Glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Comments like this will definately make us to achieve more in providing services to our valued customer.

Thank you and see you soon at HOME!

London
Reviewed March 12, 2008

I visit Bangkok avery couple of months and usually stay in the sukumvit area. My usual hotel is the Grand Majestic.

I thought I would check out the Grand President on the basis that the rooms were roughly twice as big for slightly less money.

The location is great - a stroll up Soi 11 and pretty close to Nana BTS. Soi 11 is a safe, wide street with a mixture of offices and shops (generally food stores).

The hotel has a number of 'towers', my room was in tower 2. This means checking in to the lobby reception of tower 1 and then walking over to tower 2. This is only 10 meters across the driveway to the hotel and under a covered awning so rain isnt a problem.

Tower 2 has its own lobby area which is nice enough but there isn't much going on there, just sofas for waiting around. There are 2 elevators servicing the tower of around 18-20 floors. This is a bit of a challenge at times. Waiting times for the elevator, particularly coming down can be excruciating. This is really compounded by there apparently being no staff elevator.

In the 3 days I stayed I shared an elevator with another customer twice, the rest of the time was with staff constantly stopping to get in and out. This was presumably the reason for the extended waiting times.

The room itself was OK but pretty uninspiring - not quite what I had imagined. Dark woods, fairly bland colours etc. It was a good surprise and the fixtures/fittings of the kitchen area were all of a good standard.

On hitch I did notice was a complete lack of towels. 2 days in a row I had to call down to request them be sent to the room. I complained to the management that this is pretty unacceptable, that towels are a basic of any hotel room but he blamed an issue they have with their suppliers.

To me this is an essential item and if I had been informed of the difficulties they were having at check in, it may not have been an issue. As it was I found it really annoying to find out when I was dripping wet from a shower and scrabbling about looking to dry off !

The other fly in the ointment was the wake up call which, by their own admission, they forgot about ! They finally called 1 hour after the alloted time - not good with a flight connection. luckly I had woken up 10 mins beofre and managed to race around to get packed.

The manager did compensate to some extent by providing a courtesy hotel car to race me to the airport. this was a good and a bad thing. The driver made it to the airport in 21 mins door to door but that involved 180kmh driving across all lanes of the motorway. I made my plane with literally 2 mins to spare so I guess I should be happy I made it, even if my blood pressure was through the roof !

In terms of value for money and location, the hotel is great - a firm 4 star property. If it wasn't for the towels and the wake up call I would only really have the lifts to complain about which I guess isn't such a big thing. On the flip side I guess there is really nothing out of the ordinary about the property that makes me want to go back again.

• Liked — location, price, free internet in the room
  • Disliked — long long waits for the lift, having to request towels !
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank LondonWebbo
GMGP, Resident Manager at Grand President, responded to this review, March 12, 2008
Good morning sir,

Thank you for your positive and honest review.I have discussed the review with my team and on behalf of the management I would like to apologize for not meeting your standard.

We have enough par stock of bath towels,unfortunate that the order taker did not check with her supervisior.The lift issue is something that we are looking seriously and there are sometime peak hours where staffs travel to various floor to service guest rooms.

Wake call- I have talked to respective department on the issue and again I sincerely would like to apaologize for the matter.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Malaysia
Reviewed March 9, 2008

First of all, I would like to thank Leo from the Grand President for being helpful and patient towards my request to change from Standard Room to Executive suite.

I'd read the Grand President good reviews and decided to book a Standard room for 1 night stay. Before the Grand President, I had stayed at Holiday Inn Bangkok for 3 nights. So I can tell you that there is a big difference between these 2 hotels. But I must say that it's unfair if I compare the Grand President with Holiday Inn cos the price is doubled at Holiday Inn.

Anyway, we checked-in to the STANDARD ROOM and were glad that Leo came to assist us as the receptionist's English is very bad. We were brought to Tower 3 which is opposite the hotel main road and have to go through tiny small lanes to the Tower 3. As only me and my sister stay, I'm afraid that the small lane is dangerous for us 2 girls.

All the Tower's lobby was very nice and comfortable. But we did not expect the Standard room to be this bad. As soon as I entered the Standard room apartment, I can smell the stale furniture & cigarettes smoke smell. And the floor was cold & sticky as it's not carpeted.

The bed's firmness was fine but when I sit on it, I felt uncomfortable. Maybe the bed sheets are a bit old. The 2 single beds were placed so near to each other that there is only a small space enough for your 2 legs. And when you pick up the phone to speak, you can smell the stale breath from the phone receiver. I think they did not bother to clean the phones. The toilet also a bit old.

AFTER all the horrors of the Standard Room, I've decided to change to Executive Suite for an extra THB300.

The Executive Suite was average, at least much better than the standard room and it's at Tower 1 directly above the reception counter which is more lively. The room is very spacious and carpeted at the living area. But it still have some smell of old furniture & cigarettes. The Bed, pillows & toilet are ok and clean. But the bathtub are stained and the hot water is faulty. Sometimes the water is very hot and sometimes the water very cold. I have to keep adjusting the water throughout my shower.

The free buffet breakfast food was good but the staff was not friendly. Cos my sister told me that when I checked in, my friends (4 girls) waited for me at the coffee house at Tower 1. They ordered 1 set of sandwiched (that was about after lunch) and shared among themselves. The waitress looked at us from head to toe and toe to head again giving us some stare meaning we are poor or some similar meaning. We think that it is impolite to give these stares.

Overall, I give only 2 stars for the Grand President mainly because Leo gave a good & friendly service. If you really must stay here, stay the suites as they are better.

• Liked — Good food at reasonable price, nice lobby
  • Disliked — Rooms & toilets might need some renovation
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank zoukee888
Good morning sir,

Thank you for your positive review, I have read and on behalf of the management I would like to apologize for not meeting your requirement and standard.

We are in the midst of conducting English training for the front line staff. I have also brief the restaurant satff about their body language which you mention in your review.

I am also looking at the furniture and planning the refurbishment earlier that what we have schedule.

Thank you and have a nice day.