“Not as good as I expected!”
Review of Grand President

Grand President
Ranked #707 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
Malaysia
“Not as good as I expected!”
Reviewed March 9, 2008

First of all, I would like to thank Leo from the Grand President for being helpful and patient towards my request to change from Standard Room to Executive suite.

I'd read the Grand President good reviews and decided to book a Standard room for 1 night stay. Before the Grand President, I had stayed at Holiday Inn Bangkok for 3 nights. So I can tell you that there is a big difference between these 2 hotels. But I must say that it's unfair if I compare the Grand President with Holiday Inn cos the price is doubled at Holiday Inn.

Anyway, we checked-in to the STANDARD ROOM and were glad that Leo came to assist us as the receptionist's English is very bad. We were brought to Tower 3 which is opposite the hotel main road and have to go through tiny small lanes to the Tower 3. As only me and my sister stay, I'm afraid that the small lane is dangerous for us 2 girls.

All the Tower's lobby was very nice and comfortable. But we did not expect the Standard room to be this bad. As soon as I entered the Standard room apartment, I can smell the stale furniture & cigarettes smoke smell. And the floor was cold & sticky as it's not carpeted.

The bed's firmness was fine but when I sit on it, I felt uncomfortable. Maybe the bed sheets are a bit old. The 2 single beds were placed so near to each other that there is only a small space enough for your 2 legs. And when you pick up the phone to speak, you can smell the stale breath from the phone receiver. I think they did not bother to clean the phones. The toilet also a bit old.

AFTER all the horrors of the Standard Room, I've decided to change to Executive Suite for an extra THB300.

The Executive Suite was average, at least much better than the standard room and it's at Tower 1 directly above the reception counter which is more lively. The room is very spacious and carpeted at the living area. But it still have some smell of old furniture & cigarettes. The Bed, pillows & toilet are ok and clean. But the bathtub are stained and the hot water is faulty. Sometimes the water is very hot and sometimes the water very cold. I have to keep adjusting the water throughout my shower.

The free buffet breakfast food was good but the staff was not friendly. Cos my sister told me that when I checked in, my friends (4 girls) waited for me at the coffee house at Tower 1. They ordered 1 set of sandwiched (that was about after lunch) and shared among themselves. The waitress looked at us from head to toe and toe to head again giving us some stare meaning we are poor or some similar meaning. We think that it is impolite to give these stares.

Overall, I give only 2 stars for the Grand President mainly because Leo gave a good & friendly service. If you really must stay here, stay the suites as they are better.

• Liked — Good food at reasonable price, nice lobby
  • Disliked — Rooms & toilets might need some renovation
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank zoukee888
GMGP, Resident Manager at Grand President, responded to this review, March 12, 2008
Good morning sir,

Thank you for your positive review, I have read and on behalf of the management I would like to apologize for not meeting your requirement and standard.

We are in the midst of conducting English training for the front line staff. I have also brief the restaurant satff about their body language which you mention in your review.

I am also looking at the furniture and planning the refurbishment earlier that what we have schedule.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed March 5, 2008

I would not recommend this hotel. It needs to be graded lower and cost less to stay.
I have stayed in cheaper hotels in bangkok and they were far superior.
Beware especially if thrown over to tower 3. And invest in a pair of ear plugs!

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Just about everything for the price I paid
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank jopeep
Good morning sir,

Thank you for your review, I would like to say sorry on behalf of the management for not meeting your standard and critiriea(room).

Rest assured that I am looking at the review seriously with my team. We will look and improved what is necessary base on your comments.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Affendy B Ismail

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

south carolina
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Let me give a "thank you" to the business center manager who took care of all my time consuming flight changes that enabled me to more thourghly enjoy my vacation in Bankgok. This was my first experience at a Grand President Hotel and I would not hesitate to book into one of their rooms in the future. The location on Sukhumvit Soi 11 was superb. The rooms were to the point spotless and the bed was extremely comfortable. All staff at the hotel appeared friendly and accomadating. I would consider this hotel an upper tier middle range hotel. Based on that rating I would give this hotel excellent value marks for the price. Next year I plan on using the same hotel when flying into Bangkok.

• Liked — security and service
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank jbech
GMGP, Resident Manager, Affendy B Ismail at Grand President, responded to this review, March 9, 2008
Good morning sir,

Thank you for your positive comments, happy to hear that the Business Center team assist you in all your related issues.Please let us know your next visit, maybe we could put you back in the same room.I have passed your review to our team.

Taipei
Reviewed February 28, 2008

Very good service!!!

I stayed in Grand President for 5 nights. Before that, I read the reviews here and decided to book this hotel. When staying there, actually, I am a little surprised at the old decorating. Besides, the light near the mirror in the bathroom can't work and it is noisy outside. The shower nozzle can not work. I stayed in room 414. Next day, I asked to change to another room politely. I am surprised that, the staff was very nice and kind to me and changed our room to 404.

But, room 404 is a double room, not a twin room. When making reservation there, I asked to have a twin room. I thought they will give me another twin room. But, of course, I was very embarrasing to ask to change to anohter twin room. After 2 nights, I really wanted to change to a twin room. Then, I asked the staff and they kindly willing to change our room again! But, in order to lower down our trouble to pack our luggage, they just added a new bed in our room for free!!!!!!

What a great service to customers!!! I really want to say "THANK YOU VERY MUCH" to these staff. Grand President's service is really good. I have been Thailand for 3 times but I had never experienced such a wonderful service!!!

And, the location for the hotel is really good! Near the NANA station. Oh, the breakfast is also very good.

• Liked — Service from staff
  • Disliked — Decoration in room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kai-Chih
Good morning sir,

Thank you for your positive comments, happy to hear that the team were helpful during your recent stay.I have passed your review to our team.

Vancouver , BC
Reviewed February 18, 2008

I wanted to write and thank the Grand President Staff and the Hotel for an excellent travel experience and stay !! From the Front Office staff, the door staff to the cleaning ladies the service was not only terrific but friendly and helpful as well . Nothing less than first class for half of what one pay for in Bangkok currently . I have been down on business to BKK several times in the last 3 years and have stayed in similar hotels in the area ( from Soi 2 up to 11 ) and will return the GRAND PRESIDENT every time . Given it's the not newest property the upkeep and presentation in the lobby as well as the fitness centre and pool is great. The breakfast buffet is a treat I enjoyed every morning without a miss . It's very clean , safe and in the heart of all of what makes BKK so exciting and all within a 10 minute walk to heart of the city . I would recommend to anyone traveling to book with the G.P. and inquire about Royal Suites that have all been newly renovated and provide lots of room as as well as comfort !! I will stay at Grand President yet again . Thanks Mark ( Canada )

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank TravelVancouver72
Good morning sir,

Thank you for your positive comments, I have passed your review to our team and all of us glad that you had enjoyed your stay.

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed February 12, 2008

This hotel is the place to stay in Bangkok the Grand President Executive Serviced Apartment is in a great location for getting around Bangkok. The train station is just a 100 meter walk and fast way to get round the city.

The hotel is located at the center of the city's most happening places The Sukhumvit Road. This area is dedicated to SPA and massage with a variety of outlets attracting you with exotic pampering options. There are many other shops on the same street - from electronics to tailor made clothing, everything is in abundance in the whole area. You can never have a boring moment in this place.

The hotel itself was excellent and the service was first-class. The check-in was smooth and quick.

I found this hotel extremely well run and the interior was well
presented in all aspects. The staffs were extremely friendly and willing to help. My room was spotless and well maintained.

The food is also excellent, the breakfasts are simply fantastic.

I, honestly, do not have a bad word to say about this hotel.

I will surely recommend this hotel for business as well as family vacation in Bangkok.

Mr Singh
Kuala Lumpur

• Liked — The hotel is execellent and in a great location
  • Disliked — Honestly, I don't have a bad word to say about this hotel
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Milletell
Good morning sir,

Thank you for your review in Tripadvisor,it was a very positive review and my team are more then happy that you had enjoyed your stay here.

I will past all your positive comments to our staffs,comment like this that make us to achieve more in the future.

Thank you again and have a nice day.

msia
Reviewed February 12, 2008

This is the first time I stayed in sukumvit area and I find the location exciting and happening. The staff is extremely courteous and helpful; from the the conceige to the chambermaids. Rooms are well appointed with very tasteful furnishings. However, the lifts, only 2 of them and slow, makes waiting a bit longer. The resident Manager is absolutely on top of things, he ensured the guest safety is met with careful arranegment on transfers to recommending me a reliable tailor shop. Keep it up.

The service overall is above my expectation. Thanks and see u again

• Liked — excellent staff & management
  • Disliked — the lifts
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank frankjohor
GMGP, Resident Manager at Grand President, responded to this review, February 21, 2008
Good morning Frank,

Thank you for your positive review,glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Will look into your comment about the lift.

Let us know when is your next visit to HOME!!!