“Nice room but watch out for the descriptions.”

The Royal River Hotel
Ranked #534 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Bozeman, Montana
“Nice room but watch out for the descriptions.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

We rented a "deluxe, river view" room for three adults. We were told at the front desk that 'river view' did not mean we would see the river (description on Agoda said partial view). You have to book a River Front room to actually see the river. Other than that, we had a huge room...too big to see the little TV in bed. I got this on a flash deal so it was a good value. We didn't use the restaurants...they seemed set up for large tour groups.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GoGoGal2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Personally I prefer The Royal River to the Hilton. I stayed for 10 days in Royal Suite for a fraction of what it would have cost me in the Hilton after reading some of the reviews I was a bit apprehensive. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed staying at The Royal River. Ok yes, it could do with a refurbish and would benefit from free internet. It would be expensive and a problem if you needed to be on the internet 24 7 . But this was not a priority for me. The Chinese tourist are noisy but the hotel separated them and they eat breakfast separately, so I was not disturbed. I had 2 televisions in my room but only one English Chanel so if TV is your priority bear this in mind. On the whole I thought this Hotel was charming, unpretentious and friendly. An Ideal place to explore from, pay for the best room you can afford and face the River is a must.

I was traveling on my own and staying for 10 nights In the Royal suite the room was clean well furnished and huge I found the staff very helpful and friendly and I was not bothered or harassed outside of the hotel (which I was when I previously stayed at the Hilton) Like all Hotels avoid the costly trips on offer the hotel lobby, walk 10 minuets to the shuttle boat stop called N 16 ( North 16 ) and for 15 baht get dropped off at most of the main attractions , or get a taxi. A great evening place to visit is Asiatque a riverside combination of modern shopping mail, night bazaar and food. Taxis were cheap and paid 65 baht to go to Health Land one evening a modern clean Spa and massage and had the best ever foot reflexology for one hour and cost 480 Baht about 5.00 the best money I have ever spent. I enjoyed the food ( I am vegetarian ) which was no problem and there are plenty of little shops around to buy food which I did and no bad tummy. ( again something I suffered with at the Hilton) I will definitely be coming back to the Royal River Bangkok.

Room Tip: River views are the best sit on the balcony and watch the world go by. I loved the Royal Suite which...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank 921777jane
dunedin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We have stayed here on and off for the last 20 years however our recent vist will be our last. We booked a delux river front room with balconybut on arrival were shown to a room at the side of the building with no balcony. The wifi is very expensive considering it is free in most hotels these days. On checkout we noticed a miscellaneous charge of 100 bht when we questioned it we were advised it was to cover the cost of a facecloth that we had got dirty, the staff were not interested in our complaint and knew we were in a hurry to get to the airport so just continued to insist it be paid. The staff used to be very helpful and friendly but now only seem to be interested in catering to large tour groups and conventions

Room Tip: Book a delux riverfront for a great view of the river
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank parsley99
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

cheats liars mouldy bathroom no free wifi no free breakfast even though it was suppose to be part of the price rude arrogant staff , booked a deluxe room was small mould in bathroom , they give you a kettle but no coffee tea making stuff, when asked to see manager was just rudely told No ,

Room Tip: dont go here book a better cheaper place
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank goggles3153

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We booked a suite here and we were not disappointed, it was huge, with 2 balconies. There is a bit of a language difficulty but not to bad. Breakfast was basic but it had all you need. Also there are no restruants close by as the property is well away from the tourist traps, we were happy to eat hawker food with no stomach trouble. The hotel has a restruant but you don't always want their food. We never tired of sitting on our balcony and watching the world pass by. One main gripe is the tv reception is very poor,mlocal channels were ok but international channels were very fuzzy and poor quality. We also used the public transport to get around. I would definitely stay there again. Ask for a river view room and just sit and relax.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room, there are other rooms some are very small.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

This hotel was wrongly advertised as a 4 star hotel on trivago, it is actually a 3 star but I would say it doesn't even deserve that.
The staff is very unwelcoming and mostly miserable; giggling in a mocking way between themselves in front of customers.
We booked the value twin rom which actually ended up being a room without windows, should have read the small print ! (Guess we never thought a room without windows would be seen as common value option elsewhere than in a cheapy hostel.)
The beds were hard as wood and sheets and towels have minor stains; the housekeepers pester you and knock on the door at around 8 am; often just walk in there, what more could be said !
Also lost a pair of vision glasses in the room that I'll never see again, can't be bothered dealing with the oh so helpful staff ever again.
The only positive being that the swimming pool is actually quite nice.
Needless to say we now check more carefully all the reviews before booking a hotel.

Avoid at all cost.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lnj81
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on several occasions over a number of weeks primarily because it is close to the Yanhee Hospital (which I can't recommend highly enough) and saw the hotel at its best and worst in that time.
If you are looking for somewhere tranquil and conveniently located, this is definitely not the right hotel for you. The location is on the opposite side of the river to key attractions, off the beaten track, on some back streets with nothing in close walking distance, and for that matter, close taxi ride distance. There is currently no train connection to that bank of the river, it is under construction and will be completed in a few years. Bangkok peak traffic means getting a taxi is hard generally, but from the Royal River, you can experience waits of up to 60 minutes before they can even flag a cab. Travelling back to your hotel at night will also Be a challenge as not all drivers want to head in that direction. If time is critical, consider forking out a little more for something more central. You'll easily save it in the cab fares for from Royal River to anywhere else.

The hotel caters very well for bus tours, primarily from China. These tours arrive in a swarm of noise, excited yelling and chaos each day. There is a quite spell from 11am-2pm, when the staff recover and the rest of the quests enjoy the river views. Then the noise continues in the evening when the tours return for the night and the Karaoke and more excited yelling up and down the corridors continues (think Spring Break or college dormitory -but with adults and you are probably close to visualising the scene).
The behaviour of some of the tour guests bordered on rude at times, but seems to be quietly tolerated by the hotel. As a paying guest I was highly annoyed at being woken on several occasions by tour guests loudly calling each other up and down the halls at 5am, slamming doors, and mistakenly knocking on my door at all hours looking for their tour buddies.

The rooms are clean and well laid out. I stayed in a number of them over my stay. The rooms overlooking the river have balconies and are definitely more impressive than the back/side rooms, which overlook the rusted tin roves of the surrounding back streets. The river-side rooms can have quite a lot of noise from the river traffic. The back rooms tended to have poor wifi reception, but the hotel shifted me when I pointed out I couldn't use the service I'd paid 350 bht a day for.
The bed sheets had some signs of ware, with small holes in some of them, the coat hangers in all rooms were in need of replacement and some of the rooms had wiring hanging out of the wall.
The buffet breakfast was ok, with a range of continental and asian options on offer.
The hotel has a wonderful tour service with a very good limo driver. I did several tours, including a day trip to Ayutthya - the ancient capital. Very friendly and reliable service. He also helped me with my shopping by researching places to get some statues I was after at wholesale prices direct from the factory.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Kmdlqn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangkok
Bangkholaem
Riva Surya Bangkok
Riva Surya Bangkok
#23 of 851 in Bangkok
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,645 reviews

Been to The Royal River Hotel? Share your experiences!