“worst hotel service i've ever seen”

The Royal River Hotel
Ranked #536 of 883 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed April 15, 2013

So this hostel is not clean at all, with old furnitures / floors with dirty sheets / walls / Bathroom..
We left our suitcases locked (with a cheap lock) in our room for 1 day, and when we came back it was opened!!
the hostel situation is not ideal neither, you'll need to take boat or taxi to go to the city center.
We went to this hostel with a tour guide. Some people were leaving at 7am while we were leaving at 10am due to different programs. The hostel staff first woke us up at 5:40am, another time at 6.30 and 8 am... When we tried to tell them we were staying until 10am they were already long gone in the way.

I'm pretty sure you can get way much more nice place to stay in bangkok for the same price.

Room Tip: don't go to this hostel you deserve better ;)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed at Royal River a few months ago. Very disappointed in the food at the rest. downstairs. The absolute worse Thai food in Thailand, and wait staff never asked why we didn't eat it or if they could do something. The people working at the desk said they could assist in English, but this was definitely not the case. Had to repeat needs several times and still given wrong information. Suppose to be a place for interns in the hospitality industry, but obviously is not do them justice.
On the bright side, there is a couple of small cafes down the street and a 7-11 which has just about everything. Find a place across the river to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We recently stayed a whole week at Royal River Hotel. Impeccably clean, very courteous staff and good food. We stayed at the Royal Suite which had a beautiful view of the beautiful Chao Phraya river flowing through Bangkok. Both the day and night views from our suite were absolutely breathtaking.

Room Tip: River facing rooms are the best choice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sarasrajmani
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

LOCATION: Many have complained about d location, or d age of d hotel. Dont expect 5* when U R paying 3* prices.

Royal River is a little off d beaten track, about 30minutes by taxi from Paragon.

Thats fine with me, coz taxi fare is usually only baht100 n traffic isnt usually that bad (after 10am n before 4pm).

True, Royal River Hotel has seen better days. Furniture is almost "antique" but well maintained. It is still great value for money.

HOTEL/ROOM: Just be prepared for "no-smile, no-charm" service. Once U accept this isnt d Shangri-La, coz U didnt pay for that, then this hotel shud surpass reasonable expectations.

Just stay away from d female Front Office manager in black jacket at Reception (reminded me of Tommy Lee Jones in M.I.B), who glares n barks at everyone n never smiles. I saw her being reli stroppy with a French guest who jus wanted help to load his internet credit. She would fit right in in China, but in Bangkok shes special! ;-) Avoid like d plague!

Generally, hotel is nice & quiet after 9am n before 6pm, when d China & French tour groups R out. Deserted, n "far from d maddening crowd" inbetween those hours. Put yr feet up n watch d world sail on by from yr balcony. Take a break from d shopping & gorging!

The only room worth staying in here is the renovated Deluxe Balcony view room; its well worth paying d diff vs Superior room price.

I stayed@Marriott (now Anantara) B4 for 3X d price n d river view there was nowhere nearly as interesting. Here, U have unobstructed views, right beside d river.

In Superior room, U will only have a view of the carpark. So, dont stay here if U dont care for d river & bridge views - images of Bangkok life, of vehicles, ferries, barges n people passing by. Like performers in a puppet show.

Since its an older hotel, Deluxe rooms are huge. Lots of space. Firm beds, reli good for my bad back. Double double wardrobes, bigger than d walkin wardrobe in d suite of my previous hotel.

Shower is good, strong water pressure n always hot on demand. Only minor minus with bathroom is d poor design of glass shower panel - fixed in d middle - big gap in front means water splashes onto bathroom floor -always wet & slippery after shower.

SERVICE:
"Smile-less, Greeting-less" hotel - no one smiles or greets U here - but works for me. As long as U recognise good service is rare here - n unnecesary really - U will be fine. Room cleaned every day when I get back. Everything works fine. Ideal for intrepid travellers.

FOOD: I made a big mistake of having dinner in coffeehouse. Pad-thai was expensive n really bad. Coffeehouse only good for the breakfast (served only til 10am SHARP; be on time or be hungry). Breakfast is a limited but competent mix of Thai & Continental.

TIP#1: Do try d riverside restaurant just beside d hotel (dRiver) - stylish, decent Thai seafood, reasonable prices.

Also, d street food (700m walk, on d other side of d main road, in front of d other 7-11). Pad Thai. Pork Satay. MUST TRY d garlic fried chicken. Best in Bangkok!

TIP#2: MUST GET d DLX Balcony rooms on 9th floor, well renovated - so quiet n much better than other rooms from my previous visits.

TIP#3: No WiFi, no worries. Get a TRUE SIM n surf for only baht49 a day, unlimited.

TIP#4: Sometimes, its hard to get a taxi from d hotel entrance. Just take a short walk out to d main road, 400meters. Good exercise anyway, after all that good food in Thailand! LOL!

TIP#5: All U need can actually be found at Central Pinklao mall, 10 mins away by taxi. Very good Thai massage near there too at HealthLand.

CONCLUSION:
Who cares about d service, or lack thereof?
Royal River is my own little piece of Bangkok urban paradise by the river.
I will be back, for the river views, the peace & quiet, the large well-maintained rooms. N d garlic fried chicken, a stones throw away!

• Stayed: January 2013
6  Thank rollingstone66
Reviewed February 2, 2013

It is nice experience , hotel is good , it is on the river nice view ,good food breakfast,
but hotel provide less information regarding toursim. Pool side is not good but still good value for money, easy approach to boat taxi and nice resturant nearby

Room Tip: try tobook the room with balcony riverside
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have been staying at the Royal River Hotel in Bangkok for nearly 20 years. Since I moved to Thailand and, more recently, I have stayed at RRH on average for 1-2 weeks each month for many months. I have recommended the hotel to countless friends and family, many of whom have actually stayed there.
I am well known to all of the staff and Management at the hotel and have, until recently, enjoyed good relations with the staff there.
However, recently, I asked a senior staff member at reception (k Sirirat) how much extra it would cost me to upgrade from the booked Deluxe Riverfront Room to the Royal River Suite. She consulted with a colleague in the back office and told me that it would cost an extra 1,000 baht per night. OK. Fine and dandy so far.
When I made my most recent booking, I specified in the special requirements field that I would wish to upgrade at the hotel for 1,000 baht per night for as many of the four booked nights as possible. This gave the hotel fair warning that I was quite happy to pay the additional 1,000 baht per night that had recently been quoted by k Sirirat.
As it turned out, I could only have the suite for me and my new girlfriend for three of the four nights.
On the evening of our last night, the hotel staff contacted me and said that I would have to pay 1,400 baht extra. At this news, I advised that k Sirirat had told me that the extra cost would be 1,000 baht per night and I also pointed out that when I made the most recent booking, I had stated that I would pay the extra difference in cost (1,000 baht) between the deluxe riverfront room (2,100 baht) and the suite (3,100 baht) per night.
Such matters are seen very simplistically by Thai people. To them the difference in cost on booking.com between the two is 1,400 baht and that is the end of the matter. They are quite incapable of understanding that I made the booking with the proviso of paying 1,000 baht extra (as quoted by k Sirirat) or of seeing that I tried to make the additional charge clear when I made the booking.
Of course I made the point that they should not be doing this kind of stupid thing to a long time and frequent patron but again, any such pleas fall on deaf ears and the usual vacant Thai expression.
I have disputed the additional 400 baht per night for three nights with American Express and it appears very likely that they will find in my favour and disallow the hotel the extortionate 1,200 baht additional charge.
Of course 1,200 baht is not a lot of money to a falang like myself but there is a principle here that Thai people simply appear incapable of understanding.
By all means, if you still want to after reading this, then stay at RRH but DO NOT expect cooperation or any degree of understanding from the pathetic staff there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jmvscotland
Reviewed November 22, 2012

As other reviews here will attest the Royal River Hotel has seen better days, and its shift from die-hard business travelers to tour groups of ever-loud and ever-arrogant Chinese, German and French tourists has made the atmosphere less palatable then in years past. That said, it is still an excellent business hotel with great service from wonderful bellhops, solid front desk staff, good middle management and excellent maids who are all attentive to any special requests. I have used over two dozen business hotels in BKK, and the Royal River comes in at about a quarter the average price of the others. Internet is expensive, but good, even in the room...just arrange a card each day to be left with your key and its a no-brianer. The restaurant is a solid medium-nice place with a reasonable menu, river views and solid evening entertainment. Breakfasts are wonderful! Their buffets are solid too. The bell-staff, notably Tony, who has been helping me for twelve years now, is outstanding. Car parking is fine, Taxi service is fine. Walks in the immediate neighborhood are fun (fabulous street food!) and just across the bridge (a reasonable walk even) is the lovely Dusit neighborhood and fun back-residential streets to Little Vietnam if you want. The hoteol is quiet when you need sleep, efficient when you need help, generous when your wallet has been stolen (they comped my room a few days while I waited for credit cards). the lauhndry service is outstanding and inexpensive, the local Massage place is first rate Traditional Thai Massage (see Anne). It is near a picturesque neighborhood temple. The exercise and pool areas are fine, not remarkable.

During the 2011 floods, the whole place came together and made it almost fun to be stuck there, with alternative dining, parties, contests, etc. It is a good no-nonsense business hotel for those who don't want to spend unnecessarily and for those who value quiet service over useless glitz.

Room Tip: tru to get a South facing riverview room above the eighth floor, for an excellent view of the Rama B...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business