“Poor location, dingy and poor value”

The Royal River Hotel
Ranked #525 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The room was old and not well maintained. We were hassled to get taxi's from the hotel and there was a level of anger expressed after we wanted a taxi with seat belts in the back. We (two women) we woken up two mornings in a row by someone entering our room. There was no explanation and when we contacted the front desk we cild not make our self understood.

On the positive side, the hotel's restaurant was open 24 hours, which was helpful since there is not much around the hotel (except for Lotus Tesco). Breakfast which was included with the room was reasonable. A five star hotel in the middle of Bangkok is less than twice the price and it took 40 minutes to get in.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed here for a night and it was very functional, room was large and pleasant enough, the room service was ok although they don't really know how to do cocktails, 2 mistakes out of 2 cocktails, and for the price you pay they should.
There isn't really much around in the near area, we walked about for a good while before getting a taxi to somewhere a bit more interesting for the evening. It had a feel of a big business conference hotel as appose to a traveling hotel, the place just seemed to lack a bit of character.
The breakfast was nice enough but even when i asked for no meat with my cooked food i got sausage and bacon (to my partner bacon filled delight)

for a similar price we could have found somewhere more interesting i think.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Not a bad hotel, I stayed here after having surgery at Yahnee hospital, I didn't leave the room for the whole stay except to go downstairs for breakfast, overall under the circumstances it suited my needs, the room has a television, bath and shower and 24 hour room service, pool is on level 3. Nice view overlooking the river.the staff don't speak English all that well but besides this I am happy with the hotel, the decor is outdated it reminded me of a American cruise ship. With wooden trimmings everywhere. Good way to get out of the city, and amongst the locals.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed at the hotel because of an event I attended so for that location was perfect. Old fashion hotel with big rooms and balconies with river view but lack of taste, upgrading the place is inevitable. If not for the event I would not stay there, far from everything and walking around brings nothing in return. The hotel seams to cater for group tours who have there itinerary but individuals who might have some nice place to have a good time will find it hard to do so.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms facing the river!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2012

i was looking for hotel in Bangkok for our annual holiday when i saw this hotel ,we had stayed here before but only for a few days and had forgotten all about it ..how could we !!! its a lovely hotel, slightly older style, but every thing spotless ,beautiful big reception area,lovely welcome and staff friendly and helpful..our room ,a delux ,reasonibly priced,was huge even with small couch and table beautiful bathroom, shower /bath.and a big balcony with panoramic views of the river, even more stunning at night time with all the lights etc.a nice breakfast area,and lovely little restaurant outside alongside the river...one down side is its a bit far away from everything,but they do run their own shuttle boat and lets face it nothing is far away in Bangkok with taxis, tuk tuks a plenty ,and MRT..so. our problem solve this holday.....

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2012

hotel is ok but in on wrong side of river to all the attractions. However you can get a water taxi close by that runs up and down the river and will deposit you near the sites.
Reception staff were somewhat unfriendly. The room was massive, had a large balcony which over-looked the river. In need of some decoration but lovely to sit on balcony and watch the boats go by and traffic/people on the bridge.
Breakfast was good with spread of European and Asian foods. Generally the staff were friendly and helpful. Lot of tour buses and tour groups use the hotel.

There was evidence of some renovation going on _ painting the outside of the building.

No real problems staying here but another time would stay in a more central area on the other side of the river.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Would I stay at the Royal River Hotel again
--------------------- HELL NO -----------------
Right from the start my wife and I hade problems.
I arranged air port pick up date and time confirmed
by email arrive at air port no car ring hotel transferred
4 or 5 times had to call back twice end result I got a taxi
after I found one that would take me there and that took
some doing most of the taxi drivers don't know where the hotel is or don't won't to go there.
We stayed at the Royal River in January 2012 for six nights five to many
I prepaid for the Royal Suite ( Nothing Royal about it its just a big room and a big waste of money ) so we had to stay as refund is not in there vocabulary.

1. lack of lobby service.
2. The breakfast buffet is very poor.
3. Bad service all round.
4. cockroaches and lots of mosquitoes in the evening.
5. most taxi drivers don't know where the hotel is.
6. It appears to be a bus in bus out Hotel with very low standards.
7. The towels smelt like they had been used to dry a dog and they whare changed every day and they all smelt the same we ended up getting owe own.

Avoid doing business with the ling little so-so Nid at the front steps of the hotel.
if you need a Tour, limousine, Boat trip avoid whatever he has to offer you will regret it if you fall for his BS. He arranged a boat trip for us I thought it wood be nice to hire a river boat and spend sum time looking around by boat we payed for a one and one half hour trip ten minutes it to the trip the boat turned into a small gated tributary we waited for approximately 20 minutes for the gates to be opened only to find out that they ware not working we then proceeded to the Royal barges we stayed for approximately 30 minutes we then got back in the boat at witch time the boat operator informed me that one and an a half hours was not long enough for a good trip and I would need to pay a feather 1200 baht per hour if we wonted to go on I sed no and it took him 10 minutes to get us back to the Royal River Hotel.

Finely the last day of owe stay we got up at about 7am only to find we had no power thankfully I had emptied the electronic safe the night before and packed owe bags. upon living It appeared that the rest of the Hotel had power I don't no or care we where out of there. We where in Thailand this time for six weeks and stayed at 3 other hotels all outstanding for service and the friendliness of there staff.
(( un like the Royal River Hotel ))

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple