“Nothing special.”

Ranked #73 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Ireland
“Nothing special.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed in Westin Bangkok in late August for four nights.
The whole access to rooms where you have to take two elevators is a pain and poorly structured.
We ate in the buffet one evening and it was nice, but nothing special. Far better available across the road at the Sheraton.
Quite a nice pool area but poor access to the Spa.
Would be highly unlikely to stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Celticjo58
WestinBangkok, General Manager at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share, although I am sorry that you found your stay nothing special. We are always striving to achieve the best possible experience for our guests. We receive numerous feedback that the split elevators are great for added security, but apologise you found this a hassle whilst you were with us. We are aware that some people have preference for other brands in Starwood, but if the situation does arise to welcome you back - we'd be delighted to do so.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Maui, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Westin Grande Sukumvit is a former Sheraton property located in a popular location on Sukumvit, Soi19. The fact that it is right next to dazzling Terminal 21 Shopping Plaza is a real plus. Shopping here is in no way like MBK.

Even during the rainy season, you can easily cross the street or walk the covered skyway and be there dry as a bone.

It's location makes it convenient to both the Sky Train and BTS system. Both of which are easily learned and a great way to seek out the secrets of the city without taking a taxi. For the adventurous, you may want the added thrill of taking a mototaxi...cheap thrills and convenient.

While you enter the hotel from the ground floor, the hotel's lobby is on the seventh floor. You will be greeted to unexpected cordiality especially if you have never been to Thailand before. For Starwood members, you will have access to the upper floors with a non smoking preference and for an extra fee have access to their Executive Lounge. I would opt for this choice as you will have a quiet hideaway in the crows nest, have access to all the English papers while sipping a beverage and enjoying a light and tranquil tea time.

Your breakfast plan includes a full course on the seventh floor, but if you prefer intimate and opted for the Executive Lounge, you can enjoy a leisure breakfast with a bird's eye view.

A plus is that if you have a late red eye flight even with a late checkout, you can store your bags for free, then headup to the lounge and be in air conditioned comfort with all the amenities till your departure.

My only criticism is that the hotel address the carpet issues which I admit may have only been my room. The property is not the youngest thing on the block and that may explain the worn look. I believe my feedback to management will get the attention that it deserves. For as I was leaving, they were shampooing the room next to mine on the 21st floor.

Good luck and enjoy your stay here. The staff will not disappoint you and you will leave Thailand a very spoiled traveler.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Eraldo7411
Many thanks for taking the time to post your recent stay with us. I do appreciate the feedback to us, and also the insights to others about the Hotel and surroundings. It is great to read that the service was outstanding and you were exceptionally well taken care of. I am very pleased too that you took advantage of the Westin Executive Club, whilst you were here - to enjoy a haven perched above the City, along with a chance to unwind. We have a regular cleaning schedule to ensure the best possible experience, expecially carpets. Many thanks again for taking the time to share, and we look forward to seeing you when the opportunity may arise again.

Stay well,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Upon arrival the receptionist offered a nice upgrade to the Executive level which I was very happy with. I asked If with the upgrade I could use the executive lounge and after chatting with her manager 5-10min she came back and said that I could not have access to the lounge. Fair enough! I though to myself, I got an upgrade :) I notice after the chat with the manager she was a bit nervous and typing very fast and stressed some things in the computer.
I also asked for a late check out and she offered me a 2pm c/o (paying) I was willing to pay more to stay longer as I had a late flight, the receptionist said that was not possible unless I paid the whole rate. She handed the keys and I went to the lift.
In the lift is written the SPG floors and the EXECUTIVE floors etc.. and basically she cancelled the upgrade without saying a word to me whatsoever.. not nice I thought... anyway it was late I wanted to sleep.
Following morning in the desk there was leaflet that offered me the possibility of checking out at 9pm!!!!! She never mention anything at all! The manager was aware of my needs to and never helped either...That was quite disappointing really... small things that can make a huge difference when you are half a world away from your home...

Hopefully they will provide better training to the employees as nor manager or receptionist seemed well trained.

The hotel itself is average, average room size but super clean, nice pool and gym facilities.

The maids and concierge were lovely.

Room Tip: Clarify with the receptionist before... or you might get surprises like they offer you an upgrade an...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NMDN82
I appreciate you taking the time to share your stay with us. I am sorry for the confusing story in relation to your accommodation, and I have followed up with the team in an effort to understand the detail you have outlined. It seems that it should not have been so complicated, as we are always wanting experiences to be as positive, as possible. After saying this, I am very pleased you enjoyed the pool, gym, cleanliness of the Hotel, along with the service provided by the room attendants and concierge team. I appreciate the feedback and hope there is an opportunity to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel is really quite shabby. If I wasn't here for business, I would've been miffed at what I was getting for the money I was paying. The carpet was old, the shower was weird, and the room smelled of stale smoke even though it's on a non smoking floor (there is a sign in the room that says you'll be charged $100 if you do decide to smoke, so I guess they are liberal with the term "non-smoking"!). The staff were nice, but they weren't excited about their job. I had a complicated situation at check-in, and the person checking me in was not impressed which put a damper on my first impression.

The only redeeming quality of the room was the duvet - I always appreciate a high quality comforter! As well, you can't really beat that location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank africantraveler1
I appreciate you sharing feedback in relation to your recent stay with us, and I am sorry that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectation. We are actually very strict with our non-smoking policy and have a large number of guest floors dedicated to non-smoking. I have asked the team to ensure they are very thorough, if for any reason this is not adhered to by other guests, in any way. I am disappointed you found the shower weird, but very pleased you enjoyed the Westin Heavenly Bed along with the location of the Hotel. We are very handy to many things in the City and surrounds. If the opportunity arises to travel again from Gambia, do let us know - and we would be delighted to ensure you stay is most comfortable one.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

With out words is this my favorite hotel in Bangkok. Service is the best of all the hotels I stayed in. The service starts when you arrive, everything is taken care of.Lugage at the entrance. Because checki inn on the 7th floor.Front office helpfull and super. The swimmingpool and bar staff is my favorite. She makes the best cocktails. Take care off you like a king. All the fascilities in the hotel are perfect. Staff in the executive lounge always very friendly. I can reccomend this hotel to everybody for a nice and perfect stay. BTS skytrain next to the hotel (10 mtr) Shopping next to the hotel (Robinson) Mc donalds and food next to the hotel.

Room Tip: High floor is good for the nice view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
WestinBangkok, General Manager at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Many thanks for sharing you recent stay with ourselves and others, and also your loyalty to the Hotel over the years! It’s great to read the comments about the Hotel, service and convenience to all things that are located around. I am delighted that you take advantage of the Executive Club and the team looks after you well during your visits. Many thanks again and we look forward to seeing you very soon.

Stay well,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

My first trip to Bangkok I stayed at the Westin because Im a huge SPG fan and I love points, also I was looking for a property to produce a 50 room meeting, for a client. Getting to the property seemed long, I think I could have walked faster, the traffic is CRAZY. Hint if you have dinner reservations at 8:30 pm off property, leave by 6:30 pm, not joking. now once you enter the property you will notice a very clean welcoming environment and greeted as warmly as any luxury resort in the world. From the front desk staff to the ladies and gentlemen that clean the rooms to emptying the ashtrays they are always smiling and bowing a gracious hello!

For this fast and furious trip, 3 nights I hired a DMC to show me around all over and as much as we could see both daylight as well as evening. This native woman showed me how much she loves her country to me and show me the most amazing, interesting and mystifying historical and cultural sites. Don't wear lace up shoes or expensive socks, you may not wear shoes in many attractions. If you would like more information on this DMC let me know, she was GREAT.

Back to the property, The rooms are spacious and well appointed. I was on club level, as I am always, a perk to my career, and they run a very nice club level and club room. The rooms are designed in mind of real people who travel allot and the beds are yummy! The views from the rooms are all city views and the higher the floor the better the view. I will try to attach photos of the view from my suite, a photo of the Giant Buda and 2 of the floating city/market.

Now the spa, I wanted to pack this tiny masseuse lady in my luggage and take her home, what she did to my back, released 15 years of stress! I booked a 90 min treatment and I not only needed it, but felt like a new person and ready to continue my brief trip in Bangkok before heading to Cape Town, South Africa.

The Westin is smack dab in the middle of the business district, close to bars and late night street nights of markets and FOOD!

Do NOT miss the floating city about an hour outside the city. get your camera batteries charged and prepare the see and learn a new culture and towards to end get ready to EAT, EAT, EAT. I will try to attach a few photos of the couple of attraction not to miss, the only photos I have of the property is of meeting rooms, thus the reason for my visit.

Bangkok is a must see depending on the type of travel, the Westin is a lovely property and you will be treated with great respect and warmth. Travel safe, and enjoy. B

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade to club level it's worth every penny if you plan to have meals in private. And al...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to post, along with sharing so much about the City with others, as well as the Hotel experience. It reads like you had a very exciting visit to Bangkok and visited so much of what there is to see and do. Many thanks for also sharing details of the Hotel, services and also the Westin Executive Club. There are many tips with traffic here, and please do let me know personally if you need them, as it can be avoid or alternate efficient options found, if planning done in advance for both single travellers or groups.

Many thanks again for the post.
Charles Jack,
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Located just right next to the local LRT, direct opposite a brand new shopping centre. This Westin hotel is certainly for those who love to travel everywhere in Bangkok.

It is so convenience. Only the road leading to hotel is so much congested that sometime really drive you nuts. Trust me, take LRT is definitely a much better choice.

One thing I don't like about this hotel is definitely the floor "splits". Once you get out of the taxi, welcome by the warmest smile of staff, the first thing you always like to see is the check-in counter. Unfortunately, you won't see it until you take a lift up to 7th floor (if my memory didn't fail me). This is rather cumbersome (sorry, to repeat - this is extremely tedious for guest to move up and down).

Staffs at the check-in counter are rather cold-shoulder (they are probably too busy or not in the mood). SPG member check-in counter only manned by one person, despite platinum member waiting like me, other staffs are not coming over to help. Rather surprised, to a Premium SPG hotel standard like Westin, and also to the land of smile.

Upgraded to a suite as part of the SPG Platinum member promotion benefit. Room is huge, but design a bit odd shape. Located among of the buildings, basically there is no good view out of the window, despite I have been staying quite a high floor, so you keep all your curtain on all the time.

Executive lounge is small, food is just average and limited. But staffs are caring. Especially Ms. Jintawee Junmanee, her caring towards guest's need and attentive to details is the plus point during the stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thank you very much for sharing your experience from your stay back in June 2012. I am really pleased you enjoyed the Hotel, what we have to offer along with the location in Sukhumvit. I have passed the feedback onto Front Office, and I am sorry that you has some challenges, though delighted we upgraded you to a Suite. As we are located in City Centre, sometimes the traffic is unavoidable but I am delighted you took advantage of the other options available at peak times. Do let me know if you are returning, as we would be delighted to welcome you back and ensure you have a great stay.