“"GM Asleep at the Wheel"”

The Westin Grande Sukhumvit
Ranked #65 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
shanghai
“"GM Asleep at the Wheel"”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

With an improved location, due to the recent opening of the massive new Terminal 21 shopping mall on top of Asok BTS station, the Westin should be a sensible choice for business or holiday users.

Bangkok is suffering - after the tsunami, violent elections and recent floods, we made the decision not to cancel our 1 week stay at the Westin Grande Sukhumvit. Right decision - but wrong hotel! This is such a sad, run down place. The General Manager (who I asked the duty manager to call me but never did) clearly is on vacation - somewhere else!

Firstly, in peak holiday season the pool is shut for renovation. I complained, and asked why it ddint state this on their website when I booked online direct to the hotel - the duty manager insisted it had been announced online and I should have seen it.

Secondly, neglect is everywhere - from the ancient copy in the club floor (small) lounge of "guide to Microsoft Office 2000" to the pathetically aging gym with a rusted through scales that look to be over 20 years old............plug sockets hanging off walls in my room, just a sad experience.

Bangkok has many fine hotels that are the same cost (I paid US$120 a night) but who try MUCH harder. But with no one interested in customer complaints, no leadership, no thought to guests at a peak holiday time of Xmas wanting to use the pool and terrace, it's better to try RenIssance, Sofitel, Holiday Inn or Marriott, all less than 10 minutes away.

By the way, as of end December 2011 no sign of any flood damage in central Bangkok, but the newspapers are full of potential terrorist activity in Bangkok on New Years Eve, so stay safe!

Room Tip: Upgrading to a club floor room is pointless - higher level but same type, and no view as city centre
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank souness55
GMTheWestinBangkok, General Manager at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
I am sorry that I was away on vacation during what is our quietest period of the year, prior to Christmas holidays. No time is a good time to take a vacation and it’s disappointing other Senior team members could not assist you. We are surprised to read the heading of this post, but none the less take on board constructively your other relevant comments about your stay. I am sorry that you obviously missed the notification online regarding the swimming pool upgrade, but sadly due to the flooding in outer Bangkok, there was some impact to the timeline as we anticipated to have back mid-December. We were very fortune to have the swimming pool usage of our sister Starwood properties adjacent over that time – Four Points and Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit - which unfortunately too appears you were unable to take advantage. We are delighted to have now unveiled a newly transformed swimming pool along with superb surrounding area at The Westin. As you note, we absolutely realise there are other accommodation options in the City and a very competitive environment, though just a quick note on the referral Hotels to others - I would recommend that travellers check if the all Hotels are actually open and if so, do have an outdoor pool. I am sorry too that you did not see any value in the Westin Executive Club as for the small premium, many guests do enjoy the enhanced amenities of the rooms, personalised check-in and out, breakfast either in the Club or restaurant, evening drinks, complimentary in room internet as well as other miscellaneous benefits. Terminal 21 shopping mall is a great addition to the area of Asoke, and I am glad you enjoyed. Kind regards, Charles Jack, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
UK
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We stayed here originally on our honeymoon in 2001 when it was the Grand Pacific. It was a fantastic hotel then. I'm happy to report that this is still a great place to stay in December 2011 (twice).

The room is everything you would expect from a hotel of this calibre. We had a great view of the city on our second stay. The beds are REALLY comfortable. The service at the hotel is excellent - I particularly liked that they asked us to check we had our mobile phones, wallets and tickets, and that we had cleared out the room safe prior to leaving the building - I would imagine this has saved many guests a lot of hassle.

The hotel breakfast remains the best we have ever had - and we have stayed in quite a few posh hotels in Asia - everything from dim sums, congee, sushi, tabouleh and kimchi to a frozen yogurt teppanyaki station, every type of pastry you can imagine and waffles. Although we had a room only deal, we paid for the breakfast on 2 occasions as it was just that good.

The hotel is located next to Asoke sky train station, so easy to get to from the airport, and also offering easy access to the city's rail-based public transport.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a city view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DonnlaNicGearailt
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Rooms - My room was relatively spacious. White bedding on a comfortable bed provides confidence in cleanliness. I appreciate the seperate bath/shower setup and the bath salts are a nice touch.

Food - The breakfast buffet was relatively standard compared to my other experiences with Thai breakfasts, however food ordered through room service was better quality than I am used to in similar US hotels.

Fitness Center - The fitness center is well provisioned with numerous bikes, eleptical machines, and treadmills. In addition, the center includes several free weight options (e.g. a bench) that you often don't see (perhaps b/c of liability concerns). The hotel also apparently offers a 3-5KM early morning run 3 days a week which might be a good option for those interested in a light workout.

Location - Situated next to the Sky train as well as a U-turn to the highway, the hotel is convienent for travel both in and out of Bangkok. Like most hotels on Sukhumvit it is within close proximity to some of Bangkok's "entertainment districts" which can be a positive or negative depending upon one's interests.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Matthew B
GMTheWestinBangkok, General Manager at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Many thanks for your post, and taking the time to share with us and others. It’s great that you enjoyed the facilities of our signature Westin Workout, at the Hotel. Run Westin too is a mornign run offering around the City, which gives you a change to explore the outdoor environment with one of our team. I do hope you can try this next time. Kind regards, Charles Jack
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This was not my first stay at the Hotel, I was impressed the staff remembered me by name. As always I was greeted and treated very well. I am always impressed by the cleanliness of the hotel and how happy everyone is. While that is typically a feature in most Hotels in Thailand, I feel more at home in this one, it is not so cold as other ones and more of a comfort. It is right next to the BTS and a great location and now across the street from Terminal 21 a very nice Mall. They offer Transportation to and from the hotel for a cost of course but its much more comfortable than a Taxi and safer I feel, I do this in every city. There are a lot of nice restaurants if you do not want to pay hotel prices on the food but the food is good there, they have a spa or will come to your room for massage. It is a very good bargain with soft beds, very clean, excellent service and friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and others here online. It’s great to hear that the team looked after you well, as well as your feeling round the property is like an extended home with the staff happy and upbeat. Many thanks too for your other comments on the Hotel and surrounds and sharing with others. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back, should the situation arise. Be well, Charles Jack.
Bhadrak
Reviewed December 12, 2011

This is an expensive hotel at the very outset, but once you get in and start enjoying your stay, be dealt with extremely courteous staff, and served with the diverse variety of food selection, you will forget the cost. The location is right in the heart of Bangkok, well connected with the rest of the city, at the door step of the Sky train station. I was particularly impressed by the food that you can order into your room and its' relative cost compared to the price of food that you can buy from else where. You get those great food with excellent service at a relatively affordable cost. The rooms are spacious, clean, with all basic amenities. The washroom is spacious, with well appointed fittings and toiletries of high standard. The room service is prompt and perfect. The wardrobe is spacious, equipped with an ironing board and electrical iron. The TV is huge and other electronic gadgets are of top quality, like the master control for lights and alarm, all in a single unit. The furnishing of the room includes a study table with ergonomically designed chair and proper lighting gadget. The bed is adorned with clean and hygienic amenities, which are promptly maintained upon a short notice. The lift is client card sensitive, so security is relatively better. My overall experience at this property has made me forget all of my past experiences so far.
The staff behavior needs special mention. Other than the typical Thai decency of unparalleled height, they keep you close to their heart. The "Sawadheeka" with a sincere smile keeps resonating in you for a long time.

Mohammed Zawid Naseem

Room Tip: You may get a better deal, if you are not opting for breakfast and internet. The hotel is surrounded...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Zawid
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Stayed there in November - originally booked Aloft, but it didn't open in time so Starwood rebooked us to Westin.

The location is excellent, next to the Skytrain, so you can easily get to most places in BKK.

The hotel is a little worn out, but still fine, and the room was spacious and clean. The staff was very helpful, just as everywhere else in Thailand.

It's a typical business hotel - which may not suit everyone, but was just fine for us.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
SE Asia
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I was looking forward to a 3 day stay at this hotel as it had been recommended by friends who has stayed in it before. To start with I sent several emails asking for room rates - I never received a reply. Other people in my group managed to get a room rate of THB 4100 per night, but I was unable to get this rate unless I book for 4 nights at a rate of THB6100 for 3 nights with the 4th night "free". I had to do this through the website due to non-response from the Hotel. At the time of my visit my flight was empty signalling that not many tourists were visiting Bangkok at the current time, I presume due to the floods. When I arrived at the hotel I found out my rate did not include breakfast (additional THB800 per day) did not include free internet (additional THB470 per day). I can not believe a hotel of this standard does not provide free internet service to all customers. Also the tea and coffee making facilities were not replenished every day and I had to repeatedly call house keeping to ask for a tea bag to make my self a cup of tea and was brought 1 teabag at a time. Also in the room there was not hair dryer (if there was I could not find it) and no Spa menu. I did use the spa and found the girl on the reception there to be quite rude - she asked if I had a privilege card and when I produced what I thought she meant (a hotel reward card) she frowned and said "this isn't a privilege card" as if I were an idiot. Very disappointed, expected a lot more for my monet and probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Hyper-parent
Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback about your recent stay with us. I will send a message through TripAdvisor mail to ascertain a little more information on some of the shortfalls that you have outlined, as I would like to investigate then specifically to ensure we can improve in anyway possible. We’ll be in touch. Many thanks, Charles Jack