“Very good hotel - but under renovation”

The Westin Grande Sukhumvit
Ranked #63 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Arrived at hotel at 4.45 am and was told that check in was not till 2pm. Yes lady at front desk, I am not stupid. After a very exhausting flight I was not so impressed with her manner after telling us 3 times of this. We finally got advised that a room would be ready in about 2 hours, which was very much appreciated. This was out standing from the hotel. But my biggest compliant is that during check in we were not informed of the renovations in process. We finally found out 6 hours later when a note was put under our door to say we could not use the swimming pool. As we stayed for 4 nights got upgraded to the Executive rooms and were able to take advantage of all the extras. This was well worth it. All staff are very nice, and breakfast was one of the best I have ever had. If I had known the hotel was under renovation, I would not have stayed and this comnment was also made by several guests during our stay. Location, you cannot fault. Would I stay again, maybe not.

Room Tip: Make sure renovations are complete, very good location
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,211)

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Our arrival was a late one having arrived on UA at 11pm at BKK. (Actually, Delta since UA cancelled the flight, but that's another story). The staff was very nice even though we'd only be there for 10 hrs as a stop over to Phuket. They served us snacks and drinks... which was a great way to settle in for the night. We took a walk down Sukhumvit, which was fun late in the evening to shake the jet-lag off. Too bad the stay would be for such a short while. I would say the hotel is under-rated. Great value.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed in Westin Grand for a week, during business trip. Its very close to the Asoka BTS station , which is the perfect mode to get around anywhere in Bangkok.
There are many nice restaurants in the location, including a MacD right in the Hotel complex. The Rooms are neat and cozy, with really comfortable bed and pillows. Also this is my first experience of finding Condom packs, among the in-room snacks and beverages. Probably housekeeping would have wanted to stock the most asked item, in the room itself.

The staff happily gave me extended check-in and check-outs and also kept my luggage in Concierge desk for 3 days, as I hopped over to Phuket for a brief vacation , before returning.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
GMTheWestinBangkok, General Manager at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to post your experience on your stay in September with us. I am pleased the team here took good care and were flexible on your needs. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon. Be well, Charles Jack

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed here one night only but would like to return soon! Great location, with BTS and MRT transport lines just minutes away, a big department store (Robinsons) next door with ATM's, McDonalds, supermarket (Tops) in the basement and a great little spot to have a nice foot massage right next to the supermarket entrance (only B300 for one hour, clean, very good!). Plus, the new Terminal 21 building is literally next door with its eateries, shops, cinemas. Perfect. The hotel itself is very good, the check in area is not on the ground floor, you have to go up the lifts to get to the check in floor (7). Iced water available in the check in area for guests, service was good, not too slow. Rooms are good, not huge but what's not to love about the Westin "Heavenly Beds"… they are just divine. Gym is fine, some equipment a bit dated but still works just fine, day spa is lovely for massages but don't bother having a mani/pedi here. Overall, fabulous stay with our 9 year old daughter!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your post and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, the Hotel and facilities, along with the area in which we are located. There are so many things convenient to the Hotel in the surrounding area, and it’s great for you to share for others. I agree, the shopping mall of Terminal 21 next to us is a great addition to Asoke area. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Stay well, Charles Jack

Reviewed November 1, 2011

I started staying at the WGS just after it was remodeled in 2004 or 2005. I've spent a lot of time at the hotel (probably more than 100 nights) since then and always find it a pleasure to return to the hotel -- it really feels like home. It's not as flashy as its sister hotel (SGS) across the street which I find to my liking. The Club lounge is a great place to relax and have a glass of wine after a long day. The staff there is super friendly and helpful -- I've seen the same faces there since 2005 and they always remember me. If you're new to Bangkok you'll find the proximity to the BTS -- a few meters right out the main entrance -- a real help for getting around the city. In short this is a wonderful place to stay in Bangkok.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you very for your feedback and it’s great to learn the Hotel feels like home. Thank you for sharing the tips with others on the Westin Executive Club. It's nice to hear that the team looks after you well. that we have here. We really appreciate your loyalty to us over the years, and look forward to seeing you soon. Many thanks, Charles Jack

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Stayed on business. Was upgraded to executive floor since the deluxe room was overbooked. Overall it was ok, just 1 complaint. I brought an ice pack n requested it to be kept in the freezer. Went to the club lounge to collect it before I check out, the staff took abou 10 minutes to locate it, n it was just chilled n not frozen. I didn't make a fuss since I was only transferring to another hotel. But it would have been disastrous if I'm heading straight to the airport!

• Stayed: October 2011

Many thanks for staying with us and thank you for your feedback. I’m disappointed to learn about the chilled not frozen ice pack and apologise for the inconvenience. I’ve communicated to the team to ensure they ask the right questions to clarify for any situation moving forward. I hope the balance of your stay was otherwise enjoyable. Kind regards, Charles Jack

Reviewed October 27, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel many times, as for Business travel and with my family and friends.
The location is perfect as it is in the center of BKK business district, the Sky train is within 50m from the main entrance, and the underground train (MRT) is 2 min away.

The new beautiful mall, Terminal 21, is just across. Fun place to shop and dine.

The rooms are neat and cozy, with all what is needed for traveling in a highest quality: Amazing bed and pillows, TV.

Service - the staff are friendly and very helpful, always attentive for all I need.

Business lounge - great service, good food, drinks, relaxing ambiance.

Breakfast – wide selection of Thai and international cuisine, delicious and healthy.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent stay and also the information provided. It’s great to learn of the details you share with others and you enjoyed your time here. Terminal 21 shopping mall is new and exciting addition to the area, I agree. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon. Many thanks again and be well, Charles Jack