New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“A relaxing oasis in the middle of Bangkok” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #9 of 826 Hotels in Bangkok
“A relaxing oasis in the middle of Bangkok”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This may be one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. Even the basic room was spacious, the service was impeccable and the pool in the outdoor garden is absolutely fabulous. We were travelling with our 2 month old daughter and the staff were so accommodating that they made our first trip with baby a breeze. They even greeted us with a “baby amenities kit” complete with baby soap, lotion, powder and a rubber duck for the bathtub. The breakfast buffet was impressive with a nice mix of Western and Asian dishes and lots of fresh fruit. We had arranged to go to Phuket for a few days after our Bangkok stay, but we were enjoying ourselves so much we almost considered staying put! The only negative thing I can say is that I though the food and drinks at the pool were a bit pricey and of average quality, but there is something very relaxing about being served a pina colada on a lounger next to the pool in a beautiful garden in the middle of Bangkok!

Room Tip: The views from the higher floors are lovely.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Meggiev123,

May I thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for the time that you had taken to share your review.

I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed the spaciousness of our rooms, the breakfast buffet at Orchid Cafe, and our swimming pool - a tropical oasis in the middle of the city. Moreover, I am glad to read that our team were able to be a part in making your family vacation a more memorable one, especially with your baby. Your kind comments have been shared with the team and we look forward to welcoming your family back again in the near future.

Richard Chapman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Arabic first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

++ Among the best service in Bangkok
++ gorgeous pool
++ BarSu makes you feel home after the second stay and leaves you tipsy after killer cocktails

-- hotel overall to cold for my taste (US/Asians though love it)
-- rooms dated (renovations started to tackle that issue)
-- areas can be quite busy sometimes, eg. Breakfast, Living Room etc.

Stayed in this property many times. Location at Asoke is convenient with banks, Terminal 21 shopping mall, all kinds of restaurants/businesses and especially BTS and MRT nearby. Close proximity to Nana and Soi Cowboy is not my cup of tea but a lot of guests enjoy that. Over the skywalk from hotel to BTS you can leave anywhere unharmed from the weather, despite heavy rain or sunshine - that is terrific.

The pool is a little different, makes more the impression of an Oasis. It might not be perfect to seriously swim but I consider it a contender for one of the most beautiful pools in Bangkok. I even go there sometimes for a relaxing beverage when not staying in the hotel and leave the noise and hectic life outside.

Rooms are somewhat dated, especially some Suites that are simply two connected rooms. In those you most of the time use just one of the two. Even the much nicer corner suites suffer from old decor of the interior and bathroom. Despite this fact, the hotel rooms still exude the times of an old Luxury Collection property, means even if old, not to shabby... and they are already started renovation activity. I never had a regular room but they benefit from the renovations first and should be quite an improvement compared to before.
Water pressure is great and the bath amenities quite good. I love the details like the small pack of washing detergent for a quick hand wash and the powder against sweat. Both items are not common even in five star hotels and stand out in my opinion.

The breakfast is solid and of high quality. It maybe not my preferred breakfast in Bangkok, still it is the favorite of many other frequent travelers I know and quite amazing in choices and quality. It caters much to US and Asian paleds, means as a (not Britain) European I do not enjoy eggs & bacon/sausages or any heavy stuff in the morning and miss a fresh croissant / cornetto and a fresh cup of quality coffee. Croissants are available, just don't expect much as the coffee is again 'Americano' style, which I do not like. The tea is a good alternative. If you are into an opulent breakfast, try the eggs benedict, the french toast and/or the cheese selection.

The restaurants in the hotel are impressive. Basil is solid Thai food for foreigners... only very overpriced and missing the intense flavors I love in Thai cuisine. Still many Americans prefer this very much over spicy Thai food from small local joints.
The Italian restaurant plays in the high end league - definitely price wise. Pasta and antipasti were good, meat dishes I sampled ok but not exceptional. Still a solid experience in a quite and tasteful atmosphere, very suitable for a formal dinner, business or private.

From the different bars, I enjoy listening to Jazz in the 'Living room' but without a jacket it's freezing there. Cocktails are not only great anywhere in the hotel, I rate them among the best served in Thailand. My favorite though is BarSu in the basement / ground level, which has the appeal of an intimate bar, although it can take quite an amount of guests. They can make you feel at home after a few visits. The (former) F&B Manager from Switzerland was an asset for the place. I'll miss him. The girls doing the drinks and the service / conversation are still there and amazing in their respective fields. My tip: Chat with the nice looking ones but negotiate your perfect dry Martini, Mojito, Cosmopolitan, Lychee Martini or whatever your poison is be with the quite, hard working one behind the Bar. She produces amazing killer cocktails with a smile.

Did I mention the service so far? Not enough I assume. That my friend can be said and not much opposition to this statement will be there: The Sheraton Grande provides one of the best and most constant service levels in Bangkok... You will be greeted by your name by the doorman and most people in direct contact with you and you will get a treatment that truly is five star in every aspect... not many properties can claim that today.

All in all, if you have the choice try it least once and see for yourself. I guess you wont be disappointed... and probably come back... as all the others do. What makes this hotel one with the best occupancy rates in town... also a fact, that you hardly will be by yourself in this house at any time.

Enjoy the stay and the experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank FoodieOnTourdotcom
Dear FoodieOnTourdotcom,

May I thank you for returning to Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for sharing your experiences.

I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed our swimming - the Oasis, the cocktails at BarSu, and most importantly, the services provided by our Luxury Collection ambassadors. We strive to provide our guests with an incomparable stay, and I am glad that our Luxury Collection ambassadors were able to be a part of enhancing your stay.

With regards to your comments of our rooms, I am pleased to inform you that we will be commencing an enhancement program, which will give a fresher look and more contemporary feel to the guestrooms. This will include a totally new colour scheme, state-of-the-art media hub, 40” TV, upgraded guest room Internet, new lighting and new shower fittings. The room together with its 45 sq.m. space will certainly give us a leading edge amongst the 5 stars hotel in Bangkok.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I've stayed at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit at various times throughout the last few years. My last visit was in June of 2012, so this is slightly dated. I still wanted to give it a review as I anticipate I'll be back there in a few months.

The staff has always been exceptional during all of my stays. Last time, I needed to work through an airline issue, and the concierge went above and beyond to try to make the air travel adjustments. The issue was gettting in touch with someone from the airline on a Sunday. He did everything possible to do it, finally with success. The staff has always been helpful. I am anxious to see if anything has changed based on a few reviews.

The location is very good for central Bangkok. The Skytrain is right across the street and it is one of the best ways to get around during peak traffic times in Bangkok (which some would consider to be all day). This hotel is not near the river. If you want that in a Sheraton property, try the Sheraton Royal Orchid Hotel. It is very nice as well. It is just not as central as this hotel.

The rooms are quite comfortable and I've always slept well here. The bathroom has plenty of room for 2 people and the seperate bathtub and shower are helpful. There are plenty of food options within walking distance of the hotel.

I must agree with one of the other reviews I read about the pool. The pool area is rather small and the pool is not a lap (or large swimming) type of pool. It is adequate for a quick dip, but that's about it. If there was anything I'd change about the hotel, it would be the pool area. The setting is comfortable and nice. It's the confined space/area that hinders the usefulness of the overall area. It is Bangkok, and space is at a premium. So, I guess they work with what they have. All in all, if you want a few days poolside or beach side, hop on a quick hour+ flight to Phuket or one of the other many beach areas in Thailand and get your fix that way. Bangkok is vibrant, exotic city. Get out, live it, and enjoy it!

I would recommend this hotel due to the location for business travelers or touring the city. I'd also recommend it for room comfort and staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear mightywa,

May I thank you for your support for Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for the time that you had taken to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed your numerous stays with us. I do agree with you that our greatest asset is definitely our people and I am delighted to read that our Concierge Department were able to be a part in making your stay more memorable. We are indeed fortunate to be centrally located, having a skywalk bridge directly connecting the hotel lobby with the BTS Skytrain Station and just a few steps away from the MRT Subway station. For a leisure visitor who plans to visit the main sightseeing spots, the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel and Towers is more convenient as you have mentioned. However, if the visitor is on business or wishes to be close the major shopping areas or entertainment, the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is more ideally located.

Thank you once again for your review and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights in 2 interconnecting rooms with our 2 young children. This is one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at. The staff were professional and very friendly, the facilities first class including a great pool and fabulous breakfast buffet. Location is great - a short undercover walk to the BTS and MRT stations as well as the Terminal 21 shopping centre which is definitely worth visiting! Would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely return when we are next in Bangkok.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Lisa I,

May I thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for taking the time to share your recent experience.

I am delighted to read of your positive experience with our rooms, breakfast buffet, swimming pool and our location. Being directly connected with the BTS skytrain station and just a few steps from the MRT subway station, guests are minutes away from the different attractions of Bangkok.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Arrived in Bangkok very tired after a long flight. In need of rest and refreshment we arrived at the Sheraton and were not disappointed. This is a terrific hotel with great facilities and an ideal location close to the Skytrain and plenty of local restaurants. The rooms are spacious, clean and very comfortable. The breakfast is excellent with plenty of choice. The staff are friendly and go the extra mile to help. Would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Highly recommended
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Peter S,

May I thank you for choosing to stay at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit on your most recent visit to Bangkok.

I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed our facilities, services and location. It is a great pleasure to read that you were able to enjoy the spread at our buffet breakfast at Orchid Cafe. Moreover, I am glad that our Luxury Collection ambassadors were able to be a part in enhancing your stay with us. Our biggest asset is our definitely our people and I am certain that they appreciate the recognition that you have given to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is the first time Starwood has misled me. I usually choose a Starwood brand if one is available so I looked for one when I was going to spend a few days in Bangkok. My first time there so I didn't know what to look for. I was a attracted to the photos of the pool. Bangkok is hot so I thought the tropically landscaped pool would be a major plus. I also usually like the Luxury Collection hotels. First of all... the pictures of the pool must have been done with majorly trick photography because in fact. the pool is very, very small, squeezed in to a very tight space. Much too small for the climate and the size of the hotel. So forget using the pool. Too crowded and cramped. Then, the hotel is nice, but faded and dreary, badly in need off a refurbish. Everything was dull and tired looking. But my room was large and and clean and on a high floor with nice views of the smog. I only ate there once, room service. The worst pizza I've ever tasted. The hotel has a walkway to the skytrain which is very convenient and there is a very strange mall across the street. What I didn't know at the time was that if you are going to Bangkok as a tourist, you want to stay on the river. It's cooler there and there are lovely restaurants and water taxis to take you to the Grand Palace and Wat Arun, the flower market, chinatown. There is a Sheraton on the river, the Royal Orchid, and I wish I had stayed there instead. The Sukhumvit was fine. There was nothing wrong with it. It just would have been better to stay on the river and there are plenty of nice hotel choices there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear damicom,

May I thank you for staying at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for taking the time to write a review.

With reference to the pool, no trick photography is used as we wish to not mislead the viewer. The main section of the pool is 23 meters in length for those who likes to lap.

I am pleased to advise that beginning of May, we will be commencing the guestroom soft refurbishment, which will give a fresher look and more contemporary feel to the guestrooms. This will include a totally new colour scheme, state-of-the-art media hub, 40” TV, upgraded guest room Internet, new lighting and new shower fittings. The room together with its 45 sq.m. space will certainly give us a leading edge amongst the 5 stars hotel in Bangkok.

However, I was concerned to read of your disappointment on the meal ordered from in-room service .This point has been brought to the attention of the management concerned, so that appropriate follow-up can be taken and I apologize for this disappointment.

I do hope that in spite of this inconvenience we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future to experience the improvement.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit in Bangkok and must say that my time there exceeded my expectations.

From my arrival at the hotel, to being escorted to my room, to receiving a welcome beverage within 5 minutes of being in my room, to breakfast options to eat either by the pool or in the main dining area, booking the hotel limousine to Lebua State Tower and then the next day to Pattaya, the Concierge looking after my bags for one night, sitting by the pool for complimentary happy hour, getting smoothies made for breakfast at my request and even talking to the restaurant manager whom had a wealth of information about the Bangkok, the hotel, the honey that is bought in for breakfast and also on what to do for the day...

The hotel is located across from Terminal 21 which hosts a mall, fitness center, cinema complex and an extensive variety of food options.

I would highly recommend this hotel not only for its great location for travelers and business types alike, not only for the hustle and bustle of a growing city being on the doorsteps to the hotel but most importantly for the exceptional service standards that the hotel manager has set in play from the the bell boy, to housekeeping, to the operator, to the drivers, to the reception staff across to the food and beverage team... what more can i say.

This hotel sets the bar... enjoy it now.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo