“Great value and good location”

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #9 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit was a great base of operations for our 4 days in Bangkok over Christmas. The rate was very reasonable, especially considering it included breakfast, wifi, happy hour cocktails, and 2 items of laundry per person per day. The location was great too - right on the BTS Skytrain line which made it easy to get around the city and avoid a lot of traffic.

The breakfast was indeed spectacular - great buffet options and fresh fruit, I didn't take advantage of the made to order omelettes, etc., but they looked good as well.

Agreed with other reviewers that the pool is too small for a hotel that size. But honestly, we weren't in the hotel that much anyway so it didn't feel like a great loss.

Also agree that the room decor feels a little dated. But the room and bathroom were big, we had a great view, and the bed was comfortable.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Raj R,

Thank you for staying with us at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit during the Festive Season.

I am glad to read that you had enjoyed the benefits offered with your room rate, the breakfast service as well as the convenience of our location. Regarding your comment of our rooms, I am pleased to announce that we will soon commence on an enhancement program which will provide the rooms with a fresh look and feel. Some of the changes that we will be making include a new color scheme, state-of-the-art media hub, new lighting and shower.

I look forward to the next opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Richard Chapman

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed January 5, 2013

To be honest, I chose Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit by luck. It was the only hotel I had a discount at in the area and close to the hospital I was visiting. I wasn’t a fan of Starwood hotels because of their reputation in UAE so I wasn’t very excited but when I reached Grande Sukhumvit .... I was speechless.
The exterior design of the hotel is beautiful especially in the day light! However the consistent smell of food in the lobby bothered me. Other than that, everything was just awesome! The service was amazing. The staff was very friendly and nice, they even offered us a free wifi, free wired interned, free laundry, free clothes pressing, free afternoon drinks in the lounge, and free breakfast in two different restaurants just for being a SP Guest although I enrolled two days ago so I had no points! I also got a SPG room which was on a high floor, which had a great view and close to the elevator (something I appreciate).
I can’t stress enough how nice staff are, even the door man, as we would always use their help in stopping a taxi and he would fight the taxi man for us to start the meter. Staying at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit encouraged me to stay more often at Starwood hotels.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Enawfal

Dear Enawfal,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us as Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit on your most recent visit to Bangkok.

I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. Our biggest asset is definitely our people and your comments have been shared with the team to recognize their efforts. The benefits that you have mentioned are for the Grande Deluxe Room, where guests are able to enjoy breakfast, high speed internet access, 24 hours butler service, daily evening cocktails, and 2 complimentary items of washing/ pressing per day. Regarding your comment of the smell of food in the lobby area, it is coming from Orchid Cafe where we do serve daily buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have taken note of your comments and discuss it with my time for future improvements.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and my team and I look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you to our hotel.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights during the christmas week with a one year old. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. There was a genuine effort to try and cater to every need that a guest may have. Naturally being a luxury collection hotel, it was expensive but not over the board also.

We stayed on the 18th floor and had a view overlooking the lake. It was nice but not fabulous - a general city landscape of concrete mountains - good for those who like that sort of thing.

The room size (deluxe) was very nice. Even with 2 adults and all the paraphernalia of a one year old and the shopping and 3 medium to big suitcases (which just about managed to fit into the boot and the front passenger seat of a merc e class limo) we did not feel helmed in and we did spend some time in the room letting the baby recuperate from the sightseeing and shopping stints outside.

The breakfast spread was very nice although it did get a bit repetitive over a week. However, i guess that is bound to happen in most hotels across the world. The spread was large and fresh. Even at closing time there was adequate quantities available. We tried the restaurants also and they were good too. The christmas lunch buffet was exemplary.

You cannot beat this hotel in terms of its location if you are willing to use the BTS Sky Train. It has a private connection to the hotel and is practically located on it. It used to take us just about 3 minutes at a leisurely place to be at the ticket counter. Terminal 21 and Robinsons are bang opposite. So is Soi cowboy. The Asok MRT is also close by.

There were 2 things that i did not like about the hotel. Firstly, they charge you for accessing internet in the room. In today's world does that really count as a luxury, especially when it is free in the lobby and other public area? It does seem like an attempt to fleece whatever possible out of the guest and that does leave a bad taste in the mouth the second thing that struck us as a bit odd is that despite being a luxury hotel, there was only one set of amenities (shampoo, soap, gel, etc.) in the toilet despite having separate shower cubicle and tub.

Overall, would certainly recommend this place and would stay there again.

Dear RRC_1976,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us over the Festive Season and for the time that you have taken to write a review regarding your recent stay with us.

It is of my greatest pleasure to read that you have enjoyed the size of our room as well as the level of service provided. However, with your comments regarding the internet and the amenities, please allow me to explain that Wi-Fi is indeed complimentary in the public areas, in the guestrooms for Platinum and Gold level members of the Starwood Preferred Guest Program, and for other guests staying in our Suites, Grande Deluxe and Premium Deluxe Rooms. As for the amenities, we have placed a single set in the bathroom, but more amenities are available upon request with our Housekeeping Department.

My team and I look forward to the next opportunity of welcoming you and your family back to Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here on the way to Myanmar. As other postings point out, this is a tired old hotel. Room size is good but they need to renovate - grotesque blue/green tiles in the bathrooms and old furnishings. Service is great though.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear bwgs888,

May I thank you for staying with us during your recent visit and for taking the time to write a review about Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.

May I take this opportunity to inform you that we will shortly commence an enhancement program, which will give a fresh look and feel to the room. This will include a totally new colour scheme, state-of-the-art media hub, 40” TV, new lighting and new shower fittings. The room together with its 45 sq.m. space will certainly give us a leading edge amongst the 5 stars hotel in Bangkok.

I look forward to the next opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed there from the 28th dec to the 1st of january, found the hotel to be extremely crowded especially noisy around lobby and lift areas. ours was the grand suite, spacious and well laid out, but surely old and tired looking! pool is extrememly small for a hotel this size. but overall service was definitely good, felt well taken care of! hotel needs a makeover for sure!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear chennaitraveller_11,

May I thank you for choosing to stay with us on your most recent visit to Bangkok.

I am pleased to advise that we will soon be commencing an enhancement program to our rooms. This enhancement will include a new color scheme, 40" TV, state-of-the-art media hub, new shower fittings and new lighting. On the other hand, I am happy to read of the positive interaction you had with our Luxury Collection ambassadors.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed for a night while transiting Bangkok - we usually stay at the St. Regis in bangkok, but we wanted to try a different SPG just to see it. The Hotel itself is a bit older than some of the other SPG offerings in Bangkok, but still nice with a very helpful staff in a good location near the sky train.

My wife and I were upgraded to a nice suite, which was nice but you could tell it was just a bit older than other SPG offerings. We also noticed that the entire hotel seemed to have a sort of smell to it. It wasn't an unpleasant smell or anything like that, it was just the kind of thing that hotels in the tropics get after a while - a certain scent that we noticed when we checked in and got to our room, but became used to rather quickly. Like I said, not a bad thing - just there.

The breakfast buffet was expansive and amazing. Tons of fresh fruit, lots of savory breakfast options from all cultures, five different kinds of fresh-squeezed fruit juice, and eggs made to order. I'm fairly critical of breakfast spread, but this one was really good.

Considering that we paid $150 per night a couple of days before Christmas, this was a great value, but then again everything in Bangkok is rather cheap. This hotel is really rather good overall, but considering that the St Regis Bangkok is usually available for about $50 more (although that can varry), I would stay there over this. Still, if somebody told me I was staying at the Sheraton Grande Bangkok again, I would be happy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear 451MSH,

May I thank you for choosing to stay at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit on your most recent visit to Bangkok.

I can well understand that a one year old hotel compared to a 16 years old hotel can make a huge difference. We do indeed have plans for an enhancement program, which will give a fresh look and feel to the room. This will include a totally new color scheme, state-of-the-art media hub, 40” TV, new lighting and new shower fittings.

However, I am pleased to read that you had enjoyed the services provided by our Luxury Collection ambassadors as well as the convenience of having our hotel connected to the BTS skytain station.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed there over Christmas and New Year and fully enjoyed our stay! The service in the hotel is very attentive, professional and friendly, from the restaurants, housekeeping, front office etc. - the breakfast around the swimming pool is a really nice touch and you wouldn't know that you're in the middle of the city

Rooms are great for a hotel of this age and well taken care off - housekeeping was very good.

The hotel is very good located with direct access to either shopping malls and sky train - just perfect for a city break

The GM Mr Chapman and his Assistant (sorry but I forgot his name) made really some efforts and took time to talk to us and other guest - we saw them every morning & eveing making their rounds to ensure their guests are well taken care of - a very nice touch for such a busy city hotel and we defenitely will be back soon again !

Dear Londondinu,

Thank you for choosing to spend Christmas and New Year with us at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for the positive feedback that you have given to our team. Your valued compliments is definitely an encouragement to all of us and will help us in staying within the list of top hotels in Bangkok.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another memorable stay.