“Literally a high-achiever in Bangkok”

Banyan Tree Bangkok
Ranked #29 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
Singapore, Singapore
“Literally a high-achiever in Bangkok”
Reviewed January 25, 2011

There isn't much to add to the numerous positive reviews already on this site. Things that made our stay particularly wonderful were:
- Turn down service in the room with each time a different "incense of the day"
- Large room with superb views
- Rooftop bar is truly one of a kind

Minor things that could be improved:
- Speed of service at reception and rooftop bar
- A/C in the room is difficult to control
- Pool is a bit disappointing
- Pay over 600 B for 24-hr wireless. Really? This is 2011 people.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,099)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed January 23, 2011

As it was my birthday I wanted to stay somehwere special. The Banyan Tree overwhelmed me with its level of Service. Last time I was in Bangkok my husband and I stayed in the Penninsula. I can honestly say the Banyan Tree blows it right out of the water. I experienced club level and have to say it was great value for money. We ate in Vertigo and enjoyed drinks in the Moon Bar. Staff are fabulous and make you feel like they really appreciate your patronage. Trhe room was huge and the bathroom alone is as large as a standard deluxe room. The spa and pool were also very inviting. Our room had a fabulous inscence burner and oil. It was so beautiful that I bought the oil and inscence from the gift shop in the Lobby. This hotel is so full of beautiful, quirky, imaginative surprises that you will constantly smile. One thing that really epitomised five staff service was when I received a pair of white jeans back from the dry cleaning they were pristine. a button had come loose on my travels (3weeks) and house keeping had stiched it back on. This to me was first class service. I had sent those jeans for dryclraning to other 5 stars on my travels and none of them thought to do this.

I would very easily say that this hotel is one of thee best I have ever stayed in. book it now and be sure to venture to the 61st floor for a cocktail and a must in this jewel of a hotel.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Booked a Spa Suite hoping for a luxurious experience in a plush newly renovated room but shocked to be greeted by the exact opposite. I travel extensively and know exactly what $800 per night buys, and can say outright that the $800 charged by the Banyan Tree Bangkok for the so-called Spa Suite is a complete rip-off, and they should be ashamed of this product offering. The suite is one of the very old unrenovated rooms, with run down and smelly bathrooms the equivalent of what you find in a 2/3 star hotel not 4/5. The bedroom is tiny and the living area not practical in terms of sofa arragements. The only thing that is unique about this suite is a private spa treatment room attached to it, which does not by any means justify the exponential room rate. The room had obviously not been occupied for some time, judging from the cockroach found on the floor of the spa treatment room, and the foul smelling bathroom, and dust in various areas. The fancy sounded value-added services that come with the room does not amount to anything much, nor does it live up to its fancy-sounding description. A 90-min Spa Treatment is not 90-minutes but 60 but includes 30-minute "standard services" i.e. foot wash, back rub, etc. A Welcome Scrub sounds like a complimentary body scrub will be given as part of the Spa Treatment. When I called to schedule this, I was informed that the welcome scrub is in fact the Salt provided in the jar by the bathtub, and that it is to be used to scrub yourself. I was disappointed at first, but found the response too hilarious. All nothing more than false advertising.

Might I add that I have eaten at their restaurants Baiyun and Vertigo on several occasions only to be put off by the CONSISTENTLY rude and obnoxious service each time? I do not understand myself for why I did not expect this to be reflected on the quality of rooms and other services to begin with.

All in all, nothing 5 stars about this hotel. Not even 4 stars or 3. For $800 a night, one can go pamper oneself at a true deluxe category hotel. Don't waste your money here. If you charge the same price as the Mandarin Oriental, then you should at least offer comparable products and services.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank PourPaul
BT_Executive_Office, Hotel Manager at Banyan Tree Bangkok, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Dear motutoopua,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay at Banyan Tree Bangkok.

This short note is to acknowledge receipt of your comments, and to inform you that we will endeavor to revert shortly. However, in order to investigate this thoroughly, It would help us immensely, if you could provide us your booking details at reservations-bangkok@banyantree.com

Once again, we appreciate your taking the time to give us your valuable feedback and please accept our apologies if your experience has led you to write this comment.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We stayed at the Banyan Tree for 3 nights on our way to Hua hin. The Hotel is amazing and the service is amazing first class would highly recommend. Near enough to lots of bars ans restuarants recommended 5 star

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank potsholidays
New Delhi, India
Reviewed January 14, 2011

Truly a wonderful experience..U need to go to banyan tree in order to experience the 6 star life..beautiful..not as gr8 as banyan tree phuket but definitely one of the best ive stayed in..

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2011

After just over two weeks staying on various beautiful islands my boyfriend and I were booked to spend our last night in Thailand in the Banyan Tree. My boyfriend had always stayed there on previous trips to Bangkok and wanted me to enjoy the pool and Vertigo bar. We arrived in Bangkok a day early and went straight to the Banyan Tree to ask for an additional night. We were told that the hotel was full with the exception of the highest prices rooms. When I said no to this I was then told I could have a suite with breakfast (in room or buffet) and high tea the following day included. Although it was about three times the price we were paying the following night we agreed. There was no welcome drink or introduction to the hotel just a request for payment and our room card provided. As we were exhausted we ordered a meal in the room and went straight to bed. The room was freezing and the air con dial was broken. The food was awful. When our breakfast arrived the following morning we were given a bill of £70 we then had to say it was included in our room price and wait for two phone calls to be made while our breakfast got cold before being told that yes it was included. Not quite the relaxing breakfast in bed that we had planned. Later that day we had the same experience with the high tea. We had to explain to three members of staff while in the lounge area and had to point out this was beginning to ruin our stay before they finally agreed it was included. High tea included 4 miniature rolls and two miniature cakes between two. Not worth it. In addition we were told we would have to change rooms for the second night so we packed our cases and brought them down only to be told we would now be given the same room. On the second day we came back from the markets to find the pool area full and limited sun loungers and chairs, we then went to our room (at 3pm) to discover it had not been made up, we had to call reception to request it to be cleaned. Finally when we checked out at 5.30am the following morning to get to the airport we were charged much more than quoted. An additional 20% on top of the agreed room rate was for service charge. For in room dining we were charged an additional tax and service charge. This was never mentioned on check in and we did not have to pay the additional fee when we had pre booked on line for the second night. The staff was unable to break down the fees or explain them. Although I disputed that payment and some other charges I had to pay so I could leave and get my flight so I signed paid in dispute and was not given a detailed receipt. We then discovered although we had asked the previous day at reception to book our cab to the airport, this had not been done and we had to rely on the concierge desk getting us a taxi at the last minute. What made the whole experience awful was the lack of any customer service. On the breakfast and high tea the staff ran around causing a scene with no explanation to us other that we had to pay (before realising we did not). When we checked out I said I wished to complain and that we'd had an awful experience and both members of staff said yes but you must pay and complain later (providing me with no information on how to do this). At no point did any member of staff take control and try to diffuse the situation as you would expect from any decent customer service. All in all I would never return which is a real shame as the hotel itself could be great with the location, spa, bar, etc (although the sauna steam area is well overdue renewal). It seems to focus on making as much money as it can by charging as much as possible for things most higher end hotels provide complimentary (including Wi-Fi). The concierge staff were by far the most friendly and helpful.

1 Thank Bax_25
BT_Executive_Office, Hotel Manager at Banyan Tree Bangkok, responded to this review, January 17, 2011
Dear Bax_25,

Thanks for letting us know about your experience and giving us a chance to address the issues raised. I am sorry to hear of the inconveniences and that nobody explained clearly to you and your partner the reasons for the taxes and higher priced suites to put your mind at ease.

Please allow me to elaborate in greater detail on all the points you brought to light.
You had made a booking for a Deluxe suite under a package that afforded you a special price; however, when you came in a day early, we did not have that same suite category available and therefore had to give you a higher category suite – The Premier suite but, gave you a similar discount of 20%. As a last minute booking and being a different suite category, even with the discount it was more expensive than your earlier booking but this rate also included breakfast and high tea. Just to clarify, even when breakfast is included in your tariff, it is standard to ask for guest signature, however I have to apologize for the confusion regarding your high tea because, it was an internal miscommunication and should not have happened. On the room move, we in fact did not want you to move your suites and upgraded you for the second night to the higher room category when you came down to change suites. As you can see the intention was to make your stay convenient without having to move rooms in a 2 night stay. Perhaps this was not communicated to you properly which led to this confusion.

I think my associates perhaps should have also explained to you about the tax structure of Thailand hotels as it is fairly standard in all hotels to charge for 10% service charge and 7% government tax, which you raised as a point of concern. I would also like to explain that if you wish to take a taxi in Bangkok, particularly from Banyan Tree Bangkok, it is convenient for concierge to call one off the Sathorn road, a busy road with taxis available quickly. This is also preferred by many of our guests as booking a taxi has an additional charge. As regards to the cleanliness in the room, our records indicate that after you called Guest Services, the housekeeping went up to your room within ten minutes to makeup the room as requested, however, if there was a longer delay I would like to apologize again.
I also take note of your comments regarding the pool which is undergoing renovation and complimentary wi-fi.
The fact that all these things added to your frustration purely because of lack of communication skills is unacceptable. We do recruit associates with a certain minimum level of English proficiency as a key criteria, particularly for front of house associates but, I will look into this further.
Once again, please accept our sincere apologies and I hope that you will, despite this one stay which was unfortunately affected mainly due to lack of adequate communication, give Banyan Tree Bangkok renewed opportunities to serve you again in the future.

I am sending a copy of my response to your direct e-mail address as well so you can contact me directly for any further follow up, thanks.

hong kong
Reviewed January 4, 2011

It was a warm welcome upon arrival with tradition Thai flowers and a drink. Once we got into our room, I had to call to request for more incense and aroma oil, the room stinked. I didn't bother to complain but the next morning I was awaken with noise of drilling. I called guest services but the noises didn't stop until the 2nd time I called. Also, the twin bed was closely next to each other, basically they were 2 mattresses next to each other and not 2 beds.

We also went to the spa at the hotel and it was GREAT disappointment. Again, the sound proofing was extremely bad that I could overhear the complete conversation of the room next to ours (and it was of volume of normal talking). I also could not believe that no sleepers were placed outside of the shower. I had to go around the whole room to look for them!

Another incident was that I called the concierge and asked them to help me make a reservation at a local spa, but he asked me to call myself. Of course I requested him to do it for me but how could he ask me to do it myself at the first place?

BT Bangkok does not live up the Banayn Tree brand name. Period.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
BT_Executive_Office, Hotel Manager at Banyan Tree Bangkok, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Dear Dihy,

I would like to thank you first of all for taking the time to give us feedback on your experience, and apologize if this stay did not leave you impressed and satisfied.

Having investigated the concerns you raised about the noise and smell of the room, it is clear that our Housekeeping and Engineering associates have fixed the issue but, not immediately enough to your satisfaction. As regards to the concierge service, as part of our service we are happy to make reservations at restaurants and spas not only for our hotel guests, but also for outside guests. I have spoken to the team and be assured that the necessary measures are being instituted to prevent similar occurrences.

For Banyan Tree Spa, I have checked with our Spa Manager and I believe that immediate action was taken to apologize and a token of compensation was offered for the inconvenience.

I understand your feeling of let down and I also hope that you will accept this note as a genuine apology.