“warm service with a personal touch!”

Banyan Tree Bangkok
Ranked #34 of 896 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel is my best stay in bangkok so far. I requested for a change of bed to twin bed instead of the king bed as booked. Initially they didnt have any rooms with twin beds so we just take the one with king bed, however when we returned to our room after a day of shopping, they changed it to twin beds! That was a nice surprise. To add on, they gave us a bottle of champagne and bouquet of roses as it was our anniversary. Another sweet surprise from the hotel. The vertigo and moon bar is a must visit with breath taking views and good service. However alcoholic drinks are not serve at the bar. Banyan tree spa were great too. This hotel is not located near the train station, so location wise isnt very convenient. However u can just take the cab down to town from the hotel. Overall very surprised and satisfied from the hotel. Looking foward to going back there again. Definately worth the bucks spent!

Room Tip: Take the executive club room, free access to club lounge and service.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,830)

Reviewed March 10, 2013

The view from the rooftop terrace at night is stunning, special and one of the must do things in Bangkok.

The hotel itself and in particular the quality of service is run more like a 4 star and I was disappointed with what I had expected to be one of the best hotels in the world. The room itself was of a good quality. Some of my issues were for example being woken in the morning by loud cleaning staff standing outside my door talking on the phone even when I had the do not disturb sign switched on or being disturbed at 5pm to replace the mini bar which had expired when I had been out of the room all day. The worst was when i was woken up whilst being jet-lagged at around 9.50am and told that the hotel has to do an emergency shutdown of the electricity which involved having no air conditioning or TV. I was subsequently called 5 minutes later and told that this was not required. That was the straw that broke the camels back and I complained, and it was made right by a late checkout of the room which was appreciated.

The location of the hotel is not great if you like to walk, as you have to use the shuttle bus and taxi everywhere. The hotel extras I thought were overpriced. The Novotel is half the price, run like a 5 star hotel but in fact is a 4 star, you do not get disturbed in your room and it is in a much better location next to the sky train and shopping centres, stay there instead.

Room Tip: Make sure about the location of this hotel suits your needs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2013

It has taken me almost two years to write this review as I've since had a little baby with no time to spare (so apologies if the review feels out of date) but I just had to shout about how special this hotel is. Our holiday date was June 2011.

My husband and I wanted to go for one last treat as a couple and really splash out on a holiday far from England (which otherwise would be difficult to travel to with children on a 10 hour flight). So anyway we chose this hotel through Kuoni for 4 nights (before going to Phuket) and can honestly say it was a beautiful hotel! The entrance was very grand, the rooms were beautifully decorated, and the staff were very pleasant. We felt like royalty here. There were complementary drinks on arrival and little orchid garlands. The room came with lovely local fruit, different incense sticks for different days - though the smell of them was quite strong for my liking. The roof top restaurant was an added bonus, bit pricey (around £80 for 2 main courses and non-alcoholic drinks I think it was) but still worth it for that beautiful view...so romantic and special.

We pre-booked massages at the hotel before we left UK, and OMG were the massages wonderful. I went all out for a 3 hour spa package which included a short foot scrub, showering, body scrub, hot oil treatment for my hair then finished off with a serious Thai massage! Very expensive but worth a one off treat!

The location was great, but as soon as you step outside of the hotel's walls you are faced with the noisy, dusty streets of Bangkok. I have to admit Bangkok isn't particularly pretty, but has lots of interesting sites to see.

Room Tip: You can choose either a room that faces the skyscrapers of Bangkok (which is the one we took - very...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Fabulous 4 night stay at the Banyan Tree Bangkok, we have stayed at 2 other Banyan Tree resorts and wondered how the city hotel would compare. Absolutely beautiful! Great location, a very relaxed and enjoyable environment. We stayed on the Club Floor and after checking in to our room we enjoyed complimentary drinks along with a 10 minute neck and shoulder massage overlooking the city. The room/suite was beautiful and well laid out, the choice of pillows was great, fruit basket daily and a selection of incense and oil with a burner was also a lovely Banyan Tree touch. The small gift each evening was very sweet. The bath was amazing with a selection of bubble bath/oils/salts which was great after a hectic day out in the city. Unfortunately the shower temperature was a little temperamental. Breakfast was delicious and the staff are very attentive throughout the Hotel. Cocktails at the Vertigo Bar is a must! cant wait to come back.

Room Tip: Club Floor Rooms are on the higher floors, access to the 19th floor lounge for both breakfast and ev...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2013

So being a banyan tree fan, stayed in at least 3-4 banyan tree hotels in different locations around SE Asia, I found this one to live up to all my expectations. Albeit with a few hiccups that I had not experienced with other banyan trees. Most notably was the restaurant services at vertigo restaurant. Initially we were supposed to fine at sirocco at Lebua sky tower as I wanted to take my girlfriend to the awesome bar there and dine at the wonderful classy atmosphere they had to offer. But since they were fully booked, we were recommended by the hotel staff to try vertigo, another popular award winning sky bar/ restaurant. Only to my dismay, we were seated right in the corner backing bare faced concrete with steel railings visible. And also with hardly a good view of Bangkok as it was blocked by the railings. The table still had some crumbs on it and the food definitely wasn't what I would expect from an award winning restaurant. The sword fish carpaccio seems like it had been kept in the fridge overnight and the lamb seemed to be a bit over cooked and stale as well. Needless to stay I would probably not be returning to this restaurant unless they can guarantee me a much better seating and a fresh menu. Furthermore, both of our first choices of meal were not available as they had been "sold out".... And their service was mediocre to say the least.

On a lighter note, for those of you reading this, banyan tree is still a wonderful hotel to stay in and I would 100% recommend it to anyone with the budget to stay here. I just won't be staying in the Bangkok one anymore solely because of the memory of the restaurant.

With that said, everything else, from the service and room quality and sleep quality, perfect!
Although there were hammering noises outside our room, very quiet hammering noises every morning from around 10am -12pm. Yes we like to sleep in. Ha ha.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Fabulous hotel. Stylish, clean, great customer service.
We stayed on club level. The room was clean, stylish, comfortable & well appointed. The drinks, lunch, snacks & cocktails throughout the day in the club lounge were excellent.
All the staff are welcoming, courteous &efficient
The bars are great, especially vertigo..
We wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

Room Tip: The upgrade to a club level room is good value, especially if you plan to have some snacks & a f...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Our recent stay at the Banyan Tree highlighted some of the characteristics that should make the hotel a desirable place to stay including a spacious and well appointed suite, gorgeous views from the Moon Bar, solid fitness facilities, and excellent advice from a staff member in the club lounge. Having said this, poor service on multiple occasions made what was supposed to be a memorable 10 year anniversary experience consistently more stressful than necessary. Among our complaints:
1) The hotel failed to respond to an email query around the need for reservations for a dinner included in our stay leaving us with impression reservations would not be required. When we arrived, we found we were unable to book dinner at Apsara the night we desired b/c the boat was fully reserved.
2) We waited for more than 25 minutes for drinks at the Moon Bar despite being the bar seeing minimal traffic on a Sunday night when alcohol was not being served due to gubernatorial elections.We eventually left drinkless after being informed multiple times are drinks were coming (which they subsequently never did).
3) The hotel did not advise us upon booking or afterwards that it could not serve alchohol the weekend of our stay due to local elections. While this restriction was outside of the hotel's control, as our reservation ostensibly included club access (evening cocktails) as well as complimentary drinks at the moon bar (downgraded to mocktails - which we never received), the value of our stay was less than advertised.
4) When we showed up for a reservation at Saffron, despite being dressed in attire that would have been deemed semi-formal (appropriate for a wedding in the States) my wife was told her footwear was inappropriate and we were forced to go back to our room to change. While a minor inconvenience, the fact that others in the restaurant were wearing t-shirts, sneakers, birkenstocks, etc., whereas my wife's more formal thong sandals were deemed flip flops due to their lack of a back strap immediately ruined the mood for what otherwise might have been an enjoyable dinner.
5) A service member chastised my wife for attempting to take food from what appeared to be an open buffet table at the club lounge. Unbeknownst to us, it was 5:29 and tea didn't start until 5:30.

Net, while some of the inconveniences were major (being shifted from Apsara to Saffron) and some were minor (having to change shoes), they all characterized a lack of tact and service that was inconsistent with what we would expect from a 4 or 5 star hotel such as the Banyan Tree. Together these experiences left us more than glad to leave behind us what we had previously expected would be a memorable conclusion to our weeklong anniversary celebration.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple