“Excellent Sukhothai!”

Ranked #33 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
france
“Excellent Sukhothai!”
Reviewed July 17, 2007

We stayed in Sukhothai for 2 nights after our trip in Koh Samui with my 2 children ages 8 and 1 year old. We were in the Executive Suite which was gorgeous!!! The bathroom is huge and very nice. Very good interieur. The service was excellent. We had dinner in Celadon and La Scala and both restaurants were soooo good. The Zuk bar is too quite though. The breakfast buffet was great....we've stayed in many 5 star hotels and this was the best breakfast buffet we've ever had. We got the hotel limousine from and to the airport which was worth every penny we paid for it...the hotel representative at the airport were so helpful. On our return flight, he helped us through the check in and let us pass through immigration very fast ( we did not even queu) through the diplomatic desk. I will surely recommend this great hotel to everyone who wants luxury in every sense of the word!!!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007
7 Thank davao

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We had a pretty much perfect stay at the Sukhothai, taking advantage of the Executive package which provided an Exec suite, free airport limo transfers, breakfast and internet access. We worked hard at trying to find fault with the wonderful suite and the worst we could find was that the fittings that secure the heavy drapes when open were nearly coming out of the wall. (Maintenance should secure these.)
The hotel's own website gives a pretty good idea of what to expect, and we weren't disappointed. Service was uniformly excellent. We didn't encounter any problems at all, and were delighted by the myriad of small touches, such as the daily fresh fruit selection with explanatory notes.
The location is not as convenient as other hotels in this city for certain tourist activities and shopping, but these are all a short taxi ride away, and the Skytrain is walking distance, albeit a non-trivial walk if the heat and humidity bother you.
Other than that, we enjoyed possibly the most comprehensive breakfast buffet we have seen anywhere (and we have seen quite a few), excellent food at Celadon (for a price, but in keeping with the standard and the ambience of this restaurant - and yes, you can get equally tasty food for a fraction of the price elsewhere in this foodie paradise of a city), the weekend chocolate buffet (yum), and, the surprise highlight: dinner at the Pool Terrace Cafe, which looked like an informal poolside cafe, but offered service and food of the same high standard as the pricier venues. If you want to sample some of the offerings from next-door La Scala, but, I presume, without the overheads, the Pool Cafe is hard to beat. It appeared that several of the dishes on the cafe menu were provided from the La Scala kitchen.
The only "problem" with this hotel was getting a reservation in the first place. I was unable to book online via the hotel's own website, and the e-mails I sent all bounced with a variety of error messages. I managed to book via the LHW website in the end, but even then, obtaining instructions for airport pickup, and making a reservation at Celadon in advance were a mission: in the end, faxing the hotel directly worked. There were times when I was sorely tempted to consider the Oriental instead, but in the end, I was glad I persisted, and would happily return here.

• Liked — Pretty much everything.
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank AntonyG
New York
Reviewed July 13, 2007

Have stayed at this hotel before and was truly impressed with the level of service. My most recent stay was a five day holiday. The rooms are still amazing; however, the overall experience was disappointing. The service was average at best. I had booked the "bed and breakfast" which included internet, breakfast, and gym access. On checkout charges for the internet and breakfast were on my bill. I had to show them my confirmation and print out of the package details to get the charges resolved. This just shouldn't occur in a five star hotel. I think the hotel has lost it luster.

• Liked — Room, gym and pool
  • Disliked — Service staff
  • Stayed July 2007
3 Thank nycm3
London
Reviewed July 5, 2007

Wonderful time in our three nights there. We stayed in late June as part of our honeymoon, and were bowled over by the level and quality of service.

The hotel itself was beautiful, but not so reserved as to dampen any atmosphere- all modern Thai style, with creams and teak predominating. Our room, deluxe studio with terrace, was spacious and overlooked the pool in a central courtyard. A bottle of champagne (Prosecco in fact) awaited as it was our honeymoon, and there were chocolates and fresh fruit, complimentary each day, as well as good quality Floris toiletries in the bathroom.

Any of our requests were carried out immediately- such as for ice buckets etc. and the staff were very helpful in general. The Celedon restaurant was very good, although not head and shoulders above subsequent Thai food that we ate, as might indicated by the prices.

The bar of the hotel was quite quiet, although we were visiting mid-week, but this seemed like the only place in Bangkok that could make a good gin Martini (including bars such as Vertigo at the Banyan tree and Distil at the state tower). All cocktails here were made accurately by the excellent bar staff.

Wonderful time overall and would not hesitate to recommend to friends.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Walkingape
Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Just had a 3 night stay again at The Sukhothai and was simply spoilt. Great hotel and its staff are the best in Bangkok, they never let me down. With its great gardens and choice of restaurants not to mention the pool I can just "chill" after a long and hectic busines trip. Ab Fab !!

• Liked — Spaciuos Bathrooms & Great Housekeeping
  • Disliked — reasonable walk to the lobby
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ELBA99
london, england
Reviewed May 19, 2007

Dont waist your time with this hotel. It is a three star, masked as a 5 star hotel. From check in to check out it was a complete nightmare. From the arrogance of the check in staff, to the lies from the Housekeeping manager.

I booked this hotel through asiarooms including breakfast for two for one night. At check in, the lady was arguing with me that it was a booking for 2 people, but only one for breakfast... not a good start... once that was overcome, enter the room, quite comfortable, but very small. The shower drain was broken in the bathroom. Being a so called 5 star hotel, we expected them to offer a free internet service, but no, they wanted to charge us £2 for 15 mins. We couldnt make use of any of the bars in the hotel as it was taken over by a delegation staying at the hotel. The breakfast selection for a 5 star hotel is extremely poor.

To top it all off, my wallet was stolen out of the hotel room by one of the housekeeping staff. When I reported this, the housekeeping manager and head of security came quite promptly, I explained the situation, they asked to search the room and declared the wallet wasnt in the room. We had to leave the hotel for the airport at this stage, I gave my contact information to the hotel. 15 mins into the journey to the airport, I recieve a call from the hotel to say my walet was discovered in the safe box. I know for a fact, me and my partner checked the safe twice and it was empty, I didnt argue at this stage as I was so relieved to have my wallet sent to me at the airport.

I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone, its cold, unfriendly and the staff steal valuables from the room.

• Liked — absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank matt25
London
Reviewed April 9, 2007

Can't fault the place, a sunning and beautiful oasis in the midst of busy Bangkok. Our room was gorgeous, the staff were all really friendly and helpful, the pool was open till 10pm, which was nice if you wanted a quick dip after a hot and sticky day in Bangkok. Fabulous breakfast, if you have a good appetite in the morning this is for you! Food in restaurants is quite pricey, especially compared to elsewhere in Bangkok, but you pay for great service and the ambiance.

(Tips: if you're in Bangkok for a short period go up the river to the Great Palace, then the Wat Pho temple - have a massage there, really good!!, make sure you go on one of the express or tourist boats, they are dead cheap (around 50p each way). The Suan Lum Night Bazaar is brilliant for cheap food, live music, souvenirs and cheap and trend clothes). For all trips make sure you hire a metered taxi and tell the driver to switch on the meter!)

• Liked — Very stylish, friendly staff
  • Disliked — pricey food
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple