“There's Sukhothai and there's everything else...”

The Sukhothai Bangkok
Ranked #33 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
New York City
“There's Sukhothai and there's everything else...”
Reviewed October 30, 2009

A frequent traveler to SE Asia as well as Europe, I am fortunate to have the opportunity to sample the hospitality industry in many places. When I am in Thailand the Sukhothai Hotel is my destination. I have stayed only in the suites in my travels there but hear the same kind of compliments about the other accomodations from acquaintences..

This is what 5-star is supposed to mean. To see what old-time European hotels were like you must go to SE Asia and Asia today. And nowhere is it done better than the Sukhothai. The welcome is gracious and succeeds in making you feel as though you are returning home. The service is seamless...mention a need to any staff and it gets delivered to the right party and acted on immediately. Staff is so solicitous you feel the need to urge them jai yen krub. Concierge comprehends quickly what you desire (not the case in many Bkk hotels) and makes it happen.

Housekeeping. Attention to detail is foremost and service is immaculate. It was a little unnerving the first time I returned to my suite and found my 15 or 20 toiletry items lined up like parade marchers on a white linen towel. When I said I wanted the kitchen equipped to allow me to do some cooking, a restaurant's worth of cutlery and equipment showed up within one hour.

Facilities. Gym is well equipped and staff will assist you in any way needed. No need to be concerned about how to use a piece of equipment...they will quietly demonstrate. If you are doing serious stretching and a staff member offer to assist, you may wish to consider that they will show you angles you did not know your body could achieve.

Pool. Just as gracious as the service. Plentiful supply of umbrellas, towels, complimentary bottles of water. Restaurants are accessible from the hotel wing or poolside...or right at your chaise for that matter. Thai food selection is authentic and not dumbed down to farang format....remember, "mai pet" means not hot (and also not Thai). Celedon restaurant on the hotel grounds rated one of the world's best by Gourmet Magazine.

Overall: If I want chrome and glass I can stay in NYC. This hotel embodies the Thai/Buddhist concept of right action, right effort, right attention, right mindedness. Perhaps needs a few more amenities for children, but the ones i see there seem very happy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
7 Thank WorldView18

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Flawless service. Stylish and very comfortable rooms. Great food. Wonderful staff. Very reasonable price for what you get.

Have stayed at Hyatt, Oriental, Four Seasons, and more mid-market. Not in the same category as the Sukhothai.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Intrepid88
Nice
Reviewed September 30, 2009

I get to Bangkok at least once a year on business, and over the years have stayed in most of the top-notch hotels there. My favorite, and where I always book without hesitation, is The Sukhothai. It is very well located for business travellers. I have always stayed in a Garden Suite, so cannot judge the other room categories. The Garden Suites are superbly decorated and I think in all my years travelling I have never seen a larger or more beautiful bathroom (although I could do with fewer mirrors that seem to reflect every body imperfection ad infinitum!). The hotel’s Celadon Restaurant is expensive but I keep going back – the grilled prawns are out of this world!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank clmxi
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed September 25, 2009

The Sukhothai is an excellent hotel, superb facilities from start to finish. I was really late getting out of the stupid BKK airport, and the airport pick-up guy was extremely patient and waited for more than an hour. I had previously seen the Sukhothai but never stayed in it, and I was glad i did. The lobby is excellent....the only drawback was that my room was really far from the elevators. it was quite a walk. otherwise, no complaints at all...the rooms are excellent...very good amenities..F&B is excellent and the location is super. stay stay stay!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — location of some rooms
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank andyph
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Just got back from a night in the Sukhothai and thought I would write it up as it's the first time I have been back since joining TripAdvisor but I have been going since at least 1995 and always love it. What I noticed/realised this time is that although it hasn't changed inside since I first started going, it has been maintained very well, so it is still in top condition and the styling hasn't dated. I have also stayed in the Oriental and the Hyatt in Bangkok when others are doing the booking but if it's down to me, I would not stay anywhere but the Sukhothai. I have stayed for business, with my partner and with my mother (separately!) and it's always great. First is the fact that for a central location, it is incredibly open, airy and garden-like. I think it's max. about 5 storeys high and most of the hotel is structured around various pond-like courtyards with airy corridors. The rooms are beautiful, with lots of wood and silk, and definitely have a Thai feel about them. The bathrooms are large. Celadon, the Thai restaurant, isn't cheap, but is good. The breakfast restaurant is excellent. The pool is good for a city hotel as it's a simple, large lap pool with lots of loungers. Although it isn't the most convenient location for a tourist (I am guessing it would be better to be on the river - which smells) there is an MRT station nearby at Lumphini which makes life a bit easier. We went to Bed Supper Club for dinner, on Soi 11 off Sukhumvit and it was about 15 mins/70bt/US$2 in cab, which is fine. Staff, as is usual in Thailand, are lovely.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FSHK
San Jose, CA
Reviewed June 20, 2009

The staff was exceptionally helpful/polite. The facilities at sukhothai were great (restaurants, bar, spa). Decor was elegant. The best aspect of the hotel though was the rooms - they were huge with incredible bathrooms/dressing rooms. And besides being huge, the rooms were also very tasteful. The everlasting bowl of chocolates in the room was also a nice touch. I had stayed here on a second bangkok leg of a thailand vacation. We stayed at the madarin oriental for the first leg and while nice, the sukhothai blew it away. The only small complaint I would have is that the location of the hotel is not quite as good as the oriental. But I have no reservations strongly recommending this hotel to anyone looking for a luxurious, relaxing stay in bangkok.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rich1212
Newport Beach, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,220 helpful votes
Reviewed May 21, 2009

My partner and I recently returned from a 2 week holiday in Indonesia, after which we had a 2 night stay in Bangkok on our way home to the USA. (For reference, we stayed at Amanjiwo, Amankila, Amanwana, and Amanusa while in Indonesia--feel free to see reviews.) Typically, we have stayed in suites at Four Seasons, Ritz Carleton, Mandarin Oriental, and comparable properties, particularly when in cities. We found the Sukhothai to be absolutely sensational--beautiful property, extraordinary service, great style, and a nice suite. Its location off the river was not an issue at all for me, even though it was my first visit to Bangkok; I enjoyed its quiet location.

The hotel's public spaces really are amazing. I like a contemporary sensibility, so the Sukhothai really impressed me. The decor was a very clean, contemporary interpretation of Thai style, and I found it elegant and impressive while not being busy or gauche. The bar area, and the outside bar area, in particular, I thought were truly spectacular. The lobby and other spaces really made me feel like I was in an oasis.

Our suite was wonderfully sized--a nice entry hallway with bath, a nicely sized living room, and nicely sized bedroom, and a quite large bathroom. We overlooked the lovely courtyard below. The A/C worked VERY well, which I absolutely require to be comfortable--I must have had it near 15 C at most! My only issue at all with our stay was the decor in the room, particularly in the big bathroom, was a little too "Vegas" for my taste, due in large part because of the large number of mirrors. Otherwise, we were very, very happy with our room.

Service was extraordinary. I hadn't even brought a pair or pants having spent 2 weeks in hot and humid Indonesia, so I didn't bother even though we had 2 nights in Bangkok. The hotel was very gracious in this regard, even though I was a bit underdressed compared to the rest of the guests I saw. I asked if it would be OK, and everyone was quick to say I would be fine. All in all, I felt quite comfortable. We also had an A/C problem in the Italian restaurant on our 2nd night, and since I got too hot, I asked if they could move our meal back to our room--which they did without hesitation. I had expected them to offer us a discount on the meal because of the disruption, but that never happened. When I asked about that at the front desk the following morning, the representative was only too happy to give us a 25% discount because of the hassle. With every request, we found the hotel staff to be wonderfully gracious and accommodating.

Dining was wonderful, as well. Despite the glitch with the A/C in the Italian restaurant I mentioned above, we were very pleased with our dining experiences at the hotel. Since I didn't want to deal with the heat, we ate most meals at the hotel (except for lunch at the Peninsula and high tea at the Oriental, see below). Our 1st night we dined at the Thai restaurant, and its decor was lovely, and our meals were excellent. The breakfast buffet at the Sokhothai might be the most impressive spread we've seen in a decade (perhaps equaliing or surpassing the St. Regis Monarch Beach near us in California that we last enjoyed almost 10 years ago). It was set out in perfect fashion, with each item being clearly labeled so there was no confusion. They had almost everything, too, that we could want. And our last dinner, at the Italian restaurant, was great food. It was a shame we had to move, in fact, because we loved the atmosphere of the place the most!

For fun, we had also toured around the Peninsula where we also had lunch, and similarly toured around the Oriental where we had afternoon tea. Both hotels were very gracious in offering us a chance to see their suites so we could compare them to the Sukhothai for future visits to Bangkok. The Peninsula shares a similar contemporary sensibility that we both enjoy, though I still might prefer the Sukhothai because of its size, because its not a chain hotel, etc. My partner, if we return to Bangkok, would likely prefer the Peninsula simply because he loved the river views and just being close tot the river. We leave it to you to ascertain what might be a bigger priority for you. As for the Oriental, we could only see a junior suite, but that was enough--the design sensibility of the hotel just isn't for us at all. The service was extraordinary, as expected, and I'm sure the Oriental offers a great stay. But we didn't like it. Too formal for us, too proper, too gauche in its design, etc. On the other hand, it was obvious that the Oriental was almost full, whereas the Peninsul and Sukhothai clearly had far more rooms/suites available--which does say something, I suppose! Still, for the same money, I'll take the Sukhothai or the Peninsula. And the Oriental not surprisingly cost significantly more.

Bangkok was also a surprise. What a wonderful city. We expected a dirty, pollution-ridden city with ridiculous heat and humidity. Instead, we just found the ridiculous heat and humidity! We found Bangkok to be a very friendly, enchanting city, massive in some ways and neighborhood-y feeling in others. Great shopping, lovely temples, and a big city all mixed together. We felt very safe, too.

If we were to return to Bangkok, we would be thrilled to stay at the Sukhothai again. if it were my choice, it would be the Sukhothai for sure. If I take my partner's interest in river views, though, we might consider the Peninsula. Both are worthy choices and less expensive options to the Oriental, even though we can afford it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple