“I do not recommend the Sukhothai Hotel in Bangkok”

The Sukhothai Bangkok
Ranked #33 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
San Francisco
“I do not recommend the Sukhothai Hotel in Bangkok”
Reviewed September 9, 2008

It is to my dismay, that such a hotel with a five star reputation does not know how to handle our situation. I have sent my email, pasted below, to the General Manager twice and have not had a response from anyone. I do not recommend this Hotel.

"Dear Sir/Madam,

From July 3rd to the 8th we were guests in your hotel. The reservations were made under my partner's name: C. Burry. I am writing this email to you to give you our feedback about our stay. All would have been most pleasant but one incident with your head concierge on our first full day and I don't remember his name.

My partner and I visited your country to celebrate our anniversary. On our way out the morning after our arrival, I stopped by the concierge desk. I encountered the head concierge and asked him if he could recommend some restaurants for my partner and I to celebrate our anniversary that evening. My partner was not present at this time and the head concierge mentioned at the most two restaurants. After that, my partner Collin came by the concierge desk and we asked about the restaurants he recommended and there was literally a halt/silence. He couldn't or wouldn't answer our question, perhaps because we are both men. We had our own lists of restaurants and started asking about them as well and we could not get any description/recommendation or any information at all whatsoever. We were waiting for his comments but to no avail. After leaving the desk with our dinner reservations unresolved and discussing what has happened, this led us to think that he might be homophobic.

-He was not engaging;
-Couldn't recommend any restaurants other than the two he mentioned;
-Wouldn't offer to make reservations;
-Not knowledgeable of restaurants, fine dining no less;
-Could not get a word, explanation or recommendation out of him;
-Would not make eye contact or felt he avoided us days after the fact.

How we know he is your head concierge is because of your Front Desk Manager. While we were having breakfast at Colonnade we saw and talked to her about the situation. Your Front Desk Manager politely apologized for your head concierge's behavior. She mentioned that he has been ill for the past month and maybe that was the issue. If that's the case, then he should take some time off. Nonetheless, we are paying top rates at a luxury hotel that supposedly has one of the best service and that is what we expected. For someone who has two Clefs d'Or pins on his jacket lapel and being the head concierge, the title is certainly not befitting. The Front Desk Manager graciously made dinner reservations for us for the next 3 days.

Since this all happened, we never used the concierge services except at night when we knew he was not at the desk. That should not be the guests feeling at all. What's suppose to be inviting turned out to be not. My partner and I are very reasonable, simple, savvy people and give the benefit of the doubt. However, I just want you to know so you can rectify or clarify what has happened. I happen to be in the Sales/Service Industry and client service, retention and referral is certainly on top of my list. We all learn and try to better our service and it is through these circumstances that we grow.

We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you."

Milko Encinas, Realtor
San Francisco, CA

Stayed July 2008
10 Thank MilkoSanFrancisco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2008

This hotel has been recommended by friends - it is right in the heart of the city and is truly exceptional for the service - we were collected from the airport by limo and checked straight into our room which had been upgraded to a Deluxe Terrace Suite. The rooms are in need of a little upgrade (maintenance wise only) to be truly international 5* but they are still fantastic - our room had iPod system and a great flat screen TV. The bathrooms are massive and marble. Housekeeping can be requested at the touch of a button on your phone and they come immediately to service your room (same for laundry, etc). The Zuk Bar does great cocktails. Breakfast is stunning with a huge selection and faultless service. The pool also has superb service and a great warm but refreshing dip. There is little pollution in the hotel area due to the lovely plants and gardens. The Thai restaurant in the hotel complex is stunning as well as a good Italian. Thai massage in the Spa Botanica is out of this world. I only wish my 3 day stay could extend forever....

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ukn1reviewer
Singapore
Reviewed July 9, 2008

I just came back from a 4 night stay at the Sukhothai and enjoyed the experience.

SERVICE
The service was consistently excellent, from the point I stepped into the hotel lobby to the point of departure. The front desk staff seemed genuinely friendly and warm, and made me and my fiance feel welcome and comfortable.

When I went into the gym, the gym staff immediately handed me a work-out towel, bottle of water and earphones for the television sets with a warm smile. The same excellent service continued to the pool area, where the friendly staff helped me set up my deck chair, and in a split second, also brought me a chilled glass with crushed ice and a bottle of water.

The great staff also made the effort to make conversation and ask how your day was, and where you were heading etc. It was a comfortable stay.

Room service was prompt and efficient. Just give them a call and they'll be up at your room quicker than you'd expect.

HOTEL ROOM
The hotel room is a bit old fashioned - think heavy colours and lots of wood. Nothing too spectacular - nice luxurious bed with nice sheets (no bedbug problem at all!) and different types of pillows (soft, medium and hard) for you to choose from.

The TV is a B&O system, quite a small screen but a pretty posh set up with sounds that dim off rather than just shutting off. Same for the automatically dimming lights too.

GYM AND POOL
The gym is well equipped with sophisticated equipment. The tv sets on the wall with 5 or 6 channels for you to tune into helped reduce the monotony of the workout. It was pretty quiet during the two times I was there.

The pool is lovely, and surprisingly, during the 2 times I was there, I was just one of the two or three guests there. (I went on Tuesday and Wednesday late mornings) It looked a bit more crowded on the weekend (maybe 10 guests?) but nothing like the over-crowded pools that some hotels suffer from. Perhaps this is because the guests seem to be business men / women who need to be at work on weekdays.

LOCATION
It's not near any BTS station (except Lumpini station which is a different underground line) so I had to take a cab everywhere I went. WIthout a jam, it would take me about 12 minutes to get to Siam Paragon, and the fare would be about 40+ Baht.

It's neighbours with Banyan Tree, so this means you can walk over to have a late night drink at the gorgeous Vertigo bar :)

It is also relatively close to the Suan Lum night market. It would take an unhurried 15 minutes to walk there, but you can always cop out and take a cab (this would take you 5 minutes).

• Liked — Great service, warm and comfortable, almost like a favourite pair of jeans!
  • Disliked — Decor is a little old fashioned and heavy. Location is more suited for business travellers.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank PlasticTrees
toscana
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Probabily one of the best city hotel to the world. For the second time to the Sukho in deluxe room.In truth does not seem to stay at Bangkok.
The hotel is all style zen minimalist. Large pool and very nice restaurant, The celadon is suberb. The hotel is pratically an oasis in a chaotic city.

• Liked — Lifestyle
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lavazzaToscana
London
Reviewed June 28, 2008

Having stayed in most of the fancy 5 star Bangkok this hotel is outstanding in every aspect. Starting with the breakfast buffet, the selection is great and they have decent coffee. Situated in the business district it is in the centre of town close to Sukumvit and a decent location for exploring. The hotels on the river make the prospect of being stuck in traffic a daily chore. I have stayed a few times and always had a lovely room. The pool and gym and great and the staff always lovely.
Its a great oasis in the middle of a huge dirty city, you will not want to leave!

• Liked — the pool and food
  • Disliked — its all good
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Aaron A
Como, Italy
Reviewed May 13, 2008

I just spent a long week end in Bangkok at the Sukhothai hotel. This hotel is beautiful, low rise, with amazing details everywhere, wonderful food and superb service. The pool is really nice as well as the gym and the spa. We were upgraded to a deluxe suite and the bathroom was as big if not nore big that the bedroom itself!! every afternoon we found chocolates in the room and the service was really fantastic. Breakfast was excellent, great buffet with lots of food. I would go back any time.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing at all.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Betty65
New York, NY
Reviewed March 10, 2008

We stayed at the Sukhothai in Bangkok thinking it would be a fantastic location and a luxurious place to retire after a long day and night of touring the city.

ERRONEOUS! Although the service was sub-par and the room was poor with no view and a couple of queen beds pushed together, that wasn't even that bad.

After a day and night out in the city we came back to a funky odor and a fogger plugged into the wall. we went to sleep, too exhausted to call the front desk that wouldn't hear our complaints earlier in the day. During the night someone actually tried to open the door and retrieve the device. Like we didn't notice the thing sitting by the door on the way in the room!!!

Two months later...we have an infestation of bedbugs. Yeah, it could be another one of the hotels we stayed at, but the fogger has me convinced that they knew and didn't tell us.

We left the next day and will never return. I recommend you skip this place and avoid finding out the horror that is sleeping with bedbugs.

• Liked — The decor around the ground floor elevator and the courtyard
  • Disliked — BEDBUGS
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple