“Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!”

The Sukhothai Bangkok
Ranked #27 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
“Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Every aspect of our stay far exceeded our expectations from check-in all the way to delivering our luggage to the check-in counter @ the airport. As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by smiles and addressed by our names (how they knew who we were still baffles me) then taken on a tour before taking us up to our room where we were given another tour of the room and how everything worked ie. light switches, how to operate coffee machine, cupboard for stemware, whom to call for what and how, etc. before checking us in (in the room). Before the staff member left, we asked about Celadon (best Thai food rest in Bangkok) and she quickly asked when we wanted to have dinner and took care of making the reservations. After she left, we noticed that there were fresh chocolate truffles and a basket full of exotic fruit for us which, throughout our stay (4 nights), was refreshed every day. After unpacking, we headed down to the bar for a pre-dinner drink and ordered our typical grey goose martini's (straight up, really shaken, with a twist) and that's exactly what we got (The bartenders at the rooftop bar at Lebua have a little learning to do). After our drinks, we headed to the restaurant and it was AMAZING! We had the fixed course and their wine list was extensive, wines from all over the world. After an amazing meal, we decided to have an after dinner drink and went back to the bar. The bar was perfect since it was never crowded, great music, comfortable furniture, and the staff always attentive. Getting up the next morning was difficult since the bed was amazingly comfy and the down pillows were perfect (not too soft w/the perfect amount of fill and no, we weren't hungover). We went downstairs for breakfast and was pleasantly surprised with the variety and quality of food. Options to suit many differing tastes from typical American bacon & eggs to European breads, jams, a variety of cheeses, dim sum, curries, miso soup, noodles, fresh fruit, juices, coffees, espressos, an omelet stand, etc. went back to the room to get ready for the day and as we were making our way to the lobby to meet our guide, we were first greeted by staff to let us know our guide was already in the lobby waiting for us (again, how did they know since we arranged for our guide privately and not through the concierge). The next day was my birthday (not one to make a big fuss over it) and carried on with our day as usual. When we got back, we asked the concierge to make reservations at Lebua for dinner, but the earliest was @ 10pm (that wasn't going to work since we've spent half the day in a car to go ride elephants). He quickly recommended Breeze, which is a few floors below (57th floor, i think) and took care of reservations and also arranged car service. When we got to the room, there was a handwritten card and a birthday cake complete with a candle and matches! I don't remember ever giving them my birthday, but must have took note when I handed them my passport at check-in. We got ready and came back down and again greeted by name and escorted to a waiting car. After dinner, the car was waiting and took us back. The next day, staff members addressed us by name and wanted to know whether or not we enjoyed our dinner @ Lebua?! Just a quick reminder, the morning staff and evening staff are different. It's almost as if a staff meeting goes on before every shift to go over which guests are doing what. We enjoyed another 2 days of fantastic service and was not looking forward to leaving. On the day of departure, we reserved car service to the airport and did not lay a finger on our luggage from the moment we closed them to the moment it was on the baggage carousel @ the airport. Staff loaded the car, was driven to the airport where we were greeted by a hotel staff member that then wheeled our luggage to the airport check-in counter. All-in-all, we enjoyed the experience so much that we are looking forward to coming back in a few months.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ajalmazan
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you very much for providing your time in writing this impressive review for The Sukhothai Bangkok.

It is really a great pleasure to know that our team work in every section of the hotel is so appealing to our customers and we are really pleased that you have enjoyed every single moment of your staying at The Sukhothai Bangkok and that all of our attention to detail made you feel like home.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in a few months.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

One of my favorite hoteals in Bangkok. Not too close to the central areas but close enough. The italian restaurant is simply amazing and overall experience at the hotel was at a very high standard. Had a pool facing room and used the gym regulalry. Staff is very attentive and anything I needed I got it quick

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of your great experience at The Sukhothai Bangkok.

We are very delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your staying with us and that our facilities and staff made you feel so impressed.

We are looking forward on acommodating you again soon.

Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Had lunch by the pool at the Sukhothai Hotel on Saturday and I can't begin to say what a disaster it was. If I wasn't there as someones guest I would have just walked away.
The waiters spent the time standing inside ignoring people outside and our table looked straight on to one of the messiest service areas I have seen in a hotel.
My bowl of soup noodle arrived luke warm and had been sitting for so long that the noodles had soaked up all the soup and just become mush and thus no soup. And the price was skyhigh. Of the 4 people at out table 3 dishes were left uneaten and no question was asked by the wait staff.
When the wait staff were asked what was the selection of ice cream and sorbets on the menu the answer, after along pause was, Vanilla.!!! and that's it.
I don't know what was such a good place to have lunch by the pool has allowed to become so bad. Obviously the head waiter and restaurant manager doesn't care.
This is ana avoid at all cost venue.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank pemblin
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Beyond the heart of Bangkok, a beautiful hotel with refined design and lush gardens, a quiet place to rest and cool.The room was very comfortable and with a nice view. Staff is very welcoming and the restaurants are varied and of high-quality.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for very much for your positive review for us on Trip Advisor.

We are truly delighted to see that all of our facilities and services made you feel so comfortable and pleased.

Thank you for choosing the Sukhothai Bangkok.

We are looking forward on acommodating you again soon.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Firstly, let me start by saying that I have stayed in the Sukhothai Hotel on my every visit to Bangkok since 2006. The hotel, the rooms, staff and general ambiance makes this hotel one of my favourites in the world. However, today, everything changed.

I held my company AGM here, with 3 of my executives. We had 4 suites and have been here 5 nights. Rooms were sensational, and as expected. We were on first name terms with the staff after one day. We booked a table for the renowned Sunday Brunch. The food looked sensational. However, both myself and my colleague had the chicken wrapped in banana leaf. It was our first plate of food. Unfortunately, my colleague had already swallowed half his chicken as I put mine into my mouth, and then we both realised it was raw. I managed to spit mine out.

I called the waiter over and showed her, whom the called one of the serving chefs. He apologised and acknowledged that it was raw. I then asked to speak to the head Chef, Anthony Scholtmeyer, who again acknowledged that the chicken was raw, apologised, and then advised that we should not feel any affects as they use a high grade of chicken. He said that Sunday Brunch is very busy and the turn around of food in the kitchens is quick, I was pretty astounded by this and advised that maybe they should slow down on the chicken and let it cook more. My colleague left and went to his room as he already felt like vomiting, which he has subsequently done 3 more times.
At the point of writing this email, my stomach is doing cartwheels :(

I explained to the Executive chef, Assistant to the Director of Food and beverage, head waitress and the Hotel Duty manager that we leave on our flights this evening back to London for important meetings tomorrow. Which, of course, we are now dreading.

The worst part of all this, I just spoke to the Hotel Duty Manager on the phone from the room, and now they are pretty much denying we ate raw chicken, saying that no one else has complained. They are simply not acknowledging this. To add insult to injury, they offered a 20% discount on the table bill which was a set price, even though we only ate in effect a starter.

Believe me, this is not about money, the bill was only 13,000 bht (260 GBP) for lunch, but to be dealt with in this way by the hotel, to be told that in not so many words, we are lying about the raw chicken being served, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth (pardon the pun), and one that will make me NEVER stay at this hotel, nor recommend to my friends and associates again.

Very shocked, disappointed and mostly upset that they would do this to a very loyal patron of theirs. The next time they will hear from me is from my lawyers should either myself or colleague take a turn for the worse, especially on our business class flights home to London.

Room Tip: The executive suites are PERFECT.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank redwallguy
Dear Guest,

We acknowledge your posting on Trip Advisor and rest assured that your feedback is being addressed by the team.
We will contact you directly as it relates to your experience at The Sukhothai and hope that we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I've been staying at this hotel for close to 10 years. I've previously stayed at a few of the other top hotels, but The Sukhothai is by far the best.
The design is extremely nice...
The rooms are very spacious...
The staff is amazing...
I can't say enough about the concierge, they are the most helpful and knowledgeable that I have ever dealt with.
The breakfast buffet is also the best, the staff is so nice and they always remember who you are and if you have any special needs.
I can go on and on about this great hotel....
The entire hotel staff makes your stay so enjoyable.
I can't wait to return....

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Brian41165
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all let us thank you for choosing The Sukhothai Bangkok for your stay every time you are in Bangkok.
We would also like to thank you for all the wonderful things you wrote about the hotel. It is a great pleasure for us to see that every single facility and member of the staff has made you feel so comfortable and relaxed.

We cannot wait to accommodate you again soon.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We spent four days in Bangkok to have a break from the routine. Sukhothai is not a large hotel and that suits us most. We spent most of the time resting in the hotel. The food is excellent. I spent the mornings by the poolside, sunbathing, swimming or reading a book. All the staff are friendly and offer assistance promptly. One may ask why not go to a resort but Bangkok has the attraction of the good restaurants and shopping malls. In the nearby Sala Deng distract you can find some good restaurants, shopping mall and the night market. they are all within walking distance. The nearby Lumphini Park is also wonderful to have a stroll in the morning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wun Tong L
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing your time to share your impressions for The Sukhothai Bangkok.

Reading your review we see that we reach our goal of helping our customers relax and escape their routine in an oasis in the heart of Bangkok. We are really glad to see that your staying was pleasant and that you enjoyed every service that we provide.

We are soon looking forward to your next visit to The Sukhothai Bangkok.