“Consistently excellent”

Ranked #27 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Singapore, Singapore
“Consistently excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I am a regular visitor to Bangkok on business, usually staying at the Sukothai - and the standards have never slipped below excellent. Above all, the staff are unfailingly courteous and welcoming - it feels like coming home. It isn't the newest hotel in the city, but it is at the top of the range in terms of sheer class - and when renovated, this is done with style and immense attention to detail. On occasional visits for holiday, the leisure facilities measure up to the rest.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BrandaneBangkok
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time writing a review on Trip Advisor. It’s always a pleasure to receive wonderful compliments from our regular guests especially on the consistent hotel standard and the quality of the service from our staff.

Look forward to welcome you back again in your future return to Bangkok.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Sukhothai is a beautiful oasis in the centre of Bangkok. Despite its age, the hotel looks and feels fresh and elegant. The beautifully appointed rooms are set in surprisingly large grounds a stone's throw from the action of the city. The service is thoughtful and the food is very good. The desserts in particular were outstanding. The hotel is expensive, but it delivers a luxury experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad to learn that you had a wonderful time exploring our property and impressed by our accommodation and the service of our staff. We also thrilled to hear great compliments on the food quality which we will share them to our culinary team.

Look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

A fantastic hotel, tucked away from the main road, but in perfect location. All the facilities and luxury of a five star hotel but with unexpected personal touches, friendly and knowledgeable staff and a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere that is hard to find in most high end accommodation.

Spent only two nights but made to feel like the most important guests of the year! No sign of any ageing decor or sloppiness as mentioned in reviews of earlier this year.

Would definitely return, and recommend to anyone visiting the area. A higher price tag than some but if you see a deal online, jump on it. Well worth it.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time writing this impeccable review on Trip Advisor. We are truly glad to learn that our hotel facilities, location and the attentive staff members with personal touch have delivered the memorable stay to you.

We look forward to your return to The Sukhothai Bangkok on your next Bangkok visit.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed six nights in May as second part of a holiday in the region. Always wanted to stay here and overall not disappointed at all, but a small number of fixable niggles. At first check in was not the smoothest, I was travelling with friends, we had two separate rooms, there was one other couple at check-in already and the reception team seemed a tiny bit thrown (though I know that couldn't have been the case surely) at handling one-party two bookings, kept my friends standing rather than checking them in seperately at another station, and then asking them for their booking vouchers over my head. A shaky start, but then boom, they got into gear and hey presto told us pre-arrangements had been confirmed, also confirmed room upgrades to deluxe studios which was a lovely treat, and we were escorted to our rooms to finish the check-in formalities, the rest of which went off completely without a hitch.

The really good parts the stay:
Excellent room, lots of space and beautifully finished.
F&B operation is right on the button - Always excellent/exceptional quality food, drinks. We did the chocolate buffet twice and Celadon the Thai restaurant three times - Not surprising really as every visit to Bangkok, where-ever I've stayed I've always visited the Sukhothai for both of these culinary treats!
F&B serving team - These ladies and gentlemen are the 'gems set in the crown' of the hotel - Personable, friendly, enthusiastic, helpful, always professional. Every one of them. Especial mention to the restaurant managers at the Colonnade who always made the one rate-inclusive meal of the day still a major dining occasion, with strong efforts to make the guest feel special - Each day there was a good recommendation or a clever suggestion, and after the first day these ladies always used my name. Exceptional. But I won't forget to mention the manager and team at the weekend chocolate buffet, or the manager and team at Celadon either - Everybody was First Class. Bravo.
Big pool - Good for sun most of the day on the far side until around 4pm.
On the 2nd day the in-room robes were supplemented by an over-sized fluffy version to fit my *ahem* larger frame - The thoughtfulness was much appreciated!
Birthday cake for my birthday - Thank you Sukhothai!

The odd parts of the stay:

Cleaning schedule in the hotel grounds - I found it strange to come back from dinner or post-dinner drinks at 10.30 to find people wet-wiping tiled floors or vacuuming hallways - I've never seen this sort of activity taking place at those sort of times before. Not begrudging anybody who doesn't need to work ungodly hours, but frankly that kind of activity shouldn't take place in front of guests during normal guest hours, which in a (Bangkok) city-centre hotel is probably start of breakfast to midnight perhaps? Those having to work in unair-conditioned parts would often also take their jackets off because of the heat - Again, not begrudging anybody doing their job (and the answer isn't to insist they keep their jackets on whilst doing manual labour in 31c heat...) but it can't be helpful image-wise, where a high-end hotel might want to create an illusory environment of effortless elegance to continue to attract existing and new high-end guests (OR - people like me who want a little bit of escapism on their holidays!).

So it looks like a maintainence schedule might start at some point methinks, on certain parts of the hotel anyway -
1) The lobby corridor carpet looked a bit tired,
2) My room toilet at first refused to flush which could have been embarrassing, and then after it was fixed it refused to stop flushing. Then both times the engineer who came didn't replace/report back that one of the bathroom lightbulbs needed replacing - Just an oversight but the devil's in the details and all that.
3) My adjustable shower head was also broken but by this stage I'd had enough of the in-room plumbing (pt2) and let it be.
4) My friend's room had a chaise comprising a chair and footstool, my identical room only had the chair part - I assume the footstool was damaged or in for repairs and simply not replaced - Minor issue esp as I was single occupancy in the room, but I'd have liked to put my feet up sometimes when eating my bananas!
5) Pool area - the wooden sun-bed frames were starting to show the wear-and-tear of Bangkok weather, still perfectly usable but image-wise faded varnish and worn edges don't encourage a sense of "luxe" - I spotted a couple of new and modern-looking sunbeds tucked away in a corner, I'm assuming they are being road-tested perhaps with the view of replacing the current stock?
6) Pool area pt2 - Probably nothing can be done, but the multi-story carpark next to the pool is rather an eye-sore. Flight of fantasy here, but could arrangements be made with the owners of it to maybe construct wooden lattice work or some other decorative fix, up the first 6 stories of that side of the building? Also, as a guy I was fine with it, but one of my (female) travelling companions said she found it a little uncomfortable to have 2-4 men spending a prolonged period of time gawping down at the pool area from the car-park - they usually appeared whenever there were a few ladies at the pool...

Overall, I would recommend the Sukhothai - It's an exceptional and beautiful property with enthusiastic and professional staff and the hotel has given me many happy memories to return home with!

Room Tip: The deluxe studios are delightful, if going for one of these ask for room numbers ending maybe 4 or...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gorpalm
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Gorpalm,

Thank you very much for staying at The Sukhothai Bangkok and I truly appreciate your time posting the review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you were overall enjoying your stay here, particularly with the Room set up, Food & Beverage dining experience and service, as well as the attention to details that our team had done a remarkable job in delighting your with the bathrobe set up, birthday cake and etc.

On the other hand I am also thankful to your comments and suggestions made to the maintenance of the hotel with the wooden sunbed at the pool and the guestroom corridor; please note that this is also on our plan to address this matter. With regards to the cleaning schedule, it is also a normal practice for our team to perform the deep cleaning duty during night time to minimize the impact to other guests during day time.

We certainly appreciate your feedback as we never stop improving and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Best regards,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Every part of this hotel is marked by thoughtful care and service. The aesthetics are beautiful, and the grounds create a wonderful respite from the heat and noise that are fun to enjoy in Bangkok (and also good to escape). The staff are warm and service driven - they know what you need before you ask. I've come as a solo traveler and always felt very taken care of.

The breakfast buffet is my favorite and I always plan to take my time and enjoy the morning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience at The Sukhothai Bangkok on Trip Advisor.

We are truly appreciated your compliments on overall beauty of the hotel, service and staff attitude. If you have a chance to return to Bangkok, please do consider to stay at The Sukhothai Bangkok again.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I very much enjoyed the stay in this hotel. Staff is very friendly and helpful (especially the concierge who also gives you great advice if you are looking for "street food"), check-in and check-out very fast and painless, service genereally outstanding and very friendly, the rooms are very tasteful and big. We had the deluxe room which I thought was completly sufficient if you are not looking for a suite. I can highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a quiet hotel with luxury.
The swimming pool is a nice area to relax and service there is also really good.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at The Sukhothai Bangkok on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that our hotel facilities and the staff members have delivered the memorable stay to you.

If you have a chance, please come to visit us again in the near future.

Asia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I came here for a weekend with the family. We had stayed at the all-suite Banyan Tree next door and that had just underwhelmed us.

This is an intentionally under-stated hotel. The first impression is that of an oasis indeed. The kind of place where people talk in whispers and yet can be heard. It's set back from busy Sathorn Road so it's unbelievably calm and quiet. Even the entrance is under stated so that some taxi drivers almost overshoot it.

You are greeted by hotel staff clad in traditional Thai bloomer-type pants. You sit down to check-in. (Rule #7 in hotel check-in: Any place where you sit down typically has higher rates.)

My wife got a good rate and we ended up in the 76 sq m deluxe suite. There is a small lobby, a living room, a second toilet, the masterbedroom, and then a bathroom that in overall area is larger than the bedroom. There are two sink areas (not sinks but sink areas) with his on the right and hers on the left. A cushion bench in the middle divides them. There is a bathtub, a shower area, a covered toilet area, and then open space for clothes. This is luxurious as condos are touting "spacious" one-bedroom of 45 sq m.

There was plenty of bottled water, a Nespresso machine and a basket of fruits that was topped up. Oh, and there were two TVs with two sets of Bose audio systems.

The only complaints about the place: the mattress was too soft and I ended up with mild backaches on return. The bathroom had a tiny shelf space for shampoo and scrub.

The gym was pretty well equipped with aerobics and weight machines and even one bosu ball. A couple of kettlebells would have made it complete.

The spa--from the Spa Botanica brand--is not cheap but the masseuse is really professional. She was sweating at the end of the two-hour hard-pressure session.

The Celadon restaurant serves one of the best Thai food I have ever had. The tom-yam soup was excellent, with a jumbo prawn (not shrimp, please) that was laden with roe. When you crack the shell, the roe oozed out and thickened the soup. Clever. And delicious. Yes, it's all somewhat pricey but well worth going for.

We also tried an afternoon tea that for us had the chocolate buffet. The real foodie among us praised the creme brulee as "the best ever". The sashimi somehow came across as not so fresh. But the scones (you need to order) were first rate.

Breakfast was very good. This is not a large hotel so do not expect a very wide spread. It has the usual omelette and bread stations. But there is enough variety to please, Chinese, Japanese and Western palates.

The only downside to the hotel overall may be its location. It's 500m to the Lumpini MRT but in the hot sun, you would be just about fainting when you reach the station. Having said that taxi fares were normally less than US$3 to get to just about any mall.

All in all, it was an exceptional weekend. Relaxing, served hand and foot by competent professional staff. If you have some funds to splurge, go for it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management, thank you for taking your valuable time writing this inspiring review.

We are always delighted to hear such great feedback from our guests and learn that you find our property, accommodations, ambience and other hotel facilities met with your like.

We have well noted on your comments and we will try to make any possible improvement to make this a place apart at The Sukhothai Bangkok even more better.

Hope to welcome you and your family back in this upcoming future.