“Fabulous!”

The Sukhothai Bangkok
Ranked #31 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Happy staff, excellent service, great food! Not the most modern hotel for sure, but a very comfortable, relaxing stay. Lovely overall atmosphere, and low-rise accommodation blocks set in landscaped gardens so you don't feel at all as though you're in the middle of a city. Didn't have time to try the spa this time. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will be back again very soon!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review of your stay at The Sukhothai Bangkok, We are delighted to hear that you satisfy with the service from our staff, our decorations and atmosphere of both hotel and accommodation. It would be great if your next visit allow you a chance to experience our wide ranges spa treatment at Spa Botanica.

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Booked 2 nights in Sukhothai over a weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the experience

What was good:

1. Very nice relaxed ambience. Stepping inside from the BKK traffic there is an air of serenity that pervades the hotel.

2. Good efficient check in. Accompanied to the room and dealt with politely.

3. Nice room, great TV and entertainment system. Bathroom big and clean

4. Good health club with fairly modern equipment

What I didnt like

1. Pool area had lot of flies and if someome is playing tennis its noisy as tennis court is next to the pool.

2. Location not the greatest but taxis plentiful so no issues getting around

3. Recommendation from concierge for a thai restaurant was ridiculous. It was in fact a grubby chinese restaurant with poor food. The street food close by was much better.

4. Food in the thai restaurant in the hotel was average (service was good though).

Overall a nice experience and I would recommend the hotel for a nice weekend away.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thoughtful review and point out your recommendations. First of all, we are truly thrilled to learn that your recent stay at The Sukhothai Bangkok was a pleasant one and that the hotel’s ambiance made you feel relax and welcoming.

For the other comments and recommendations, we will pass on to our management team for further investigation and respond.

Look forward to see you come back and stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Very good service and nice hotel property however the rooms are showing a bit of aging. It is compensated for by the ambiance to some extent. The people of bangkok have a lot of respect for this property and you can tell. I have read that they have a very nice brunch which I will have to try next time I am in town.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this review on Trip Advisor. We are truly appreciated your compliments on our hotel ambience and our spacious room. Hope your next visit at The Sukhothai Bangkok will be an even more special experience and please try our exceptional and legendary Sunday Brunch.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I sent the below message to the confirmation desk while I was still staying at the hotel and sent a copy to their duty manager afterwards - both have gode unanswered.... And the rates have steadily increased during my.5 last stays at the hotel - and with quality deterioating => my rating of only two

Dear Sukhothai Hotel

I am coming to the end of yet another stay at your hotel - and feel obliged to provide you with feedback on my stay - as I have experienced quite a decrease in customer experience when compared to my last stays (stayed 4 times at your hotel last year - this year if business picks up may result in 8 - 10 more trips to Bangkok / need for hotel accomodation)

Here is the feedback - listed in order of my experience - and hence not necessarily in order of priority:

(1) Executive experience / Fasttrack at the airport upon arrival - excellent time in terms of getting me through the terminal (litterally les than 5 minutes from walking off the airplane to being through immigration to curbside waiting for the hotel limousine to arrive(!) - only to experience to wait outside in the humid Bangkok morning air for almost 10 minutes before the car showed up. Really a shame as what would have been excellent service at Sukhothai level ended up being less than positive execution.

(2) Room check-in - upon arriving I was quickly escorted to my room to complete the check-in (room upgrade courtesy of the hotel) - only to find that the electricity wasn't working in the room. Instead of quickly finding another room I was afsked to wait in the blacked-out room with your staff while the issue was resolved - took about 15 mins. Had it been a three star hotel this would have been expected - but did not meet my expectations for Sukhothai hotel

(3) Warm and friendliness of staff - during my many previous status at your hotel I have always appreciated the personal touch of your staff who would go out of their way to remember guest names and greet guests in the hallways - and I don't know why this is suddenly not the case for my first stay here in 2013. During my two days I was only once greeted in the Collonade restaurant by name - and never by any other staff - and hallway greetings or even acknowledgements have been at a bare minimum if even at all

So although all the physical surroundings are still the same, still an excellent food experience for breakfast - the experienced quality has taken a serious drop from the level that I experienced throughout 2012 stays - and for my next stay in February / March I am very tempted to try out alternative accomodation in Bangkok - either InterContinental or Kempinski - as there are several other 5 Star experiences in Bangkok

If you have any questions or would like for me to elaborate please feel free to write back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Michael N
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to The Sukhothai Bangkok.

I am the most concerned to read through your comments, as our valued returning guest, your comments are most valuable in helping us serve you better, and helping us to ensure that your future expectations are met each visit. On this occasion, we regret to learn that services had been shortfall in many key areas, ranging from having to wait for limousine at the airport, electric black out in your room upon arrival, and the staff were less "customer-focused" in terms of guest recognitions and addressing you by name.

We must apologize and separate email had also been sent to you. Please rest assured that department heads concerned will be reviewing how we could have started more positively and maintained better service delivery throughout your stay in the future.

You have always shown valuable support to The Sukhothai Bangkok and we truly appreciate the business support. We very much look forward to demonstrating our continuous improvements and to welcoming you back on your future trips to Bangkok.

Best regards,

Pattama Yoshimura

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at The Sukhothai Bangkok from 21 - 23 Jan with my boyfriend. What I like about the hotel is the friendly and great service we've received especially during breakfast at Colonnade and during check-in. Coming from the hospitality industry myself, I could feel the genuine warmth from the service staff that is truly coming from the heart and not doing things for the sake of doing it.

The room was comfortable. Love the bathtub. My only concern was that the pillows were too soft. We also enjoyed swimming and relaxing at the pool in the evening.

As we had an early flight out on 23 Jan, the front desk had made an arrangement to prepare a big breakfast box with croissants, sandwich, banana, a bottle of orange juice, etc so that we could have breakfast on the go at the the airport. That was thoughtful and greatly appreciated.

I would recommend others to stay here and would definitely return to the hotel whenever I visit Bangkok.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this wonderful compliments, we are truely appreciated your kind words towards our staff at The Colonnade restaurant and our Front Office staff which we will definitely share with the team accordingly.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoy in-room facilities, however regarding your comment on the pillow, next time you can try choosing other types of pillow from our pillow menu which we assure you will find the perfect one.

Glad to hear that you will think of The Sukhothai Bangkok when you have a chance to return to Bangkok and we are looking forward to welcome you back as well.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I love this hotel, and previously stated it is my favourite hotel in Asia but on a recent trip a lot had changed.

The hotel is great, although rooms are beginning to look tired with wordwork needing varnish and scratched floors.

Service wasn't up to usual standard either. All the bell boys seem to have changed and gone is the friendly attitude replaced with poor service. Front desk were excellent, as always.

Again pool service not as good as usual.

I'm guessing the economy is leading to cuts but the only thing that differentiates this hotel from the tons of 5 star hotels in BKK (most half the price of this one) was the service. If that has fone, rates will fall over time.

I'm sure if you've never stayed there before you wouldn't know any difference, but as a regular guest I feel let down.

I've given a very good rating as I feel it unfair to mark down on one stay, but if its the same next time it will be my last stay as there are plenty of other awesome hotels (some in the same street) but half the price.

Hopefully they get their 'mojo' back.

Dear Guest,

As a valued returning guest, your constructive comments are most important in helping us maintain high standards and ensuring that your expectations are met each visit. We regret to learn that on this past occasion, you had encountered some unpleasant stay experience spanning for poor guest's recognition skill from our Bell team, the service by the pool and the maintainance of the guest room. Please be assure that the hotel has maintenance schedule in place, and we are not compromising with the service quality by cutting cost. The level of staffing in this this hotel is by far higher when compared with many luxury hotels in Bangkok.

We apologize for all the inconvenience caused and please rest assured that department heads concerned have already been briefed to improve in the needed areas. We will also make improvements in our service consistency and do our best to make each of your stays a most comfortable one.

We assure you that this is an isolated incident and that the Sukhothai Bangkok team can indeed do better to accommodate you. We do hope however that we will be able to make good on the poor impression we have made and would like to think that we may be able to continue to welcome you back to The Sukhothai Bangkok in the near future.

Best regards,

Pattama Yoshimura

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Amazingly quiet peaceful place in the middle of Bangkok. Although it caters for business and functions, you are not disturbed by these things. The pool is delightful, the rooms gorgeous, and breakfast delicious. They even permitted a very late check out. Although it is a quieter location, Lumpini Station is five minutes walk away, and so it is easy to travel to busier parts of the city.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear such compliments on our location, accomdation, pool as well as the breakfast which we intend to make you enjoy with a vareity of Western and Asian selections as much as you prefer. Hope we will have a chance to welcome you back again in this near future.