“Perfect hotel to provide a great combination of a relaxing getaway but with easy access to the city when you want it”

The Peninsula Bangkok
Ranked #10 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed March 19, 2010

We wanted to have a short getaway to a relaxing warm location with a bit of luxury and the chance to experience the Bangkok citylife when we had the energy to do so. The Peninsular delivered exactly what we wanted. Our room with a balcony was lovely - it was a good size, very comfortable and provided everything we needed plus some more. Having a bath watching live English football on the television set into the wall above the bath was one version of heaven.
The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. The restaurants were all very good offering excellent quality food, served in a very friendly and efficient manner.
The pool area is very attractive and it was easy to spend two days around the pool just relaxing.
The Spa was also very good - with free access to sauna, steam room and hot and cold plunge pools. I thoroughly enjoyed my first Thai massage and can recommend that experience to anyone - I felt great afterwards. My only slight criticism was that the quoted prices for the Spa excluded the compulsory 10% service charge but after it had been added to the bill I was asked to sign, it was also made quite plain that a gratuity was expected as well. The service was excellent but I feel you should either accept that you will pay a set service charge or you should be left to determine what gratuity you wish to pay - to have both seems unreasonable.
The location was perfect - on the right (quiet) side of the river with extremely easy access to the city via the hotel water transport which was frequent and great fun to use.
Even though we were there at the same time as the red short demonstrations the hotel was an oasis of calm and we never felt anything but completely safe and well looked after.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kmkEssex
Write a ReviewReviews (4,618)

Reviewed March 18, 2010

We stayed in the Peninsula hotel for 3 days in Feb. Oasis in busy Bangkok, definitely the best hotel for its facilities, services and location. We had a grand deluxe room, which has a large bathroom and a door separating bedroom from the entrance. Love the boat going cross the river and everything at the hotel. The dinner buffet at the Riverside restaurant is fantastic, so much food and so well presented (see photos attached). Swimming at night is absolutely beautiful and romantic. I also tried the Peninsula Spa, the atmosphere and environment is first class, the treatment I still prefer my therapists at home. We will stay again in our next trip to Thailand.

2  Thank You_Ke
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I've stayed at the Peninsula Bangkok a lot of times by, so I just wanted to share with fellow travelers my views about this hotel. Quite simply put, the Pen is in my humble opinion the best hotel in the world.

Yes, as others have pointed out, the hotel won't blow you away immediately. The hotel is somewhat older, and if you're accustomed to all the bling you typically see in the newer Four Seasons, Mandarins and Banyan Trees in other parts of the world (probably not in BK because they're even older than the Pen), you may be disappointed initially. But a great hotel is much more than fancy design -- it's about comfort and service. And that's where the Pen is unsurpassed. The service is absolutely perfect, yet personal (eg., the concierge could even help me buy contact lenses while we're out shopping). The room, while not the biggest or the fanciest, is extremely comfortable. All the light switches, electronics, etc. are completely intuitive and right by the beside -- no fiddling around to turn off all the lights before you go to bed at night (surprisingly, I've been to many hotels that are far more expensive and fancy with these bedside controls don't actually control all the lights for some reason). The entire property is absolutely spotless -- not a scratch or a stain could be found on the carpet or any furniture (they never give you wrinkled magazines in the room, which is a pet peeve of mine) -- and the view from every room is gorgeous. True - there is no bling in this hotel. But the entire property oozes understated elegance.

Most recently, I stayed here with my wife as the last leg of our honeymoon. Even though we just stayed at much newer and fancier resorts that are 3 or 4 times the price of the Pen, I still felt that the Pen was the best. Not to mention, upon learning that we're on our honeymoon, the hotel (even though it was nearly fully booked during the CNY peak period) immediately gave us a room upgrade, and when entered the room, there was a bottle of champagne, fresh orange juice, a box of chocolate and some desert waiting for us. Service just doesn't get much better than that.

4  Thank TenchiNini
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Was there on honeymoon. We normally stay in 4-5 star hotels in the US (where we live) 8-10 times a year. The quality of service and rooms are the best we have ever seen! We stayed in the grand deluxe 1bedroom suite with a price of about 22,000 baht (about 800-900 USD) a night. Lots of free stuff on check in inc discounts to hotel services. The am breakfast was of high quality (on par with a 5star hotel in the country). They have a river boat service which was very useful. Only issue with the hotel was that the bar drinks were a bit weak by US standards, the cost on par with a 5star hotel in the US.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank orangeSanFrancisco
Reviewed March 15, 2010

The Peninsula Bangkok is really hard for me to review. It was an amazing hotel. The staff got us into our room even though we arrived at 9am. Everyone was very helpful. The hotel itself is kept up and super clean. The rooms were typical Peninsula, very classic. Not the most modern room (no flat panel TV, the phone looked right out of the early 90's), but because its a classic luxury hotel, that was fine. The pool area was very nice. The boats that take you across the river are great fun, we actually enjoyed staying on the other side of the river. And the breakfast was awesome, although pricey for Thailand. But I just can't give it 5 stars after staying at the Four Seasons Chiang Mai. The Peninsula just wasn't as nice and didn't blow us away in the same way. The Peninsula seemed big and not very personal after stay at the Four Seasons. There's nothing wrong with the Peninsula at all, but it didn't re-define my idea of luxury the way the Four Seasons in Chiang Mai did. That being said, I would certainly stay at the Peninsula if I'm lucky enough to visit Bangkok again.

1  Thank D-ro24
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Stayed for one week and loved it. Service is amazing - the staff are friendly and attentive. Its very clean and the we ate at all the hotel restaurants. All offered different styles of food. Top quality. Rooms are spacious, we had a great river view. Love the extra touches like the remote control curtains and a tv inset into the marble bathroom!
The Spa will hit your walletr hard, but you can use the fitness suite anytime at no extra cost. This includes the steam room, sauna and jacuzzi. The outdoor swimming pool is the best I have seen at a city hotel!
I would recommend this hotel to you!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank diamondworldwide
Reviewed March 9, 2010

The room and the service was outstanding. I travel 26 weeks out of the year, and this Hotel stands out among all the rest

Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business