“Peninsula lives up to the Standard they've set”

The Peninsula Bangkok
Ranked #11 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 26, 2009

Peninsula Bangkok was a real treat and I give it my highest rating.

This is the second Peninsula I’ve stayed in; I was in the Peninsual Hong Kong in 2004 and this was just as spectacular.

THE GOOD:
I had won a contest, so I did not pay for the room. Therefore I can not comment on the price to value.

The room service was unbelievable. The staff was professional and friendly. The food was not overpriced and it came quickly. It was very good.

The breakfast buffet on the pier was one of the best spreads I’ve ever had. The bacon was deliciously crisp. The eggs were made without being runny. The French toast was fluffy and fresh. That was the key. Even if you were getting food out of the warming plates, they tasted fresh and not like they’ve been there forever.

The Pier shuttle was incredibly frequent and very easy to use.

Beds were firm and the sheets were very nice. Turn down service was nice.

The Master switches to control the lights and the drapes worked very well.

The Bathroom was exquisite. Two sinks; one for him and one for her. The shower always warmed up quickly.

The views from the Grand Deluxe room was great.

THE BAD:

Having to leave.

CONCLUSION:
If you are ok with the price, then I think you should book this hotel. It was beautiful and well kept. Staff was friendly and helpful. In an area where there are a couple real 5 star hotels, the Peninsula keeps up and is fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank binaural02

Reviewed January 26, 2009

To me, this is the ultimate city hotel experience. Service is unparalleled, the hotel is sumptuous and the location cannot be beat. From the flowers you get on arrival to the legion of attendants who fall over themselves to be helpful, this place is hard to beat. Some of my favorite touches -
- the slippers laid out on a cloth by your bed
- the legendary friendliness of all the staff I interacted with
- the pool which was nothing short of magical at night
- the way dry cleaning is returned to you - so pretty (looks like a wrapped gift complete with a flower!) that you don't want to open it!
- welcome snacks on our first night
- the incredible view of the river
I would never stay anywhere else in Bangkok - it is that perfect.

• Stayed: May 2008
4  Thank Tink1234
Reviewed January 17, 2009

Fabulous hotel. Well placed for seeing the city. Room was large, comfy and very clean. Buffet breakfasts on the river front a delight (you could go in the air conditioned room but the ambience by the river was great). The river ferrys were a real treat. Would recommend the dinner excursion on the original Thai boat with Thai meal - stunning. Would also recommend the hotel's own chocolate ice cream (MMMM!!) and no stay in a Peninsula should be without at least one afternoon tea in the foyer.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Garden3
Reviewed January 16, 2009

We stayed here for the first part of our honeymoon and loved every moment, it was a real treat to be picked up by the hotels Rolls Royce from the airport! On arrival at the hotel we were given flowers and then taken through to our room which was a suite on the 12th Floor, the room was amazing with chocolates, champagne, biscuits, fresh fruit and juice to welcome us, the room was very luxurious and we had wonderful views over the river. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly, we really felt that we were given the star treatment. The pool and spa area was lovely, we ordered cocktails from our lounge beds and relaxed, everything was kept very clean and tidy. The breakfast was amazing with a lot of choice, we particularly enjoyed being able to go outside to the hot food area for more choices and dim sum, and the BBQ pork balls were fantastic! It was easy to get out and about and we jumped on one of the boats that the hotel provided to make trips back and forth over the river, again all the staff were so friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay again on our next visit

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bobbinuk
Reviewed January 15, 2009

You'd have to twist my arm for me to find fault with this hotel.

If you twisted hard enough the only thing I could say against it is that there is no tea/ coffee making facilities in the room. A nice Nespresso or plunger pot coffee would go down a treat.

Twist my arm much further and I'd say why didn't they make part of their 60 meter pool with a shallow children's area? Still didn't stop them enjoying themselves though.

So many deluxe hotels promise the sun moon and stars and then just fail to impress but I really couldn't fault this one. It exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Christine747
Reviewed January 13, 2009

Only stayed for one night but thought everything about the hotel oozed class and professionalism. Loved the balcony room where you could actually sit outside and watch the river change from day to night. Had an excellent buffet dinner and breakfast at the River Terrace and the pool area is beautiful right on the river.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if in Bangkok and couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Veryfussy
Reviewed January 10, 2009

We stayed at the Peninsula for 3 nights, 29th Dec – 2nd Jan, at the end of our holiday having spent Christmas on Langkawi Island, Malaysia, at the wonderful Tanjung Rhu.

We had been in Bangkok last year and loved the city.

Last time we stayed in the Shangri La, fell in love with the river view, went for dinner one night at the Peninsula, were blown away by the service at the Terrace restaurant, and decided that if we ever came back this was the place to stay...

We booked 3 Grand Deluxe rooms and subsequently upgraded one to a balcony room (only an extra BHT1000 / £20 a night but on reflection probably a mistake).

Our flight times coming up from KL were changed by Thai Airways, post the BKK airport trouble, and I emailed the Pen to advise revised arrival time of 2230 – as with all my other email correspondence the response was prompt, efficient & polite, so no worries in that department.

Very efficient minibus service arranged at the yellow desk in the BKK baggage hall and a pleasant (i.e. he didn’t drive like the usual Formula One Bangkok taxi drivers) journey into town.

Met at the front door by a posse of lovely helpful bell boys and escorted to reception to check in – unfortunately that’s where the civilised efficiency ended...

OK, there were 6 of us checking into 3 rooms, but with no other guest in the reception area it should not have taken the interminable time to process us, and a little friendliness might have eased the somewhat uncomfortable feeling, which was exacerbated by the constant coughing of the male receptionist, one of two who attending to the paperwork.

Check in completed at last and I enquired of the female receptionist where we might get a drink before retiring to bed – was the bar still open? She didn’t know, but she made a phone call (presumably to the hotel bar) and reverted to say, yes indeed the bar was open until 2345 – now, I would have expected a receptionist at one of the world’s best hotels to know the answer to that one without having to phone a friend...

Let me show you to the lift, she said, and off we trotted on the 10 yards journey – we only got half way there when SHE stopped to enquire whether our rate included breakfast... No idea, you tell me, I said... so off she went to find out, telling us we could find the rooms ourselves and she would phone up shortly with the answer...!

We think there was another receptionist hovering during the excruciating check in process waiting to escort us to our rooms, but unfortunately, what with complicated questions concerning bars and breakfast she must have lost interest – or maybe if you’re on a “room only” basis you don’t get shown to your room in the Pen.

The rooms are very very comfortable and show no signs of wear or tear – we would recommend the Grand Deluxe over the Balcony Room simply due to its extra windows overlooking the river. The latter have but one balcony window which does restrict the view of this magnificent river – our mistake.

Part of the plan for what was a fabulous holiday was to have the best of both worlds – Christmas on Langkawi and New Year’s Eve in Bangkok, so having taken the plunge with the Peninsula we decided to really splurge on having New Year’s Eve dinner there as well.

Dress formal; pre-dinner cocktail reception in the Lobby; Gala Buffet Dinner on the Peninsula Lawn & Terrace; Orchestra; Band; Singers; Fireworks... BHT12,200 (£240) a head.

Our dinner jackets, long dresses et al came with us from Ireland.

We came back to the hotel, on their fabulous launch service across the river, on New Years Eve afternoon and whilst I was showing the troops our table for dinner – white table cloth, white chair covers, very smart, 100% prime position on the river, spectacular! – I noted it was laid for 5 covers instead of 6.

We dropped by the Festive Events desk in the lobby to point out the mistake. You’ve only paid for 5 they said – no, 6 I said – let’s have a look they said...ooops, yes 6, OK we’ll re-lay the table. While I’m here, I said, tell me how the cocktail reception works? Our table is booked for 9pm and the reception starts at 7pm – Don’t worry, it just rolls on until you go for dinner, unlimited cocktails – Excellent! We’ll be down at about 8.

Now, if someone had told us that the cocktail reception FINISHED at 8pm, we might have avoided the embarrassment of trying to explain to the chap, who was intent on whisking us straight to our table an hour early, that we really didn’t want to by-pass the lobby just yet...! We were parked in the bar instead – not a cocktail nor another dinner jacket in sight!

Our table for dinner had indeed been reconfigured to accommodate 6 people, unfortunately however the table extension was wrong way round, so your knees didn’t fit, hence another kerfuffle while a squad of waiters rearranged it yet again!

I had requested a wine list, three times, (by email prior to arrival and twice in person) but was always told it wasn’t available just yet. Nothing, I am sure, to do with the eye watering prices – but no matter, this is New Years Eve so to hell with it!

Now, when it says “dress Formal”, correct me if I’m wrong but I usually take it to mean “dress Formal” – dinner jacket for the guys, dresses for the girls... Of course it may be a tad more laid back in this neck of the woods, so I have absolutely no problem with relaxing the rule a bit – but jeans and t-shirts? Umm, I don’t think so...

To be fair, the majority of our fellow guests did make the effort, but the straw which broke this camel’s back was when the next door table, which had been laid for 2, who clearly turned into no-shows, was stripped down to the wood at about 2300 and given over to 3 of the aforementioned jeans & t-shirts brigade intent on bagging a ringside seat for the fireworks, complete with bottles of beer and Marlboro lights.

The buffet was impressive, the fireworks truly amazing, the band absolutely fabulous - we danced the night away into the wee small hours and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. But, on reflection, we didn’t need to part with the best part of £2000 for the privilege.

Complaints - and yes we did - were met with polite apologies and the apparently standard “I will tell my superior” – nothing more heard!

A combination of the aforesaid, and some other niggly problems, sadly result in an overall 2 out of 5 from us this time.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family