“Benchmark for other hotels”

The Peninsula Bangkok
Ranked #7 of 880 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My one week stay in the Peninsula Bangkok was a great experience and started already with the pickup by the Hotel Limousine in the train station. Arriving at the hotel, I was warmly welcomed and directly escorted to my room, where check in was done. The breakfast buffet was the best I ever seen in the world and also the food in the other restaurants was delicious.
But the best part was doing a Thai Cooking class in the Peninsula Academy. Having a market visit with a personal charming guide including using the Hotels own Tucktuck (of course with leather seats) followed by the cooking class lead by the head chef of the Tiptara Thai restaurant was a really special experience, recommendable to anyone who likes cooking.
The hotel has the right mix between modern infrastructure and high class style of a 5 star premium hotel with all the necessary discretion.
For me it is clear, that any other stay in Bangkok will be in the Peninsula and the stay is also a big buy in to chose other Peninsulas in other cities.

Room Tip: I was glad to have a balcony to enjoy the marvelous night view over Bangkok
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The Peninsula Bangkok

Reviewed December 2, 2012

fabulous hotel,from the very moment when their personel picked us up from the airport after a long, long flight and drove us to the hotel where a lovely young lady was waiting for us outside the hotel, lead us to our (up-graded!) room and took care of all the check-in formalities there. There was complimentary fresh fruit, plenty of water, bisquits/candies/cakes/chocolate every day.

the pool area is really nice by the river, boys filling your water glasses all the time.

but best of all were their boats that took you on the other side of the river!Such old fashioned charm and an extreamly handy way of travelling!

Peninsula was not my first choice for Bangkok (the other one was full but we tried that one month later) but from now on it definitely will be!!!! Hope to spend another wonderfull week there next autumn.

the only MINUS was on our last day;it was raining outside heavily and so they had to acomodate everyone to have their breakfast inside, a complete caos, to be honest.

however I did forgive that incident because they took such good care of us at the airpost when leaving as well.

but as I said, will definitely be back!

Room Tip: have a river view and not too high because it is great fun seeing the various kinds of boat going by...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank liisa k
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed 6 nights in the Peninsula.It was the first time in an hotel of the Peninsula Brand. Our touroperator arranged a free upgrade to a suite.
The Room was large and comfortable . ( 2 toilets, 2 tv's ) We had a beautiful view on the river and the city at the 17 floor.
The hotel is very clean. Check in was quick but very cool. You have to stand at the front desk, no drinks, no cool towel.No warming welcome.
Concierge desk is very helpfull .
Breakfast was a good choise and food was ok, but every morning the same.
Service at breakfast was very good and friendly. You can have breakfast at the Terrace with the view on the river
The boats who bring you to the skytrain station or to the otherside are fabulous.
We had a very good deal and a very nice stay but expected more from a 6 star hotel.
The bell boy, same man at transportation desk was very arrogant. Because we ordered a meter taxi and no BMW Limo for transfer to the airport ?
After tipping he changed attitude !

1  Thank Mieke4803
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel continues to be top notch but incredibly can sometimes be booked for just over $200.00US. Spend the money and book a hotel car from the airport. It starts the luxury experience. All rooms are spacious with good views. Of course being on the river is the best part.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade using Amex Platinum
2  Thank sbp0713
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The peninsula hotel Bangkok, located steps from the Chao Praya River, is clearly one of the top hotels in Bangkok. It is impossible to go wrong choosing this hotel. Surprisingly, there were a few (minor) features of this hotel than could definitely be improved. First, check-in was done in an extremely cold manner, which shocked even my son, who normally doesn’t react much to such things. I have a feeling she was having a bad day or was under a stressful state at the time of our check-in. Second, I was surprised that coffee and tea was not provided in the room, but there was a hot water maker and a teakettle. I asked for and received coffee and tea, but to my great surprise saw that they brought Lipton yellow tea bags and Nescafe instant coffee, which you can get in cheaper (3-star) hotels. I compared this to the Sukhothai hotel in Bangkok that we stayed at the day before arriving to the peninsula where we had an Italian coffee maker with Italian capsules. Now for all the positive points. Our room was a grand deluxe, not large, but of ample size. We actually made a mistake in our booking. We had one free upgrade so we wanted to go from the deluxe room type to the one-bedroom suite, but instead we went from the deluxe to the grand deluxe. Anyway, our room was tasteful, stylish and comfortable, and most importantly, we had a fantastic view of the river. My only complaint is that part of the room had wall-to-wall carpeting. The bathroom was spacious (two sinks) with separate shower and toilet. The outside grounds were nicely done and attractive. The pool was divided into a quiet area and a kid area, which was a nice feature for those looking for a peaceful and tranquil setting. The breakfast (choice of sitting outside by the river or inside) is one of the best I have experienced in Bangkok, but other Bangkok hotels are comparable (e.g. Four Seasons, Sukhothai and Siam Kempinski). We did not use the spa. We had afternoon tea, which was very nicely arranged. Free, fast and reliable wireless is offered. The Peninsula's complimentary ferry service was very efficient. We did not use the spa or gym. In general, this is without a doubt one of the better hotels in Bangkok. Probably, the two best Bangkok hotels are the Oriental Mandarin and the Peninsula, which are also the most expensive (makes sense I guess!).

Room Tip: I would recommend the one-bedroom suite, especially if you could get the upgrade free or at a reason...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lshapspro
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I just LOVE the Peninsula in Bangkok! I have stayed at many other of the top hotels (Oriental, both Sheratons, Sukhothai, ) and can honestly say that the Peninsula is the best. I once checked into the Shangri-La for a week's stay, and checked out a few hours later...and went back to the Peninsula.

The Peninsula is on the "other" side of the river, meaning when you are finished with a day of sight seeing and shopping, you make your way to the Peninsula Pier and get on a little boat which gently makes its way across the River, depositing you at the fabulous hotel. You leave all the hustle, bustle, noise behind you and land in tranquility.

The rooms are gorgeous, with fabulous views of the river and city. All the usual top-end amenities, and wonderful bed linens and great great bathroom.

I usually wake up early because I can't wait for the fabulous breakfast! I always eat outside, at a table by the river. A huge buffet, with fabulous tropical fruits, freshly squeezed juices and of course, eggs, bakery, etc. It is sometimes HOT outside, but still, sitting by the river, is so relaxing and wonderful.

The spa is expensive, so I usually just go into Bangkok for a foot massage ($10 or so per hour) or go to the Mulberry Spa on Silom Road for a fabulous Thai massage. Take the boat across, and then walk to Silom Road. Easy to get to.

The Peninsula is also near the Skytrain Metro, so if you want to go say to Chatuchak market, I highly recommend the skytrain. You will avoid incredibly bad traffic, and enjoy the air conditioning and quick ride. You do need to change lines, but it is easy and clearly marked.

In summary, the Peninsula is super wonderful, and I recommend it whole heartedly!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank N R
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is the place to stay when in bangkok... Great oasis from the crazy city. Convenient location right near skytrain station. Always a ferry there to take you across river. Great service. Amazing breakfast.