“Very very good”

The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #18 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Did an overnight stay in a Royal Club room on our way out of beloved Bangkok. Booked directly with the hotel and got a great rate.

I prefer more contemporary style hotels but Plaza Athenee was done very well in traditional hotel style.

Room was as expected - comfy bed, high quality linens and curtains (I'm a blackout curtain freak). Simple light operating system bedside - anyone else experienced that middle-of-the-night-in-a-new-hotel-stumble-to-find-the-light-switch-kick-your-toe-give-up-and-go-back-to-bed-thirsty ? Huge user friendly bathroom with good quality self-branded products provided including mouthwash. Club level was good timing - 6 to 8pm which allows for a full day of Bangkok-ing before heading back for bevs and a pretty delicious array of substantial nibbles. Extraordinarily extensive buffet breakfast, yumyum dimsum. Excellent location 4-5min stroll to Ploenchit BTS and 7-10 min stroll to Lumpini Park. 75bt tuktuk ride to SuanLum night market.

However, the main area I must mention is the superb staff. They were the best I have experienced for a very long time. From arrival to departure we were treated with personal and genuine service from all staff we encountered without it being OTT. This was not simply because we were in a Club Room (which so often happens) I stood back and watched the same service offered to every person that walked into this property.

We will definitely continue to use Plaza Athenee and will recommend it to all who travel to Bangkok.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KI6871

Reviewed October 8, 2010

This is a fantastic hotel in Bangkok. Great location right next to the BKS Train Line and right near the Suan Lum Night Bazaarand various other shopping outlets. We also stayed at the Club Tower at Lebua (pls see my review) but Plaza Athenee was in a better location in terms of a walkable distance to a sky train. There is no queue for taxi's like the at the Lebua. The Plaza Athenne is a very personable five star hotel whereas the Lebua isn't very personable- just a trendy hotel.

We had a Club Room which was spacious and well maintained. This also gave us access to the Club lounge which served fantastic canapés and drinks. The staff at this hotel are just superb. So welcoming and very efficient. Very professional attitude and you do not feel lost in the hotel unlike some big chains. The staff always greet you and most know you by name which is a warm welcome. They are also so helpful with places to visit and see and provide some great tips.

The roof top pool is one of the best in Bangkok- highly recomended.

The hotels's breakfast is just amazing- you are completely lost for choice. The Hotel Bar serves amazing drinks too!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelCrazy0
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Went to KL before my trip to Bangkok. I have never heard of this hotel as I usually stay at the Four Season. However, it was recommended by a friend in KL to try it out.

The hotel is very well maintained and the staff are very attentive. I like the small little coffee house they have at the lobby for a quick bite. The overall experience is very pleasurable and the bellman is very friendly.

However, one thing weird is we never seem to get a cab to go back to the hotel. No cab driver seems to know where is it. You really need to know the language to get around.

Overall, it is a good stay and my husband was very pleased that this hotel was recommended.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

It has been more than a year since I reviewed the Plaza Athenee in Bangkok so when the pursuit of a business opportunity returned me to Southeast Asia I was hopeful for another stay, if for no other reason than determining if the last time was just a fluke. When that opportunity brought subsequent meetings and interviews it also brought multiple stays over a short period of time.

My bottom line - last year was no fluke. This truly is an exceptional property. Indeed, having extra time to kill between meetings meant I could spend more time examining the small stuff at the hotel, and I came away very impressed.

The big delights from my last trip were still here: the great location, the beautiful lobby, the large rooms and excellent dining. But it was the aforementioned small things that really help separate the Plaza Athenee from its five-star competition.

First, the hotel knows exactly how to walk the line between sincere and obsequious customer service/ recognition. Like a great waiter, the staff seemed to always be there when I wanted them, and never around when I didn't. It was routine for them to address me by name, with no prompting from me - and I was staying on the lowest available rate so please do not think of me as a VIP of any caliber.

Second, the housekeeping staff adjusted to my schedule and demands without prompting. When they noticed I drank all the complimentary water the first few days, a few more bottles were left thereafter. Same for the towels and bath amenities. If I used everything, a few more would be left to ensure I had what I needed. The staff knew when I was out and cleaned the room accordingly, leaving me time to use the room to do work as needed.

Third, the food-service staff remembered my likes and dislikes, perhaps even better than I know myself. For example, I enjoy fresh fruit and noodle soup for breakfast. On a few morning I arrived late to the buffet, having been working in my room. Each time one of the busboys prepared a plate of fruit for me, again without prompting, upon seeing me so as to ensure I had some before the buffet closed.

And, well, I could list examples like these all day. These are the small things that make for a great hotel stay, where the lowest paying customer is made to feel like a dear and cherished guest. By the time I completed my third stay in a little more than six weeks I came to appreciate the words spoken to me by the bellman every day - welcome home.

I may not have found my perfect gig in Bangkok, but I have found the nearly perfect hotel.

PS: for even faster access to the BTS, exit "the back way" from the second floor. A short walk though a small shopping street (closest 7/11 is there) and you're at the up-escalator for the skytrain. Brilliant!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Emmyx2
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This hotel was fab! From the moment we stepped through the doors we were treated like royalty.
The attention to detail in the hotel was just amazing.
The staff were highly efficient and very friendly indeed. The food was tremendous. I would strongly recommend the club rooms - they are worth the extra money to get the wonderful views from the lounge and the amazing afternoon tea and evening cocktails. The pool was like a mini oasis - so quiet and peaceful in the midst of the madness of Bangkok.
Our only problem with the stay was that we wished we had stayed longer!
Thanks to all of the staff for a great start to our honeymoon.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tori_Louise
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I usually do not write reviews but the staff at the Plaza Athenee deserves a big nod. I often visit Bangkok and stay in this hotel. It has all the things needed to provide a great experience - location, style, good food and nice rooms, but the staff is exceptional. They have gone the extra mile to help me feel welcome and take care of any special requests. And they do it with a smile. If you place a premium on personalized attention, I would recommend you give this place a try.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank camel88
Reviewed June 20, 2010

I have stayed at Plaza Athenee at several occasions during the past year, and I have absolutely nothing to complain about. The location is great with a BTS/Skytrain station nearby, great shopping is just a few minutes away by foot (Central Chitlom shopping mall and All Seasons Place), or a few minutes by BTS/Skytrain (Siam Paragon, Siam Center, MBK, Emporium shopping malls). The staff is always nice, friendly and professional.

The restaurants at the hotel is great, I especially like the French restaurant ‘Reflexions’. Outstanding! Also, the Sunday Brunch offered at the Rain Tree Café is great with a huge selection of gourmet items, everything from imported oysters, Alaskan King crab, Maine lobster, Wagyu beef, to nice desserts and cheeses. The Rain Tree Café is also where the breakfast is served and this is one of the best hotel breakfasts I have tried.

We always stay at the Royal Club floors which offer complimentary afternoon tea and evening cocktails which is great value and have a great selection of snacks and drinks. The lounge staff is also very nice and accommodating.

The rooms are nice and clean with floor to ceiling windows which offers a great view over the Bangkok skyline. The beds are nice and comfortable and the bathroom is spacious. The pool area is lovely with a lot of flowers and trees, and there is also a small roof garden. The fitness club has everything you might need at a hotel and there is also a squash court.

Plaza Athenee is a great hotel that most likely will not disappoint you and it offers great value for your money. Don’t cheap out with a regular room, stay at the Club level and spoil yourself with all complimentary treats offered at a small additional cost.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family