“Last minute change of plan.”

Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel
Ranked #16 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Last minute change of plan.”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Due to the demonstrations we had to change our plans and this meant a change of hotel.We were originally slap bang in the middle of one of the demos at the Intercontinental but took advice from locals to move to plaza athenee.Its a lovely if slightly dated hotel.Buffet breakfast very good and right next to the BTS at Ploenchit really excellent for getting around and close enough to a lot of the shopping areas to walk if you want.
Only negative was that it was expensive,we were charged 5200 baht +taxes for a double room,seems very expensive particularly in light of the demonstrations,I would have thought closer to 4000 would have been a fairer rate but we had no time to shop around.
A very nice stay in a very nice hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear PW28603,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you appreciated our central location and that you also enjoyed our signature Le Méridien Breakfast Buffet. Please note that we are currently in the process of refurbishing guestrooms this year in order to ensure that our guests continue to receive the high standard of the facilities. Should you be planning a visit to Bangkok in the near future, kindly do visit our Special Offers page on our website, here we feature a wide variety of special offers and savings that I am sure you will find good value in.

Thank you once again for your kind comments and we all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

ChooLeng Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed January 22, 2014

it's almost 10 years since I visit this hotel. first time

and nothing changed after 10 years!. Excellent!

I stayed executive room

Check in was on the executive lounge
and the room was great

Breakfast was excellent

Room was wide and clean

and the pool was great
Gym was good too.

will visit again whenever I can.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dtracy99
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear dtracy99,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience of your recent stay with us in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing it on TripAdvisor.

It certainly is rewarding when a valued guest such as yourself considers our hotel to be excellent and remain the same after 10 years of service. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in our Le Royal Club and that you also had time to make use of some of our leisure facilities.

Once again, many thanks for your kind feedback and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel for another memorable stay.

Gilles Evrard
Hotel Manager
Bristol
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed in one of the Royal Club rooms for 6 nights on the 24th floor and could not fault the room we were given. Great service in the royal club lounge. Breakfast taken in the Rain Cafe one of the best we have had in a long time and the choice was excellent. All of the staff in this hotel could not have been more helpful. Hotel close to the Sky train which made it easy to get around to see the sights.
Would recommend this hotel for either business or pleasure. Great stay and thanks to all the staff who made us so welcome.

Room Tip: Would stay in one of the Royal club rooms as these are situated on the higher floors
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jilly92
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Jilly92,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien and for taking your precious time to share your review on TripAdvisor.

We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Service is certainly one of our main focus areas in our hotel and your kind feedback is a true reflection of what we strive for. I will be sure to share your kind feedback with the team and I am sure that they will be delighted to know that their efforts were appreciated. Our signature Le Méridien breakfast in Rain Tree Café certainly does offer a wide variety and I am happy that you enjoyed it.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback and recommendation. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Dakar, Senegal
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I chose the Plaza Athenee because it is right next door to the office building where I was attending a training and because a colleague gave it a good review. I wasn't disappointed. The staff in particular were always very gracious and helpful, the room was very comfortable, and the spa and gym were both very nice. The only improvements I would suggest is that they 1) put a top sheet on the beds (only a duvet), and 2) vary the breakfast buffet a little from day to day. While the buffet is HUGE, my gluten restrictions meant that all the pastries, crepes, waffles, cereal and other yummy things containing wheat were all off limits, so I was kind of stuck with the same eggs, sausage, potatoes and beans every day. Unless I wanted salad for breakfast. Great selection of fruit though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Debbie G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are thrilled that your recent stay with us met your expectations. Thank you for highlighting our associates, as well as our Spa and Gym. I will most definitely look into your suggestions to see were we could possibly improve our offering in the future. Upon your next visit, please note that our chefs would be more than happy to prepare any additional special requests that you may have for gluten free cuisine.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback, it is important to us as it allows us to continuously improve. We look forward to welcoming you back to Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

seoul
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

With the experiences longer than 10 years period of frequent visits and staying at many Bangkok deluxe hotels, I had the most bewildering experiences at Plaza Athenee during my 5 days stay in Jan. 2014.
On arrival, they were confused of finding my booking wasting my time about 20 min. Right after checked in, I found the toilet bowl not completely cleaned up but I try to forget it. However, during my stay, I found bunch of hair dust in the room closet and vacuum needed carpet floor but never done during my stay even if I asked for. It was unbelievable that I even found blood like stains remained on the deeper side of the bed linen.
I have some obnoxious experience with a staff service at an executive club lounge. One of the male staff suddenly took my tea pot while I have gone to restroom only for less than one minute. When I asked "where has my newly-served tea pot gone?" He never said any "sorry" in stead his attitude was kinda challengeable and blaming for my responsibility of leaving the seat. (Again it was less than one minute vacancy) Amazingly, similar thing happened at the lobby cafe. One staff suddenly took my just-got dish while I went grab some drink - This time a female staff apologized at the moment, I felt much better to sooth my self.
The finale of the bewildering experiences with Plaza Athenee was an email from the hotel after I checked out and returned to my home country. The hotel email noticed that ...they accidentally made 'double payment' from my credit card and would refund it in two weeks...Have I really stayed at a hotel brand under Le Maridien?

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear SeanSung,

Kindly accept my sincerely apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced during your recent stay with us. Your feedback is of great importance to us as it allows us to continuously monitor and improve the service we offer all our valued guests. This certainly does not represent our normal service standards and I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me on E-mail so that I can further discuss these unfortunate incidents with you.

I trust that you would not judge us solely based on this experience and that you may consider giving us the oppourtunity to welcome you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Victoria, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We'd just spent 2 weeks in Nepal and had a 4 night stopover in Bangkok to relax at the end of our holiday. Our criteria for the hotel in Bangkok was: to have a good size pool , have a good gym and to be walking distance from restaurants, shops, skytrain etc.........we were so pleased to find that Plaza Athenee definitely had all of these.

We spent a lot of time in the pool area we we've been to Bangkok a few times so have already done all the sights etc. We loved the pool area - the pool is really good size (long enough for laps) and there's lots of sun lounges and umbrellas to choose from.
The gym was also really good (4 treadmills, 4 x-trainers and couple of bikes as well as lots of various weight equipment).

Our accommodation room was lovely and clean and had a super comfortable bed and pillows. The bathroom was a good size.

The hotel location was excellent with the sky train just around the corner and the big shopping centres around 20 minute walk (or 2 sky-train stops). There's also a great little supermarket a few minutes walk down the drive way.

We loved our time at Plaza Athenee and it provided exactly what we were after for our stay in Bangkok. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank summer2345
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear summer 2345,

Thank you for sharing your refreshing perspectives of your recent stay with us at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel on TripAdvisor.

It is truly inspiring to receive such positive feedback from a valued guest such as yourself. I am delighted that your stay with us was comfortable and that you especially enjoyed your time spent around our Lagoon styled swimming pool. Our hotel does indeed enjoy a central location just a few minutes’ walk away from Ploenchit BTS station and I am thrilled that you appreciated it.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback, we hope to welcome you back soon for another memorable stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I had an oportunity to stay at Plaza Athenee again for business in early January. The hotel is again setting an example of what other Starwood hotels in Thailand, let alone worldwide, should be adopting. I will be talking about that later.

Upon check in I was taken up to the club lounge for check in and once again got upgraded to its Deluxe Suite with separate living room and 2 televisions (1 in living and 1 in bedroom). It is worth noting that the hotel offers complimentary washing/pressing of 2 pieces per guest/stay. So if 2 people staying in a room a total of 4 pieces of laundry could be done. Not a lot of Starwood hotel in Bangkok, if any, offer the opportunity to wash clothes for its platinum guest who book its standard room (unless you are paying for executive club room). as far as I remember. Big thanks to them on this. This is entirely minor but I wonder why my door slammed so hard when shut. Not sure if this happen to all doors but whenever I leave my room and let the door shut by itself its probably at least 60 decibel! This can be quite annoying for somebody who is trying to goto sleep and hear my door slam shut at 1-2am.

I did not have time for the happy hour on this trip so cannot comment on this. Breakfast wise, I think it is abit boring and for the past 2 times that I stayed at this hotel, my scramble egg and omlette were as dried as a rock! Although there are large spread of choices but I think its nothing special so I ended up having lesser than usual.

To me, Athenee is an average 4.5-5* hotel comparing with other fine hotels in Bangkok and in fact the room is fairly dated and am happy to hear they plan to undergo renovation soon. However the one thing that set this hotel apart from other hotel is that it employs one of the best people in the hotel industry. I think one of the best and most wonderful group of people that working at the hotel undoubtedly has to be club lounge attendants. Perhaps it's worth mention the name of 2 lounge attendants that I came across and I like to specially thank them (K. Nat and K.F) who I beleive are one of the best staff at Athenee and had the loveliest attitudes that I ever experienced. I think this is pretty much down to the hotel's management who have help maintain such a high service standard in such a fierce and competitive hotel market in centre of Bangkok. Ms.Choo Leng Goh I hope you are reading this :)

I will undoutedly be coming back to stay at this hotel again and looking forward to see its new room after renovation is completed.

Room Tip: High floor room facing the greenery or US embassy is nice
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank SPGLovers
Dear SPGLovers,

Thank you for your continued support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor with me.

Your kind words and feedback certainly inspire us all to continue providing the highest levels of service to all our valued guests. As you have mentioned in your review, this year we are indeed initiating a refurbishment of our guestrooms to ensure that our valued guests continue to receive the highest standard of facilities. I would also like to thank you for highlighting the excellent services of Khun Nat and Khun Morakot from our Le Royal Club Lounge, I will be sure to share you kind words with them.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.