The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Peninsula Bangkok(Bangkok)
Paragon Inn(Bangkok)(Great Value!)
$54
$21
2,833 results
All reviewsrain tree cafesmooth currythe royal club loungeroyal meridienraintree cafeglaz barwireless roadspg membercentral embassybreakfast buffetdim sumthai restaurantbusiness triplumpini parkbts stationvisit bangkokamazing hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I had an oportunity to stay at Plaza Athenee again for business in early January. The hotel is again setting an example of what other Starwood hotels in Thailand, let alone worldwide, should be adopting. I will be talking about that later.

Upon check in I was taken up to the club lounge for check in and once again got upgraded to its Deluxe Suite with separate living room and 2 televisions (1 in living and 1 in bedroom). It is worth noting that the hotel offers complimentary washing/pressing of 2 pieces per guest/stay. So if 2 people staying in a room a total of 4 pieces of laundry could be done. Not a lot of Starwood hotel in Bangkok, if any, offer the opportunity to wash clothes for its platinum guest who book its standard room (unless you are paying for executive club room). as far as I remember. Big thanks to them on this. This is entirely minor but I wonder why my door slammed so hard when shut. Not sure if this happen to all doors but whenever I leave my room and let the door shut by itself its probably at least 60 decibel! This can be quite annoying for somebody who is trying to goto sleep and hear my door slam shut at 1-2am.

I did not have time for the happy hour on this trip so cannot comment on this. Breakfast wise, I think it is abit boring and for the past 2 times that I stayed at this hotel, my scramble egg and omlette were as dried as a rock! Although there are large spread of choices but I think its nothing special so I ended up having lesser than usual.

To me, Athenee is an average 4.5-5* hotel comparing with other fine hotels in Bangkok and in fact the room is fairly dated and am happy to hear they plan to undergo renovation soon. However the one thing that set this hotel apart from other hotel is that it employs one of the best people in the hotel industry. I think one of the best and most wonderful group of people that working at the hotel undoubtedly has to be club lounge attendants. Perhaps it's worth mention the name of 2 lounge attendants that I came across and I like to specially thank them (K. Nat and K.F) who I beleive are one of the best staff at Athenee and had the loveliest attitudes that I ever experienced. I think this is pretty much down to the hotel's management who have help maintain such a high service standard in such a fierce and competitive hotel market in centre of Bangkok. Ms.Choo Leng Goh I hope you are reading this :)

I will undoutedly be coming back to stay at this hotel again and looking forward to see its new room after renovation is completed.

Room Tip: High floor room facing the greenery or US embassy is nice
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank SPGLovers
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear SPGLovers,

Thank you for your continued support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor with me.

Your kind words and feedback certainly inspire us all to continue providing the highest levels of service to all our valued guests. As you have mentioned in your review, this year we are indeed initiating a refurbishment of our guestrooms to ensure that our valued guests continue to receive the highest standard of facilities. I would also like to thank you for highlighting the excellent services of Khun Nat and Khun Morakot from our Le Royal Club Lounge, I will be sure to share you kind words with them.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I recently stay a couple of time in this very fine property; It has all the right set of facilities and service is truly very pro active and accommodating. The staff at Lounge/club is not only very efficient but friendly. One good thing about this property is its ideal location close to shopping and very easy accesses to major spots of bangkok.
Last I am always very pleased to see that Management is truly visible and walking around, meeting with customers...a rare occurrence in many hotels unfortunately!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank jjbali

Dear jjbali,

Many thanks for your continued support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

It is a delight to learn that you appreciated the high level of service offered by our associates in Le Royal Club Lounge. Your positive feedback regarding our service, facilities and location is highly appreciated. We endeavor to deliver an inspiring and pleasurable experience to all our valued guests and your feedback is a true testimony to all the efforts we have put forth.

Thank you once again for your kind comments and I hope that there will be another chance to welcome you back Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Le Meridien took over this hotel, this is doesn't have the modern, more business like atmosphere than most. A mix of old and new world charm. Quite grand, but the decor could use some updating . We stayed here twice over a two week vacation and felt like we we're at home. As a Starwood platinum member, we were upgraded twice, the second time to a huge suite. Excellent club room. An actual gym.
Seemed be priced with other similar hotel, although not a bargain. Location was central and near a BTS Skytrain, but only one line. Near enough other things, but not really withing waking distance to any attraction.

Room Tip: Note- this hotel (and the many, many others you'll see in this and nearby areas) are not near the old city/china town where many of the tradition attractions are. It will take you a while to get to those attractions and this and most other hotels. There are only a handful in those areas.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear David G,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our luxurious Royal Club Lounge along with our state of the art gym. We are also delighted that you appreciated our central location, only minutes walk from the Ploenchit BTS station. Please note that we are initiating a refurbishment of our guestrooms this year to ensure that our valued guests continue to receive the highest standard of facilities.

Thank you once again for sharing your kind comments. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Our family stayed several times (for a total of about 8 days) at the Meridien Plaza Athenee during a vacation around Thailand and Cambodia. We used it as our base as we explored the region for several weeks. I cannot say enough about the great experience we had at this hotel. The location is perfect - close to transport and the shopping/business area. The staff is excellent - helpful, friendly and welcoming. The rooms are spacious and had every amenity. We stayed in both the connecting rooms and the juniors suites and all were very nice. The breakfast buffet is one of the best with something for everyone from dim sum to waffles and bacon and everything in between. There is also a lovely pool and exercise room, as well as a club floor with snacks and drinks throughout the day. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will stay here again when in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor as you are in downtown Bangkok and do not hear noise of the city when higher.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank mary m

Dear mary m,

Thank you for your continued support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for taking your time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

It certainly is rewarding to receive such positive feedback from a valued guest such as yourself. I am delighted that you appreciated so many areas of our hotel along with excellent service from our associates. I will be sure to share you praise with the team. Our signature Le Méridien Breakfast does indeed offer a wide variety of cuisine and I am thrilled that you feel it is one of the best.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel during your next trip to Bangkok.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed at the Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel only for one night as we were transiting through Bangkok. The highlight of the hotel is the staff, very friendly and they make you feel at home. We arrived earlier than our check-in time and the receptionist was very diligent in finding us a room. The rooms are a little bit tired and perhaps nothing to write home about, the shower pressure is fantastic though, kind of the standard that you would expect from a hotel in this category, but the rate was very reasonable and made up for the lack of a 'wow' factor. The swimming pool is great, and we ate one of the best burgers ever whilst sunbathing, prices for food and drink are again reflective of the star category. The location of the hotel is very reasonable with access to a good transport network. The hotel doesn't have the grandeur or the charm of other Meridien hotels, but definitely they make up for it with good service and attention to their customer service. The concierge service is great and the guys are superb at ensuring that taxis will use their meter and they even give you a copy of the taxi registration just in case you were to encounter any problems. We would recommend this hotel for short stays and as a very reasonable 5 star given the value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple