“With Mass Political Demostrations-A weicome Oasis in City”

Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel
Ranked #21 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Bangkok, Thailand
“With Mass Political Demostrations-A weicome Oasis in City”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Finely connected to different routes the hotel is safely accessible to and from.If the demonstration is on wireless road-you can come and go from behind or side whatever need maybe which was very useful if I was staying in Siam Square area or Rajdamri road.The hotel is very well managd great pool,great food and great ball room facilities(I attended a wedding there),fantastic business facilities and great lobby bar.

Room Tip: You can book a front side room overlooking beautiful gardens of US Embassy residentiaL
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Anthony577,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Our hotel is indeed located in a strategic area with multiple accesses from several roads, such as Wireless Road, Ruamwadee Road and Sukhumvit Road, which provides our guests easy access to the hotel. I am glad that you found our hotel to be well-managed providing great facilities for business and wedding functions. It brings me great delight to also know that our food selection was to your liking.

Thank you once again for your kind remarks, we hope to have the pleasure of your company at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Gilles Evrard
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Islamorada, Florida
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is probably my eighth or ninth stay over the years at the Plaza Athenee in Bangkok, Thailand. Things that I really like about Starwood property are its great customer service, including the staff (particularly Khun Nat) of the Royal Club Lounge. Its location close to the BTS Ploenchit Station, wonderful breakfast buffet, the spaciousness of the rooms, and great spa and pool facilities make for a winning combination.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NICHOLAS K
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear NICHOLAS K,

Thank you for taking your time to share your kind feedback on TripAdvisor and for staying with us at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you found the service provided by our associates to be outstanding and that you thoroughly enjoyed our signature Le Méridien breakfast We do indeed enjoy a central location, near Bangkok’s popular shopping mall such like Siam Paragon, Central World, Platinum Mall to name a few.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Singapore
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Although there are many good business hotels in Bangkok, this is my favorite hotel for my business trips to Bangkok. The service is good and it is worthwhile to upgrade to the club floor/rooms where the service is excellent. The hotel is walking distance to the MRT and several embassies and office buildings.

Room Tip: You should try to upgrade to club room and floor. It is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kerkwijk1972,

It is certainly brightens my day to know that we are your favorite hotel for your business trips to Bangkok. I am also delighted that you chose to experience our Royal Club which does offer some exceptional benefits such as afternoon tea, evening cocktails, which includes an open bar with a selection of drinks and hors d'oeuves to name a few. We are indeed centrally located in the heart of Bangkok and I am glad that you find it convenient.

Thank you once again for your kind remarks, we hope to welcome you back soon to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We spent three nights in late Nov 13 and I must say I wished it was longer. We stayed in a Royal Club Room which was perfect for our needs and the Club Lounge access was fantastic. Even by Thai standards the service and attention in the Club Lounge was sensational. Extra special mention must go to Ep who was so friendly and charming and made our stay there really special. Also Nat and Marisa who were great. The location is very close to Ploenchit Station which gives access within a few stops to all the major shopping malls, there is a cut through the adjacent office which gives escalator access to the station if you have trouble with stairs. The hotel is situated about a ten minute walk from Lumpini Park so if you are a keen walker or jogger it is an ideal route to take. Can't say how much we enjoyed this hotel, take the Club Lounge option and relax in comfort after the buzz of Bangkok. Most highly recommended

Room Tip: Royal Club room was perfect for a couple.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Robert A,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing such kind feedback on TripAdvisor.

It is certainly rewarding when valued guests such as yourselves appreciates the personalized service of several of our associates in the Royal Club, I will be sure to share your kind feedback with them to further reinforce all their efforts. We do indeed enjoy a central location, minutes’ walk from the Ploen chit BTS station as well as the Lumpini Park and several shopping centers, I am delighted that you found it convenient.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here again as this luxury hotel has all that one could want. Great restaurants, convenient location, professional and friendly staff, as well as comfort and class at every turn. We enjoy the Royal Club lounge benefits and use it as a base for mid-day and pre-dinner drinks and snacks. The breakfast buffet is top notch with the customary great service we've come to expect and enjoy. Smooth Curry stands heads above all other "Thai original" restaurants either in a hotel or elsewhere in BKK. Concierge service is exceptional and I would hightly recommend this hotel to anyone for any visit to the City of Angels. Perfection is hard to come by but Plaza Athenee approaches that standard.

Room Tip: Royal Club lounge is a great addition but all rooms are more than adequate.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Critical1
Dear Critical1,

Thank you for staying with us at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing such kind feedback on TripAdvisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support, we are privileged to have a loyal guests such as yourselves. Our Royal Club does indeed offer some fantastic benefits and I am delighted that you appreciate them. I will also be sure to share your kind feedback with Chef Jasvir and her team in our award-winning Smooth Curry Royal Thai restaurant. I am also glad that our Concierge team was able to assist you during your stay.

Thank you once again for your kind review, we hope to welcome you back soon for another memorable stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 27, 2013

As hotels go Athenee was really perfect.

Location is right in the middle of everything so it wasnt far too go to temples or shopping or restaurants or anything. and public transport links from here are good so didnt need to get stuck in traffic much.

The service staff at front office were really professional but at the same time personal touch and nice. Also met one housekeeper who was VERY nice and sweet.

The room was absolutely amazing with a really good view. The bathroom and bedroom were both done with expensive high quality everything. and every amenity was there. Spot on.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Moonwalker78,

Being described as a perfect hotel certainly is one of the greatest compliments we can receive from a valued guest such as yourself. I am glad that you appreciate our central location only minutes from the BTS as well as several major shopping malls and attractions. Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our associates, I will be sure to share them with the team.

Thank you once again for your kind review, we hope to have the pleasure of your company at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is the first SPG hotel I have stayed in where I really felt they recognised and rewarded my elite status with their loyalty programme.
Upon arrival I was whisked up to the club lounge for check in, offered a drink while they did so. I had arrived early so was offered breakfast while I waited for my room to be made available, papers to read, etc. They upgraded me to a junior suite as that was ready for occupancy before my room.

As it was a suite, the room was spacious and well laid out with a clear sitting area and sleep area. The bed was as comfortable as one would expect from this chain.

The pool area was big, with plenty of available sunbeds when I was there. I also appreciated that I had the choice of which direction I faced without having to re-arrange furniture. The staff by the pool were attentive bringing me a cool towel and fruit nibbles - it is these small touches that make all the difference.

The gym was a decent size with plenty of cardio equipment, a selection of resistance machines and free weights. The one thing I couldn't find was a mat to stretch on.

As I had club level access I ate breakfast there. The selection of pastries, cheeses, meats, fruit and cereals was more than adequate. There was also a chef on hand to cook eggs any way you wanted them. The best attribute though was how much more peaceful it was compared to what breakfast buffets usually are.
I also popped in for some afternoon tea later in the day but did not exploit cocktail time.

Reflexions, the French restaurant on site was world class. The service was aligned to western standards and faultless in its delivery. The food was amazing. I opted for their 4 course deal which they warned me would mean smaller portions than if I ordered a la carte. This suited me just fine.

Silk Road, the on site Thai restaurant could do with some cross-training from their colleagues in Reflexions....or maybe not - perhaps some people prefer the eastern standard of service. The thing that sticks in my mind is the waiter showing me to the table stood between me and my chair, blocking my way and then looking at me strangely wondering why I wasn't proceeding.

Location-wise, it is a short walk to a sky train station which then has you connected to the network.

Room Tip: loved the junior suite they gave me, though I am not sure I would have spent the extra money on it m...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Skatexplorer,

Thank you for taking your time to share your kind feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent stay with us in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

The SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) loyalty program does indeed provide some exceptional benefits and we are delighted that you appreciated them. I am glad that you liked your Junior Suite, our Royal Club Lounge as well as all our leisure facilities that we offer in the hotel. Furthermore, I am thrilled that you had the chance to enjoy some of our award winning venues in the hotel such as The Reflexions French Restaurant, which certainly is world class, as well as our Smooth Curry Authentic Royal Thai Cuisine. We have noted your comments regarding the difference in the service between the venues and we will certainly address this with the team to ensure that we continue to improve our service consistency.

Thank you once again for your kind remarks, we hope to welcome you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.