Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel
Ranked #21 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Los Angeles
“Loved it”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We have stayed at many hotels in Bangkok. Plaza Athenee was definitely one of our favourites.

Great staff, great service, really nice rooms. The night we stayed, there was a huge hi-so wedding. Even with this huge event, the staff was phenomenal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank d0ndequiera
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Dear d0ndequiera,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post this review and I truly appreciate your wonderful compliments on our hotel and our team. From time to time we do indeed handle large events such as weddings and I was delighted to learn that our team, the facilities and services met your expectations.

Thank you once again and we hope there will be another opportunity to welcome you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

ChooLeng Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in Bangkok pretty late, so naturally, we checked in pretty late. When I asked for 2 double beds instead of the usual King sized bed, they gave me a free room upgrade since they could not provide me with that for the standard room. This, of course, is already a plus.

Throughout my stay, the staff has been very helpful and spoke decent enough English, which made it easy for me to communicate with them.

It is also very nice that the hotel security gives you a copy of the taxi number the minute you get in one, so unscrupulous taxi drivers ( of which there are a lot!) can be reported to the Land Transport Authority.

Location is quite good as there are a lot of ways to get back to the hotel to try to beat the Bangkok traffic.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GIAJane
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Arlenejane,

Thank you for sharing your refreshing perspectives of your recent stay with us at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel on TripAdvisor. It is inspiring to hear that our associates were very helpful and that you were easily able to communicate with them.

Should you have any plans to visit Bangkok in the future, please do visit our special offers page on our hotel website; I am sure you will find several of the offers appealing. We are very much hoping for another opportunity to welcome you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Bishkek
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Our stays in Thailand this year have been those of a marked drop in service, quality, and most importantly for us while on holiday, the rapidly disappearing value of SPG Gold.

Plaza Athenee Bangkok is no exception to this trend.

As others note in reviews, the rooms are old and small, especially compared to other hotels in Bangkok. They are, however, sufficient.

The lobby is quite impressive, but then again, pretty much all 5 star hotels in Thailand are impressive.

Check in is relatively easy and the staff speak enough English to have a conversation and be understood.

On the down side, in the past we have always received room upgrades and extras for our SPG gold status. At this hotel we were told no rooms were available, then offered a better room for an extra $180 (what?). Until SPG devalued their program, Gold members were always upgraded.

So, what do we get for our hard earned SPG points at the Plaza Athenee? A welcome drink. We could have had internet for free, but I'd already paid for it with our room.

The LOUNGE, which in most hotels around the world is an extra 1000 points .... is 3000 here. Per person - 6000 points for a couple. Speechless....or is it really that good? I'll never know as we will go around the corner to the numerous restaurants that are great and cheap.

Room - nice but being SPG gold you'd think a SPG floor and "enhanced" room would be in order. Not at this hotel.

We will enjoy our suite, which is smaller than the standard rooms at other hotels here...and the little TV.

Bottom line, If you are going to pay for a hotel, there are much better deals than this Le Meridien, and if you expect recognition for your SPG status, don't even try.

Room Tip: Give up on trying to get what you want, they won't help you.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank nzuzbrad
Dear NZUZbrad,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this review on TripAdvisor. I value your feedback and I am certainly concerned that we did not meet your expectations.

We do indeed value your loyalty and support as we always endeavor to meet our valued SPG member’s expectations. As a valued Gold SPG member we should have indeed offered you an enhanced SPG room and I would like to apologize for our shortcomings. I will most definitely look into this matter and I do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.

I would also like to thank you for your feedback about the bedroom. For your information, we are planning to initiate a soft refurbishing of our guestrooms in order to ensure that our guests continue to experience the high standard of facilities.

I do not believe that I had the opportunity to personally meet with you during your stay; however, I would appreciate it if you could take the time to contact me at chooleng.goh@lemeridien.com should you be planning a visit in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Good:
Location, near my work, good resturants nearby, sky metro 5 mins.
Alisa and her team will look after you very well at Smooth Curry... so good I went twice in 4 days.
Great buffet breakfast.
Excellent service throughout hotel.
Very decent outdoor pool.

Not so:
No teapots at breakfast, tea is not so good with a bag in a cup! (however they did fetch one for me).
Noisy guests at 3am outside my room, I think one was sick... but I can't blame that on the hotel.
Beers in the bar are far too expensive, I only made the mistake once. This is silly since they are much cheaper in their restaurants and 1/4 as much in local bars but I guess the price keeps it quiet.
Steam room had no steam and the suana is a micro one.
No iPod dock.
Internet cable too short.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear TheZud,

May I take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and sharing your kind review on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed the service and cuisine at the Smooth Curry and our sumptuous signature Le Méridien breakfast buffet in The Rain Tree Café. A great breakfast always gives a great start to the day, and we strive to deliver this pleasant experience to all our valued guests. I will certainly share your compliments with the team.

I will definitely look into your comments regarding our Steam room and the length of the Internet cable. Bangkok does indeed offer exceptional value for money within many of its Bars, so we too have launched a variety of Special Promotions in our Glaz Bar which I am sure you will find appealing.

Last but not least, I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and we hope there will be another opportunity to welcome you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

ChooLen Goh
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed two nights during my recent trip at Plaza Athenee. I had been having bad experience of paying with credit cards in Thai land, especially in Airports, they price everything in Bhat and than they use a bank fixed rates for conversion and make you pay in dollars. This is usually 2-3% difference between the bank rate. When I went to pay my bills they did the same. They asked me to pay 297 USD for the Thai Bhat I had to pay. I asked them to give me the bill only in Thai Bhat and they cancelled the payment and than gave me the bill in Thai Baht and that for my bank conversion came only to USD 286.50 + 1 % conversion rate (which i get back as reward points).

This is an unacceptable business practice for a 5 start hotel. I have had good stay previously, now and also had good ratings for their restaurant. The rating is terrible due to to bad business ethics. Hope they will amend and inform the customers about the currency of charging.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Jeevaduraisamy,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Plaza Athénée A Royal Méridien Hotel, Bangkok and for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience that occurred with you regarding the bill settlement. For your information, we have options of dynamic currency changes and I do apologise that our associates had not been proactively presenting this option to you. We have already advised our associates to be more cautious and proactive when one of our guests is advised to use foreign currency to settle their bill. The option of dynamic currency is an additional service for any guest who would like to have the bills in their local currency, however understand there would be potential currency loss as our functional currency is Thai baht, and in Thailand we are allowed to have transactions in Thai baht.

May I thank you once again for your feedback and hope this clarifies your issue. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2013

-stayed here for 4 nights in March 2013
-Nice hotel , very beautiful lobby
-rooms are nice and clean but not very modern, bathrooms are old and they need to be renovated
-The buffet is great , the quality and variety of items are amazing , but extremely expensive , same kind of food is much cheaper in US or even in Canada
-Location is good
-nice and friendly staff
-The internet is very expensive and they only give you 1 hour complimentary for your full stay. From the ads on their website, it seemed that you would have 1 hour daily
-Overall, the most amazing part of this hotel is the lobby, the rest is just OK
- I would not stay again at this hotel with this price , although I am a big fan of Meridien hotels

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MS111traveller111
Dear MS111traveller111,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel during your recent visit to Bangkok and sharing your feedback of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are extremely appreciative of your review as we do value all feedback.

Regarding your feedback of our guestroom and bathroom, for your information, we are planning to initiate a soft refurbishing in our guestrooms in order to ensure that our guests continue to experience the high standard of facilities. I regret to learn that the pricing of our buffet and internet did not meet your expectations. On our buffet in the Rain Tree Café, we endeavor to offer a wide variety of cuisine using only the freshest ingredients, so that we may cater for a diverse clientele. Perhaps, you may consider enrolling in the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program, as we do indeed offer SPG members select benefits and promotions when dining within our hotel. With regards to our Internet prices, kindly note that in addition to the complimentary 01 Hour Internet access that we offer in the guest room, we do also offer 24 hour complimentary Internet access in our Lobby and Public Areas.

I do hope that you would consider staying with us upon your return to Bangkok, as we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

ChooLen Goh
Hk
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Le Meridian was always a luxury hotel in my mind. Once I enter the hotel the lobby's theme is very stylish and spacious. Check in was very quick and the staff were very friendly, they would ask how your day was even you met them on a lift.

The only thing I was surprise was the room, its not as luxury as I thought. Especially the bathroom, it does not look like a 5 star hotel to me. Although it doesn't look new but the room was still clean and the bed was very comfortable.

We stayed here for couple days for meeting inside the hotel, function room is good nothing really special to mention. I did visit the gym, the equipment are very new. If the price is lower then I think it would bring me back, but for the price that we are paying. I'm sure there are more other hotels to choose.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ctkwan
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Ctkwan,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking your time to write this review and sharing your experience of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to learn that your arrival experience exceeded your expectations and that our associates were very friendly. We endeavor to offer all our valued guests an efficient check-in process so that they can quickly reach their room and have a good rest after a tiring journey.

Thank you for your feedback about the bedroom and bathroom condition, for your information, we are planning to initiate a soft refurbishing in our guestrooms in order to ensure that our guests continue to experience the high standard of facilities. I am grateful for your feedback as such information enables us to continually monitor and improve the service we offer. I am also pleased to learn that you appreciated our new state-of-the-art gym equipment.

Kindly note that we do feature a variety of special promotions and packages on our hotel website. Should you have any plans to return to Bangkok, please visit our special offers page on our website to find a suitable room rate or package for your future stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.