The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok
Ranked #21 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Lovely Hotel Well positioned in easy reach of the Sky Train. Only 30mins car journey to Bangkok's International Airport
European feel to the hotels interior however, it is run on traditional Asian high standards
My room was on one of the higher floors with very good views over the City The room bias very well appointed with a very comfortable Queen bed The bathroom had a bath and separate shower, the shower being extremely powerful, which suited me
My stay included a Buffet breakfast, that seemed to cover most people's needs.

Room Tip: High level rooms are the ones to go for
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Clive A,

Thank you for writing your review on TripAdvisor following your stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

I am thrilled to learn that you found the location of our hotel to be convenient and that the room facilities to be comfortable. Our breakfast buffet in the Rain Tree Café does indeed offer a wide variety of cuisine which I am glad you were able to experience.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback and I hope that we will have the privilege of welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

ChooLeng Goh

There are newer reviews for The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok

Reviewed March 6, 2013

To make a long story short, I do not stay at this hotel.

The female staffs are all nice. I am not intend to talk in details because it makes me really frustrated. This hotel is like...feels like monitored by security camera like you did something wrong.

The breakfast buffet's content.....you get bored in 3 days. Most of them are the rotation of the same food. Japanese Miso Soup tasted salty with MSG, dim sum is just a few kinds, same staff, deep fried Gyoza which was like out of frozen package, funny baked beans, I know it's French hotel but almost no Thai style. No Thai curry, no Pad Thai noodles, no Thai desert nor concept. There was no healthy rice, just porridge everyday, no brown/white rice but variety of unhealthy looking beautiful pastries.

The room is nice and big and the bed is comfortable. Shower pressure is pretty good, maid service is excellent. But with this price, I found a better deal with so much better service.

If I pay the same amount to stay, I will choose another hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Lama_123,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Plaza Athénée A Royal Méridien Hotel, Bangkok and for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to learn that you enjoyed several aspect of our hotel. However, I am concerned that our Signature Le Méridien Breakfast did not meet your expectations and that you feel unpleasant during your stay with us. Please rest assured that we do value all guest comments and will definitely look into each of your concerns with the team to see how we can improve the service we offer. I would appreciate if you could reach out to me at bc.bangkok@lemeridien.com so that we can further understand what we could have done better.

May I thank you once again for you kind comments and I do sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I almost decided on the final day to travel by choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Hotel
By knowing just that location wise Ploenchit station. In fact, the need to walk from Ploenchit BTS station , about 5 minutes, during which hotels to stay very cool. I asked the staff in the Okura Hotel where the way to Plaza Athénée.
I have 22 floor spacious SPG. rooms and a large new bed pillows for a comfortable bed, large bathroom, but the toilet looks like a 2 star hotel with a full range of equipment used in the bathroom. Very good housekeepers. Has provided several bottles of water and fruits.
Impressive a free internet in room.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Pnn N,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel on the final day of your trip.

I am very pleased that you liked the room, signature Le Méridien bed and the various amenities we offer. I was concerned however, regarding your comment on our bathrooms. For your information, we are planning to initiate a soft refurbishing in our guestrooms in order to ensure that our guests continue to experience the high standard of facilities.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back soon to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Usually you expect on Asian hotels the typical local interior on every spot, but this Le Meridien hotel Bangkok is different. After pickup at Bangkok Airport and transfer to the hotel - I just had to identify myself on the front desk to be guided to their Club lounge for checkin and details about the room and the hotel.

Room / Suite:

As a Starwood Lifetime Platinum member I received a wonderful suite on the upper floors with a huge sitting area, working desk (to write my blogposts for you), coffee machine, bathroom and a separate sleeping room with bathroom including shower and bathtube. So a perfect place to relax. When you looked outside the windows you won't realize that you are in the middle of Bangkok, the interior, the furniture and also the view.. it thought I am in the middle of a European or US city.

A small welcome basket with fruits on the room, coffee machine and chocolate - nice idea.

For business people and traveller with the need of an internet connection I have to say this place is really fantastic - a 40MBit connection - so you get access to all pages and files quickly.

Club-Lounge:

They serve an afternoon tea in the lounge, with different appetizers and you have the feeling of staying in an old Grand Hotel somewhere in Great Britain... great idea.

For the evening they will serve complimentary hors d'oeuvres (up to 8pm) and drinks up to eight - also very wonderful and every day a different cuisine (interesting!) - and from 8-10pm you still can order soft drinks, coffee, tea, etc..

The only problem is - if there is no service or the people of the Clublounge prefer to talk to each other in Thai language, writing text messages on their phones, so that other guests left the Clublounge without service.

Breakfast:

The breakfast at the Le Meridien Bangkok hotel will be served on the Orchid restaurant and is really huge, all kind of foods are available and also their special created signature breakfast by Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Fresh omelettes, good service - a lot of different fruits or juices. A good place to start the day.

Swimming pool:

The pool is a real cute place with Asian interior, beautiful flowers and a great place to overlook Bangkok. The area is really clean, wonderful and comfortable sun chairs. Only disadvantages (compared to other Asian hotels with category) - smoking places directly when you enter the pool-area, no towel service or prepared on the sun deck.

Location:

The Le Meridien Bangkok Plaza Athenee hotel is located on Wireless road, on a tree-lined avenue connecting the hotspots of Bangkok. The US-Embassy is in walking distance away. Plenty stores and restaurants are located around the hotel and BTS Skytrain "Ploenchit" just 2 minutes away. What I did was a walk in the morning to the famous Lumpini Park - Bangkoks green garden and I will continue to show you more about Bangkok and my look for the Lumpini Park tomorrow after the 40 pictures today on my blog :) of this hotel.

My review / opinion:

The Le Meridien Bangkok Plaza Athenee is good hotel close to Lumpini Park and only a thirty minute drive from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport. If you prefer the European interior in the heart of Bangkok, with a mostly fantastic Asian service, you will love this place - my personal opinion is...: "I will come back in the future, but the staff on the Club floor and swimming pool needs a training!"

(PRO) Location, Service (most parts of the hotel), Swimming pool, interior, Breakfast, Internet, complementary laundry service for club-guests.
(CONS) Service in Club-Lounge, service at swimming pool

Room Tip: Good hotel - upper floors are very quiet, if you have the time, make a walk to Lumpini Park
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PureGlamTV
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear PureGlamTV,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to share such a detailed and kind review of your experience on TripAdvisor.

It is always rewarding to learn that you, as one of our valued SPG Lifetime Platinum Guests, appreciated so many different aspects of our hotel. I will definitely look into your remarks in various areas, such feedback is truly appreciated as it not only enables us to continuously monitor and improve service we offer, but also ensure that such instances do not occur in the future. I also took the opportunity to visit your Blog you mentioned in this review and I am most impressed with the photos you posted of our hotel, thank you once again.

Please do let me know if you are planning to visit Bangkok in the future, we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We came to the Athenee Plaza from Le Meridien Khao Lak. The Khao lak hotel had poor service so we didnt no what to expect from the Plaza Athenee.

Well, what can I say I shouldnt have worried. We booked a club room and were escorted up and checked in on the club floor. The staff were friendly, polite, knowledgable and very kind. They have perfected customer services!

The rooms were lovely, immaculate and great turn down service and the food in the hotel excellent. We especially liked the happy hour free drinks in the club lounge and afternoon tea.

We had a wonderful stay and this was made perfect by the staff and the facilities.

When we return to Bangkok we will definately stay there again and highly recommend this hotel.

On a final note I would like to say a big thank you to Choo Leng and her staff including Mono and other club floor staff who were excellent. see you soon

Room Tip: book a club room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear PeterLoondon

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor of your recent stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

I am very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay in the Royal Club and that you found our associates to be friendly, polite and knowledgeable. I will certainly share your feedback with the team especially Mono and Royal Club Lounge associates who were excellent, as it reinforces all the efforts put forth by them.

In closing, may I thank you once again for your kind comments. I do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel, in the near future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My 3rd stay at this hotel after 2004 and 2008.
This time we stayed 1 night and requested a late check out due to late departure (20:00h)
which we got charged at half day rate.
The hotel is still very nice and the breakfast buffet kept the high standard with a vast selection of foods.
The pool is also very nice and relaxing and the rooms are still in good shape.

The only thing which is not the same anymore is the dedicated service attitude as I have known it from the past and liked it so much in this hotel. It seems to me that some staff are quite new and they have to find their way first.

Otherwise still good hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: I had a room on the Starwood Preferred Guest Floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear BeatStutz,

First and foremost, I would like to personally thank you for continuous support and loyalty towards the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed our tropical lagoon pool, your room as well as our signature Le Méridien breakfast in the Rain Tree Café. I am however, concerned regarding you feedback on some of our new associates. Please be assured that Customer Service is one of our utmost priorities and new associates undergo extensive orientation and training programs to ensure that our valued guests continue to receive the highest standards of service. I truly value your feedback and I will definitely address your concerns with the team to ensure that we are continually monitoring and maintaining the highest service standards.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review your feedback and I do certainly hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our hotel stay was really nice at the Plaza Athenee. We had Club access and food serviced at the lounge was just perfect! The facility is very clean and hotel amenities are very good.
The only problem at this hotel is really their concierge. They don't know the city well (except for surrounding areas), they give you very limited advice and options, AND they make mistakes when booking activities on your behalf (which is a problem given the language barrier in the country).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear ataha

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us in the Royal Club and that you were happy with the cleanliness of the hotel and the amenities we provide. I am however, concerned to read your comments regarding our concierge. I will most definitely look into the point you raised with the team to ensure that these mistakes do not happen again in the future. I am grateful for your feedback as such information enables us to continually monitor and improve the service we are offering.

In closing, may I thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback. We are grateful for your support and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée A Royal Méridien Hotel, Bangkok in the near future
Kind Regards,